Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of buying a new house but am determined to avoid any kind of HOA, neighborhood associations, cda (whatever it's called) with fees and rules-rules-rules which would drive me wacko in no time.

I see an area marked "Council of Cona neighborhood." Problem: CONA (the group) is the Council of Neighborhood Associations. So I assumed that any home in this area would be HOA-controlled, neighborhood-association run (major yeck). But maybe not.....

If it is a reference to the CONA group, then the neighborhood name - Council of Cona Neighborhood - would literally mean Council of Council of Neighborhood Associations. ??? Aiiiyyyeee.....

So, is anyone here familiar with this area (33703)? Or does anyone know if there is a way to find out online what neighborhoods are in these associations so I don't waste time and energy looking there?

My current house isn't in one, which is one big reason not to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:56 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Most of the homes in St. Pete wouldn't be part of any HOA. CONA is just an association of various neighborhood associations. Neighborhood associations petition the city to do things like install sidewalks, repave streets, or do neighborhood crime watches.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:16 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Shore Acres and Placido Bayou are the two main neighborhoods within that zip code. Shore Acres doesn't appear to be militant in terms of governing, Placido Bayou does however.

Placido Bayou Community Association - Documents - PBCA Governing Documents
About Us (http://shoreacresflorida.com/aboutus.aspx - broken link)

Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 AM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times
Yes, as ferret said, most of the neighborhoods in St. Pete do not have traditional HOAs. That being said, some of these areas have a stronger sense of community and a more community driven association than traditional tract home communities and their often militant HOAs that you're trying to avoid.

Membership in these associations is completely voluntary and usually inexpensive (e.g. $35/yr.) The association might host different events throughout the year- I know places like Kenwood, Roser Park, Old Northeast, etc. put on events. If applicable, these organizations can be important for historic preservation.

I find it refreshing to be liberated from the HOA chains. If I want to plant something in my front yard I don't want to have to get the approval of the landscaping committee. Of course, this type of freedom isn't for everyone. Some people get really bothered when their neighbor's yard has a brown patch or someone paints their house a color that isn't one of the 5 allowed colors. The funny thing is, code enforcement actually prevents a lot of the most severe problems that HOAs are supposed to help with- and they seem to be a lot more effective about it. see Codes Compliance Assistance*

Best of all, you save lots of money every year by not having to pay HOA dues and CDD fees.

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Yes, as ferret said, most of the neighborhoods in St. Pete do not have traditional HOAs. That being said, some of these areas have a stronger sense of community and a more community driven association than traditional tract home communities and their often militant HOAs that you're trying to avoid.

Membership in these associations is completely voluntary and usually inexpensive (e.g. $35/yr.) The association might host different events throughout the year- I know places like Kenwood, Roser Park, Old Northeast, etc. put on events. If applicable, these organizations can be important for historic preservation.

I find it refreshing to be liberated from the HOA chains. If I want to plant something in my front yard I don't want to have to get the approval of the landscaping committee. Of course, this type of freedom isn't for everyone. Some people get really bothered when their neighbor's yard has a brown patch or someone paints their house a color that isn't one of the 5 allowed colors. The funny thing is, code enforcement actually prevents a lot of the most severe problems that HOAs are supposed to help with- and they seem to be a lot more effective about it. see Codes Compliance Assistance*

Best of all, you save lots of money every year by not having to pay HOA dues and CDD fees.

Good luck!
I agree. We aren't in St. Pete, but our neighborhood in north Sarasota is one of those historic older ones with a voluntary HOA. This neighborhood has a great sense of community, and voluntary dues are $25.00 per year, which goes toward landscaping and other community needs. We have very few rules as far as what we can or cannot do, and I really love that. It makes for a very artsy, eclectic area which I find to be immensely interesting.

Good luck - St. Pete has some beautiful neighborhoods!

Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
If I want to plant something in my front yard I don't want to have to get the approval of the landscaping committee. Of course, this type of freedom isn't for everyone. Some people get really bothered when their neighbor's yard has a brown patch or someone paints their house a color that isn't one of the 5 allowed colors. The funny thing is, code enforcement actually prevents a lot of the most severe problems that HOAs are supposed to help with- and they seem to be a lot more effective about it. see Codes Compliance Assistance*

Good luck!
Amen!! I've never lived in a HOA or deed-restricted community and it would drive me over the edge if someone started telling me what I could plant, where I could plant it, color of house.... or having a hissy fit over brown lawns during droughts.

As for neighbors that paint their house strange colors - I really don't care. If I can't stand the look, I'll plant some trees But personally, I love neighborhoods with nicely colored houses - the pastels, coral-tones, really love the look.

Gypsychic - your neighborhood sounds very nice! Eclectic areas have such character, and houses can reflect the personal style of their owners, which I think is charming.

As for code enforcement, I'm really not too keen on them either - not after the county almost fined us for having (swear I'm not making this up)....

...a small, nice patio table outdoors! seriously? where would they expect to find a patio table????

But sometimes code enforcement is needed - after a nearby house was foreclosed on awhile back, the bank did nothing to secure (much less clean) the pool, which degenerated into an algae-filled toxic soup. YECK! And the danger to neighborhood children! so we had to call about that one, sheesh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay