Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times

Advertisements

So, hubby and I have been out of town for the last couple weeks. He said he went out today to take the dog out and noticed that the tree in the corner of our yard is an orange tree! Apparently we have dozens of oranges blooming from it already - not sure if they are 'ripe' yet or not, so he's gonna pick one and try it.

But, not having a green thumb at all, how should we care for it? We're only renting this house, but plan on being there for the 4 years we're stationed here.

How long will the fruit be on the tree for? How many times a year does it fruit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
I don't think they require much serious care. I have one in the backyard that I NEVER touch, and it still bears fruit year after year. You have to watch out, though. Some trees may only produce sour oranges, which aren't the most fun to eat, but you can always use the juice to marinate meats and stuff. The oranges will stay on there until they fall off and rot, but you have to watch out for fruit rats and other vermin, who will steal them if they get the chance.

As much as I love oranges, the orange blossoms are really the best part of having an orange tree. Wait until it blooms and then go hang out in that part of the yard for awhile.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Hubby tried one, said it was a little tart, but still edible. We will probably just juice most of them. I only have a hand juicer, so we will probably go out and buy a decent electric juicer and freeze the juice. We both love OJ and spend absurd amounts of money on Simply Orange a month, so this will be a nice money break

Old 11-19-2010, 01:24 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
I want an orange tree

Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I don't think they require much serious care. I have one in the backyard that I NEVER touch, and it still bears fruit year after year. You have to watch out, though. Some trees may only produce sour oranges, which aren't the most fun to eat, but you can always use the juice to marinate meats and stuff. The oranges will stay on there until they fall off and rot, but you have to watch out for fruit rats and other vermin, who will steal them if they get the chance.

I am like you. I never touch my orange tree and yet every year I have the best oranges especially for juicing. In fact the only thing my tree gets aside from rain is one of my dogs lifting his leg on the base of the tree. I swear the secret ingredient is Archie pee.

I also agree about watching out for critters. We had a possum living in that tree for the last couple of weeks who unfortunately finally met an untimely demise at the hands, or should I say jaws, of two of my dogs. Poor thing. He shouldn't have been so greedy I guess.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:59 PM

Good to know about the critters! We get some squirrels in the back yard a lot but the oranges seem bigger than them! My dog is tiny, so i'll have to watch for the critters attacking HIM. We will probably start picking them soon. I have a feeling we will need to invest in a ladder, the tree is quite tall.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Good to know about the critters! We get some squirrels in the back yard a lot but the oranges seem bigger than them! My dog is tiny, so i'll have to watch for the critters attacking HIM. We will probably start picking them soon. I have a feeling we will need to invest in a ladder, the tree is quite tall.
Don't let the squirrel's size fool you. They like the oranges too and have no problem with the oranges being bigger than they are. I saw a squirrel chuck an orange right at one of my dog's head. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Only wish I had my video going on my phone. Would have been a you tube classic!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Don't let the squirrel's size fool you. They like the oranges too and have no problem with the oranges being bigger than they are. I saw a squirrel chuck an orange right at one of my dog's head. It was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Only wish I had my video going on my phone. Would have been a you tube classic!
A friend of mine was throwing oranges at a squirrel in an orange tree and the squirrel ran across a branch directly over him and dropped an orange right on his head when he wasn't looking, lol. Pack back

Old 11-20-2010, 08:55 AM

329 posts, read 774,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I want an orange tree
KRYLON, any color you want

Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
If the tree is full of oranges i'd say its doing quite well without your intervention..
"If it aint broke dont fix it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay