Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 PM

8 posts, read 11,654 times

Advertisements

I have been a Tampa native for around 10 years. I moved away to Raleigh, NC for about 3 then came back just 2 months ago for the support of friends and family cuz I have a 7 yr old boy.

I have to tell you, Tampa is really turning around for the better. I have noticed a huge clean up around the neighborhoods (chasing out the riff raff), USF has raised the bar and you now have to have an incredible GPA to get in, there is an increasingly amount of FREE activities to do with the family, and it's just becoming more and more beautiful.

I also notice an increased amount of awareness in improving the community by attracting higher educated employees and entrepreneurs. That is what I really am looking forward to... and I'm already seeing the change. I have met many people from Raleigh, NC that have now moved to Tampa, FL for these reasons.

So, take note! If you come from a highly educated community, you will have a nice advantage over the natives here in Tampa. We have suffered a lot, but now we are at a "clean slate" if you will. This is a great time to offer your educational advantages and help this city grow because that's what it's hungry for.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Wow, you sound almost too enthusiastic. Tampa although nice, is far away from being a cultural hub. It even has yrs until it becomes the next Portland if that will ever even happen. Tampa > All local cities (St Pete, Sarasota), but still has a long ways to go. That should be Tampas theme there.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingGOOD17 View Post
I have been a Tampa native for around 10 years. I moved away to Raleigh, NC for about 3 then came back just 2 months ago for the support of friends and family cuz I have a 7 yr old boy.

I have to tell you, Tampa is really turning around for the better. I have noticed a huge clean up around the neighborhoods (chasing out the riff raff), USF has raised the bar and you now have to have an incredible GPA to get in, there is an increasingly amount of FREE activities to do with the family, and it's just becoming more and more beautiful.

I also notice an increased amount of awareness in improving the community by attracting higher educated employees and entrepreneurs. That is what I really am looking forward to... and I'm already seeing the change. I have met many people from Raleigh, NC that have now moved to Tampa, FL for these reasons.

So, take note! If you come from a highly educated community, you will have a nice advantage over the natives here in Tampa. We have suffered a lot, but now we are at a "clean slate" if you will. This is a great time to offer your educational advantages and help this city grow because that's what it's hungry for.
So refreshing to read your post! Yes, I agree with you, and so do many others here. I don't live in Tampa anymore, but I grew up there and my hubby works there. We have seen many positive changes over the years, plus crime has been dropping steadily over the past decade or so. Lots of beautiful new stuff has been built downtown, and there is more going up.

Nothing like being away for awhile and then returning - it really has an impact! Anyway, welcome back to the area and hope you enjoy it here.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
Wow, you sound almost too enthusiastic. Tampa although nice, is far away from being a cultural hub. It even has yrs until it becomes the next Portland if that will ever even happen. Tampa > All local cities (St Pete, Sarasota), but still has a long ways to go. That should be Tampas theme there.
I see why you call yourself "Dr. Rain" cuz it seems to me you're quick to rain on somebody's parade. If you started to call yourself "Dr. Sunshine" you might see things in a more positive light. It's people with that negative, dreary outlook that make Tampa look bad.

If you don't like it... MOVE!

Old 11-28-2010, 05:21 PM

201 posts, read 611,290 times
[b][i]Delighted to read the OP. DW and I closing on sale of home in NC this week and heading to Tampa for a first time visit. Plan is to hotel it a bit and then find something furnished for a few monthsin order to get a sense/feel of Tampa. Nice to read some positive and this post was most timely.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
It's been a long time coming, but the downtown Riverwalk area is getting awesome! Link here --> Tampa Riverwalk Event and Entertainment Official Site

Old 11-29-2010, 03:21 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,053 times

Good for all of us living here!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:03 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingGOOD17 View Post

Nice to see some positivity!!! only thing wrong with this post is the first line... The only way you could be a tampa native for about 10 years is if you were about 10 years old

Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 AM

239 posts, read 671,115 times
ditto what Annie said . When I move there, I plan to do my part by becoming active in the community and my local development boards

Old 11-29-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Nice to see some positivity!!! only thing wrong with this post is the first line... The only way you could be a tampa native for about 10 years is if you were about 10 years old
HAHA! Got me on that one. I am a FL native I should say. Born and raised in Vero Beach, FL. Than Came over to Tampa for college. In between then and now, I have lived in 5 different states with a moving total of 8x. I'm a bit nomadic.

But, all I got to say is... I definitely see a desire from the people in the community to enrich the community with cultured, educated people that has a lot to offer families, young professionals, and seasoned professionals. Tampa is beautiful! There are so many things to enjoy about this place if we can start silencing the haters! If the promotional edge we have on this place is what's wrong with it... then, we will never build the positive, thriving community that we desire and what this awesome place deserves. Tampa is amazing if you're able to recognize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay