Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:41 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,446 times

Advertisements

Toots, you might be shooping for food in wrong places. Check out 'Save a lot' stores for essentials. You might not find everything you need, but it's good place to get basic food items like milk, bread or eggs.

Other than that your description is pretty spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:11 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
meh, hubby makes just over 60k a year and we rent a 1300 dollar/month house and we still live well within our means. Its how YOU manage it.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:57 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
IronSmurf, with just the two of you. You will be fine on that. I have slightly more income for a family of 5 and rent a house that's $1300/mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootsfromscotland View Post
Hi there Ali, thought I'd add my tuppenceworth just from my observations and learnings over the last few weeks
Groceries are more expensive over here...think $3 for a loaf of bread being cheap! Ive had a few shocks coming out of Publix etc when I've done my grocery shopping. On the flipside though, fuel is much cheaper so that probably balances it out a bit.
Insurance is horrific and far more expensive than back home. I'm $109 a month for myself and Keith to drive a 5 year old MPV. Medical insurance is very expensive too if you don't have an employer subsidising that for you. Hopefully though, with R looking to move into nursing, you will eventually be able to lower those costs because hospital/healthcare companies do contribute really well to health insurance costs.
Mobile phone costs are waaaaaaaaaay more expensive out here! Forget your £20 a month contract phones! Again, I got a right shock! Im paying $90 a month for 2 very basic mobile phones on contract. And thats the cheapest I could get!
Rent is far more than home (im paying $1500 a month for a 3bed townhome which is actually really cheap for this area! I wouldnt have dreamt of paying anything LIKE that back home) If you're only looking for a 1 bed then you'll find something reasonable though) Cost of cars I think is much the same. Cost of furniture - can be reasonable- depends on where you shop. Not a whole lot cheaper than home I dont think.
On the positive side, there is less tax all in all. Less sales tax, and no state income tax. There is still federal tax, social security and medicare to come off of my paycheck though, and because I an alien non-immigrant, I'm not entitled to claim tax relief on dependents etc which was another bummer that I hadn't accounted for! Eating out is way cheaper too! And the cinema is cheaper ..at least cheaper than the Odeon!
Electricity is pretty expensive...Im yet to receive my first bill..dreading it! I do think though that this townhome must be difficult to keep cool, simply due to being on 3 floors and with heat rising, the AC needs to work harder to keep it cool. Im trying to keep the AC off as much as possible!
I got cable/tv/phone via brighthouse for just over $100 a month..thats for the higher package though and can be cheaper.
Hope this helps!
Toots, check out Aldi for your groceries. It is a different shopping experience but is extremely affordable. The stores are modern and clean. Bring your own bags and be prepared on bagging your own groceries. Also, when the check tosses your groceries into the bin roughly it is not personal it is just how they do things. L'Oven Fresh bread is good and around a $1 a loaf. Also, make sure you have a quarter handy to get a cart. You get it back when you return the cart. It's their way to not have to pay someone to go on grocery cart duty in the parking lot and the savings are passed onto you. I avoid Publix.... I know, many love this store.... I do not.

I would look into a family plan for your phones. You may be able to reduce the rate. Also, keep track of your minute usage, you may be able to reduce the number of minutes you use, depending on who and when you call. I saw ads on the plane for Virgin Mobile. It is prepaid but seems a heck of a lot cheaper than I am paying now. Thinking on getting DW the $45 plan and myself the $25 plan since she talks more than I do. Probably be impossible to pull her away from her iPhone though. Just an idea.

You're electric bill shouldn't be too bad this time of year. Make sure you open windows and get good cross breezes wen you first wake up. Once your home gets warm its much more difficult to cool it off without using AC. I doubt you are turning on your heater even though its been chilly. I refuse to turn on my heater... I'm from Alaska. I grab a blanket or sweatpants and a cup of tea of coffee. Try to acclimate to the warmer climate by not turning on your AC this time of year. Your electric bill will appreciate it this summer. I can't believe I find it comfortable in my house at up to 81 in my home.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsmurf View Post
yeah we definately want to spend it wisely.. we may need to trade in our car over there and get a new one though.. Im hoping I can bike most places.. I think the main thing is that we don't worry about money as I can see the strain it has on people.. We want to enjoy life together in tampa and be able to plan our wedding without additional stress..
Riding a bike in Tampa is deadly. In the last five months nine bike riders have been killed, mostly by hit and run drivers.

If you want to ride a bike here I would restrict that to bike trails.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Riding a bike in Tampa is deadly. In the last five months nine bike riders have been killed, mostly by hit and run drivers.

If you want to ride a bike here I would restrict that to bike trails.
There should be people who just take charge and stop these drivers from being reckless. March in the streets for your right to bike!
Show these drivers whos boss like they do in Portland.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
There should be people who just take charge and stop these drivers from being reckless. March in the streets for your right to bike!
Show these drivers whos boss like they do in Portland.
Well to be fair Portland has bike lanes and is a bike friendly city, that also has a light rail.

Tampa comes in right behind Orlando as the 2nd deadliest city in the nation for pedestrians and bike riders.

Driving in a car here is dangerous enough. Walking or riding a bike other than on paths is a death wish.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well to be fair Portland has bike lanes and is a bike friendly city, that also has a light rail.

Tampa comes in right behind Orlando as the 2nd deadliest city in the nation for pedestrians and bike riders.

Driving in a car here is dangerous enough. Walking or riding a bike other than on paths is a death wish.

Portland and Tampa Bay are two worlds apart. Portland is much smaller.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Portland and Tampa Bay are two worlds apart. Portland is much smaller.
That is not the point. The OP who is from out of the country wants to know if riding a bike is safe and smart way to get around Tampa, it isn't.

Portland was used as an example of a bike friendly city.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM

164 posts, read 460,473 times
Ally, overall, when I've recovered from the actual cost of the move (has cost us around £15k so far!!), and when hubby is over here and able to work, we will have a really good quality of life...better than at home. I'm earning a good wage on my own , more than I was at home, and so far I could sustain the 4 of us probably pretty easily on one wage alone, but of course hubby won't hear of it! He's determined to keep working the UK until we can sort something out for him to be able to work legally over here. We still haven't sold our house in Scotland yet either, so thats another reason he is still at home just now.
I absolutely love it out here and so do the girls. I mentioned moving back to Scotland in a couple of years time if we haven't got something sorted for hubby being able to work by then, and they gave me my head in my hands to play with for daring to mention such a thing!
Its natural for you to get nervous now...I was absolutely keiching myself! Seriously! I had given up a really good job back home and there seems so much more to lose when you're older. I also had the worries of the girls not settling etc etc.
One big thing Ive noticed....most people over here are happy and friendly! Unlike the miserable gits back home! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsmurf View Post
Thanks for this Tracy,

overall though are you finding cost of living better than here ie do you enjoy a better quality of life.. As ive said before a lot of stuff does seem more expensive but then you hear people living it up on $30kpa between them.. Looks to me like people generally get paid more over there.. I know youve not been over long but have you and the family taken to it well? Think its a better life than back home? I cannot believe how nervous I am getting now.. Rach is mega chilled which is driving me nuts..
I think one prob investigating stuff from over here is you look at reviews ie workplaces, areas (like above) life etc. I think 99% of people who use review forums do it vent anger over their own individual bad experiences whereas in truth most people are completely content.
WEll I better bet out and clear the driveway.. -25c last night..!!
Take care and keep in touch..

Old 12-04-2010, 08:15 PM

164 posts, read 460,473 times
Hi Floridakash, thanks for the info My $90 a month is actually a family plan believe it or not..and I could only get 2 lines for that, because I don't have a credit history at all in the US (even though my credit history is exemplary back in UK, it makes no difference when new to the country it seems!). Once Ive paid my mobile phone bill for a few months then I'll be allowed to add another couple of lines to my contract. I've signed up for easypay, otherwise I'd be paying another $10 on top of my $90!
I don't even have any internet access for what Im paying right now...its sticking in my throat to give them anymore money!! lol...back home, I was only $35 a month for full internet, free texts and 600 mins, together with a brilliant internet phone free of charge..pfft....Im just having to "suck it up" as they say here small price to pay for living in such a fantastic place

Believe it or not Floridakash...despite the fact that is -25 at home just now in Scotland and its still a really lovely temp over here by comparison...I've got my heating ON tonight!!....just a wee bit chilly! Can't believe it myself and no doubt, when my hubby comes over at the end of this week from a snow borne Scotland, the first thing he'll do is switch the heating OFF! Can't believe how spoiled we have become already in just 2 months, with expecting and needing some heat!

Ally you'll find completely different over here btw...the mobile phone contracts...the "family plan" thing where you add lines etc is totally foreign to us brits!

And one more thing Ally...though it may not be quite so bad for you coz you have Rach here....we got absolutely hammered for deposits..again because of no credit history. Deposit for rent was significant....one month rent in advance and $1500 deposit up front. Deposit for electricty was $400! Deposit for brighthouse was another $150 ...all because we dont have a credit history...so be prepared for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
IronSmurf, with just the two of you. You will be fine on that. I have slightly more income for a family of 5 and rent a house that's $1300/mo

Toots, check out Aldi for your groceries. It is a different shopping experience but is extremely affordable. The stores are modern and clean. Bring your own bags and be prepared on bagging your own groceries. Also, when the check tosses your groceries into the bin roughly it is not personal it is just how they do things. L'Oven Fresh bread is good and around a $1 a loaf. Also, make sure you have a quarter handy to get a cart. You get it back when you return the cart. It's their way to not have to pay someone to go on grocery cart duty in the parking lot and the savings are passed onto you. I avoid Publix.... I know, many love this store.... I do not.

I would look into a family plan for your phones. You may be able to reduce the rate. Also, keep track of your minute usage, you may be able to reduce the number of minutes you use, depending on who and when you call. I saw ads on the plane for Virgin Mobile. It is prepaid but seems a heck of a lot cheaper than I am paying now. Thinking on getting DW the $45 plan and myself the $25 plan since she talks more than I do. Probably be impossible to pull her away from her iPhone though. Just an idea.

You're electric bill shouldn't be too bad this time of year. Make sure you open windows and get good cross breezes wen you first wake up. Once your home gets warm its much more difficult to cool it off without using AC. I doubt you are turning on your heater even though its been chilly. I refuse to turn on my heater... I'm from Alaska. I grab a blanket or sweatpants and a cup of tea of coffee. Try to acclimate to the warmer climate by not turning on your AC this time of year. Your electric bill will appreciate it this summer. I can't believe I find it comfortable in my house at up to 81 in my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay