Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 07:46 AM

24 posts, read 214,386 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am considering a move to Florida. I have been living in various parts of the Northeast and am ready for a change. I have been to Florida many times and enjoy the weather (I do well with heat).

St. Petersburg is on my radar as the most likely place to move. I want to be near the action and enjoy walking and riding my bicycle. I have been to St. Petersburg and thought some neighborhoods looked nice (and safe). However, I know looks can be deceiving.

I know the safest and best places to live are centered in and around the Old Northeast. I enjoyed Crescent Lake and would probably prefer that over the Old Northeast.

What concerns me is everything I have been reading in the papers. It looks like break-ins are pretty common, as well as muggings and assaults.

I guess I should get to my question, which is: Is St. Petersburg a pretty safe place to live if I stick to downtown and north of downtown? I would like to walk and bike to restaurants, banks, shops, and parks in downtown. Am I safe to do that at night?

St. Petersburg looks like a nice city with a lot of amenities to offer, as well as a decent area to walk and bike (very uncommon in Florida). I just want to make sure I am not planning on moving to somewhere in which I will feel unsafe living. Thank you for any information you can provide.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Is it safe?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You'll need to come down to get a feel for the area yourself. Most of the neighborhoods north of downtown are perfectly fine, but there are some older ones that are still in transition and, depending on your personal comfort levels, you may not want to end up in those neighborhoods.

Petty crimes like car break-ins seem to be pretty common in Florida's larger cities, with St. Pete being no exception. You can avoid it in some northern St. Pete neighborhoods better than others, but the risk will always be there.

Most of St. Pete is okay to walk through. Parts of northern St. Pete are actually pretty pedestrian-friendly by Bay Area standards. Again, this all depends on your comfort level. You'll probably feel pretty safe walking around Vinoy Park, but you might get a little sketched out on 9th Street just north of 375.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeonwardtofl View Post
I guess I should get to my question, which is: Is St. Petersburg a pretty safe place to live if I stick to downtown and north of downtown? I would like to walk and bike to restaurants, banks, shops, and parks in downtown. Am I safe to do that at night?
Downtown kinda closes up after 5pm, not really anything happening, biking around the waterfront while its still light out is picturesque,
St Pete is dominated with small plaza's scattered every where, plenty of small parks but not really any place i would recommend after dark, the beaches area are a bit more lively in the evening.
St Pete for the most part is a city without pedestrians as every one drives where they need to go then when they're done their business they drive home, and very few people venture out at night on foot.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:59 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Downtown kinda closes up after 5pm.
?? Maybe early weeknights, but the downtown is hopping Thursday-Sunday night, especially on Beach and down Central.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:29 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
?? Maybe early weeknights, but the downtown is hopping Thursday-Sunday night, especially on Beach and down Central.
This is definitely true.^^^ St. Pete is a whole lot livelier than it used to be, at least on weekends.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:32 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
I hope its safe, i still plan on moving there from orlando!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
There is a relatively new service that plots crimes in the area. I heard about it through a colleague so I don't know how good or bad it is. Here's a link St. Petersburg, FL Crime Map - Showing Crimes in St. Petersburg - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Old 12-08-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Is it safe?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You'll need to come down to get a feel for the area yourself. Most of the neighborhoods north of downtown are perfectly fine, but there are some older ones that are still in transition and, depending on your personal comfort levels, you may not want to end up in those neighborhoods.

Petty crimes like car break-ins seem to be pretty common in Florida's larger cities, with St. Pete being no exception. You can avoid it in some northern St. Pete neighborhoods better than others, but the risk will always be there.

Most of St. Pete is okay to walk through. Parts of northern St. Pete are actually pretty pedestrian-friendly by Bay Area standards. Again, this all depends on your comfort level. You'll probably feel pretty safe walking around Vinoy Park, but you might get a little sketched out on 9th Street just north of 375.
Thank you for the information. I definitely do not want to end up in a transitional area. I would like to be in a safe and family friendly neighborhood.

I am not as concerned about car break-ins. I am more concerned about robbery, assault, and home break-ins.

Is 9th Street the same as MLK? I know you said it is sketchy just north of 375. When heading north, at what point does it cease being sketchy and become safe to walk and be on?

I hope to be able to live in a family friendly neighborhood north of downtown. I would like to walk to restaurants and other stores on MLK and 4th Street (north of downtown and probably north of 9th Ave). Can I do this safely? At night as well?

If I venture to downtown at night, I probably would not walk if it can get sketchy around 375. I would like to bike and I think that would be safer.

What specific neighborhoods would you recommend for someone wanting to live in a safe and family friendly area? I already know about the Old Northeast. What are the other safe ones?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
So it sounds like downtown St Pete is similar to many cities in the US: the downtown is full of workers during normal work hours but it tends to die down at night, unless it's a weekend. Is that right? Are there a lot of people out on and around Central on weekend nights?

Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I hope its safe, i still plan on moving there from orlando!
I hope so as well because it looks pedestrian friendly and I know most of the Tampa area is not. I have heard a lot about the crime problem there and read it in the paper though. I am hoping there are sections you can live in and go to that you can feel and be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay