U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,916 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am going to be relocating to the Clearwater area next year - spring 2008 with my husband and two children. I have researched as much info as I can on schools and city profiles. I have an idea of the area of Clearwater that I want to look at which is the Dunedin / Palm Harbor area but I need to know how bad really is the traffic on HWY 19? I am hearing horror stories of sitting in traffic for 1/2 hour just to move 3 miles... is that really true? Are there any construction plans for the future to lessen the congestion? Also, I am totally concerned with the "neighborhood" demographics as I have two small children and noticed that the Clearwater area is flooded with Sex Offenders. Are the statistics on this the real actuality? It seems as though every neighborhood has 100 of them on each block. Gives me chills having two kids to look out for. My husband says our best bet is to live in Clearwater, that way it would be an easier commute if we land jobs either in St.Pete or Tampa... but I am really prone to Dunedin / Palm Harbor. Does it really make that much of a difference? Can someone update me on the "safer" neighborhoods of Clearwater to live in (if we have to). Commute time info. Or any other info for Palm Harbor / Dunedin. I would really appreciate any impute!! Thank You!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 02:06 PM

471 posts, read 1,551,125 times
I have lived here since Oct. and have never sat in traffic on rt. 19 other than sitting at a red light. (From around Countryside to as far north as tarpon springs). Yes, it is heavily travelled, but unless there is a major accident, it moves----fast!!!! And this is primarily during snowbird season, there is a drastic difference in May.
If you commute to Tampa, you won't use 19 at all. And we use McMullen Booth to get to St. Pete.
There is construction on 19 in the clearwater part(coming off gulf-to-bay).
As far as commuting to Tampa, in my opinion the easiest commute is from Safety Harbor, the small part of Clearwater that borders it, or Oldsmar. Palm Harbor is not bad-Clearwater, Dunedin it depends on where you live.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 11,973 times
Hi Granta! I have lived in the surrounding Clearwater area for seven years and agree with cariad's comment that sitting in traffic only occurs when there has been a major accident. During rush hour the stop lights are synchronized and traffic flows very well. When my family moved here our two children were in 8th & 10th grade and we looked for homes in neighborhoods with the highest rated public schools, which was (and still is) Palm Harbor and East Lake. We bought a home in East Lake and absolutely love it! It's located 20 minutes north of Clearwater, 45 minutes north of St. Pete, and about 40 minutes from downtown Tampa. Depending on where you work, this could mean a 45-60 min. commute, but East Lake is a newer community with nice homes and the best schools (and a lower sex offender population). My drive time to work in Oldsmar is 20 minutes and my husband's drive time to work in Carrollwood (Tampa) is 30 minutes. I hope this helps!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 PM

169 posts, read 1,017,536 times
Moving from outside the area, we always suggest you rent for the first 6 months until you're certain where your job is going to be and how you feel about the area without a commitment to a home. It will give you a feel for all your questions and keep you from making a home purchase you might otherwise regret (every time you get in your car). Clearwater is a large area, Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Palm Harbor are all different little cities with their own unique personalities.

As for the Sex Offenders, this is a delicate issue. You really can't know what you're dealing with until you narrow down the area where you want to be (i.e. neighborhood) and then focus on the concentration in that immediate zip code or within a certain radius of a specific street address. I have 4 girls. This is a hot button with me. They are every where it seems in Florida!

The hassle of renting and moving twice is nothing compared to the aggravation of buying a home too soon and then finding the area you wish you'd seen - after the fact. Your kids will manage through the transition fine, even with a little disruption. It's a big decision that's nearly impossible to make from thousands of miles away.

Good luck to you, enjoy living in Florida - Pinellas County is a wonderful area.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:04 AM

367 posts, read 1,580,307 times
I have to agree with all of the above. East Lake/Lansbrook/etc areas tend to have higher price homes and a lot of owner occupiers which helps to keep the numbers on the SO list down. We have two children, all brought up in Seminole area, depends on where you need to be working, but if you live in East Lake, and work north side of Tampa, though the commute is busy, I thinks it's doable. If you work in Pinellas county, unless you work in downtown St Pete, then its not so bad to almost anywhere.
Living in the mid county, I like being close to the beaches, and far enough away from the busy parts of the county, but within 20-30 minutes of most parts of the county and 40-45 from Tampa and the airport. My only bugbear is when I have to drive to Brandon and that side of town, that's a bit longer.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 AM

384 posts, read 2,088,911 times
Where exactly is East Lake and Lansbrook? Is that close to Palm Harbor?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:38 AM

367 posts, read 1,580,307 times
Yes its just north of Palm Harbor, but to the East side of Lake Tarpon, hence the name, you access it off McMullen Booth road, not US19 - which is also a busy road, but less lights and distractions.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:15 PM

34 posts, read 178,733 times
I am wondering? How long of a drive would it be from East Lake in Palm Harbor to the Tampa International airport area during rush hour? Cypress to be exact. Does East Lake have a rec center? Is there anything that you can tell me. I know that New Port Richey to the airport was a little longer than we liked. Thanks

Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,969,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyfirst View Post
I am wondering? How long of a drive would it be from East Lake in Palm Harbor to the Tampa International airport area during rush hour? Cypress to be exact. Does East Lake have a rec center? Is there anything that you can tell me. I know that New Port Richey to the airport was a little longer than we liked. Thanks
I would give myself at least an hour to get from East Lake to Cypress going Mcmullen Booth rd across Courtney Cambell, Mcmullen Booth Rd can be a major cluster at rush hour. NPR to Cypress would probably be about the same but you can go out SR54 to Suncoast Prkwy and get to Cypress with a little less headache.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 AM

471 posts, read 1,551,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I would give myself at least an hour to get from East Lake to Cypress going Mcmullen Booth rd across Courtney Cambell, Mcmullen Booth Rd can be a major cluster at rush hour. NPR to Cypress would probably be about the same but you can go out SR54 to Suncoast Prkwy and get to Cypress with a little less headache.
I never take McMullen Booth to the causeway. From Eastlake/Tampa road/Memorial highway to the airport it has never taken us more than 35/40mins. during normal rush hr traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay