Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:26 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times

Advertisements

Apparently we had some jackhat try to break into my house tonight. My husband and I were not home, and we believe the would-be robbers were scared off either by my neighbor who spotted him kicking in our door, or my little 6 lb dog.

Our lights were out as we were out at a birthing class. Police came and toured our house while we were not even there, which does bug me. They turned on every light and went into every closet. But, that's neither here nor there. (We know it was the police that did that as the neighbor said the 'robber' did not even go into the house, they just kicked in the door and ran off when their getaway car took off)

The police seem to think we were targeted over other houses was due to the fact we had our lights out. The same car has been spotted in other areas in break-ins too. The vehicle was a blue or gray ford taurus-like car. Neighbor was not able to get the plate number unfortunately.

So, if you plan on going out of town, turn on a light or put on light timers.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Sorry about your experience. Good idea about the lights. Probably will do that and leave a radio on as well.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 AM

371 posts, read 1,191,120 times
Yes, Good idea! Last year the few days before Thanksgiving we had some burglars target our neighborhood and some others close by. They were breaking into houses that did not have a car in the driveway. This was during broad daylight. (I dont know what their logic was, as all these homes have at least a two car garage!). They hit my neighbor a few houses down the street, then went on to a nearby neighborhood and broke into a house where a 13 yr old girl was home alone. (Her parents were working). The girl heard the car pull into the driveway and looked out an upstairs window. While the thieves were breaking in a back door, she took down the license plate number, hid in a closet and called the police. So she was OK, but just imagine if she had still been in bed asleep! When the police caught the thieves after a high speed chase, they had the stolen goods from at least 6 burglarys in their car.

So maybe what I'm thinking is that if you have to go out of town, have a neighbor, friend or relative park one of their cars in your driveway if possible.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:52 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,611 times
It would be nice to know where you live!!! Ugh!

Sorry you were targeted.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Thanks for the reminder! I've been really bad about that lately.

Glad everything turned out fine for you!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:08 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,864 times
I already leave a light or two on as well as the TV.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
This is why a Home Automation System is a great idea. Not only can the system control the lights that you normally turn on and off, porch lights, security lights, low voltage lights, etc. It can also control your interior lighting automatically, day in and day out even when you are not home.
Gives your house the "at home" look no matter when.

You can PM me for more info.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
It would be nice to know where you live!!! Ugh!

Sorry you were targeted.
Oh jeez, so sorry. Did you have to be so rude about it? I'm in brandon, that's all the more I will say.

It's Cin!: The weird thing was, my husband's car was in the driveway!

Old 11-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
This is why a Home Automation System is a great idea. Not only can the system control the lights that you normally turn on and off, porch lights, security lights, low voltage lights, etc. It can also control your interior lighting automatically, day in and day out even when you are not home.
Gives your house the "at home" look no matter when.

You can PM me for more info.
Truth be told, we never looked into a light timer or security system because someone is nearly ALWAYS home. I'm a stay at home preggo and really dont go anywhere. Guess that'll teach us! Funny thing is, I just returned from a 3 week vacation only Monday night. Hubby was home for the last 2 weeks though.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:50 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Yes, Good idea! Last year the few days before Thanksgiving we had some burglars target our neighborhood and some others close by. They were breaking into houses that did not have a car in the driveway. This was during broad daylight. (I dont know what their logic was, as all these homes have at least a two car garage!). They hit my neighbor a few houses down the street, then went on to a nearby neighborhood and broke into a house where a 13 yr old girl was home alone. (Her parents were working). The girl heard the car pull into the driveway and looked out an upstairs window. While the thieves were breaking in a back door, she took down the license plate number, hid in a closet and called the police. So she was OK, but just imagine if she had still been in bed asleep! When the police caught the thieves after a high speed chase, they had the stolen goods from at least 6 burglarys in their car.

So maybe what I'm thinking is that if you have to go out of town, have a neighbor, friend or relative park one of their cars in your driveway if possible.
Damn! What town are you in?

Florida seems to have a much bigger problem with burglary and petty theft, compared to other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay