Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I'm moving to Tampa from Chicago and am starting to panic a bit. When I visited New Tampa, it seemed like mainly chains/strip mall-ish. For whatever reason, I decided to rent there (more space!) but now am freaking out a bit about what there is to do. Since I'm from Chicago, I'm used to a LOT going on. Any advice? What are some great non-chain restaurants in New Tampa? Are there any places for young people to hang out in New Tampa? Where would you recommend in South Tampa (food/hanging out)? St. Pete's? Do you know any good websites with things to do in Tampa? I don't mind driving.....
Also, what beaches should we check out? Chicago always has a lot of festivals.... do you know where I could find out this info regarding the Tampa area?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,770 times
WOW..New Tampa, if your single and young, it may not be your scene(picture Chicago Suburbs). It is quiet up there, everything has been built within the past 5 or so years(and still building), so its all new. Some definate things to do in that area are Flatwoods/Wilderness park systems for biking, hiking. Also, Canoe Escape off Fowler Ave for canoeing/kayaking down the Hillsborough River. By USF there are a few places like the Greenery on 42nd near Fletcher Ave, and the University Bar on Fowler Ave across from University Mall. Some non-chian palces to visit in New tampa are Circles(although they have one in Hyde Park).
South Tampa is where you will find most neighborhoods like Chicago but on a MUCH MUCH smaller scale(Hyde Park-named after a Chicago Developer by the way; South Howard Avenue-SOHO; Davis Islands; Channelside; Bayshore; Ybor City; International Plaza Bay Street.) Some places include Hyde Park Cafe, Dubliner, MacDintons, The Rack, Whiskey Park, SOHO Oasis, Bella's, Lime, Ceviche's, St. Bart's, Red House, Sangria's, Deck Pizza, Wine Exchange, BT's-all in Hyde Park. Channelside as numerous restaurants and nighspots all in one waterfront complex. Ybor is the National Landmark Historic District(like a mini French Quarter) with just about everything for anybody - my fav restaurants in Ybor are Laughing Cat for Italian, Acropolis for Greek, Samarai Blue for Sushi, Tampa bay brewing Co. for American, Carmine's for Cuban, Columbian for Spanish.

St. Pete venture downtown to Central Avenue and the waterfront.

Weekly Rags like creativeloafing.com, and tbt.com will give you calendars and events going on throughout the Bay area. There are many festivals as well you wont want to miss, just read the daily papers, and Friday sections of the local papers(Tampa Trib, St. Pete Times).

Old 07-12-2007, 11:56 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
You forgot Skipper's Smokehouse! Great Bands & Food....best little place that washed ashore!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:30 PM

I was set on moving to Hyde Park and then got a great deal on a large 2 bedroom in New Tampa and went for that (that is closer to my work)...but now am wondering if I should have :-) Oh well!
Thanks so much for the advice!

Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
jessiegirl - You will be safe in your apartment in New Tampa, and close to work - those are important things to consider. You can easily get to entertainment in the South Tampa area or wherever you want to go at night or on the weekends. Tampa has lots to do.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Thanks again everyone! I am starting to relax a bit :-)

Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Thanks again everyone! I am starting to relax a bit :-)
If it makes you feel better I know a couple who moved from Brooklyn to New Tampa and they love it. They're in their 20s. I never thought I would like it so I moved to St. Pete, but the other posters are right - you can get to South Tampa easily. Also Carrollwood seems to have a bunch of non-chain restaurants lately, around Dale Mabry.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:30 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
You forgot Skipper's Smokehouse! Great Bands & Food....best little place that washed ashore!
Yep, I totally agree... Hot Tuna is playing there next month... Red Stripes, oysters, incense, the other incense sometimes, good food, peaceful people... its like Key West crashed into Haight Asbury... Thursday night is the best "regular" night... Uncle John's Band playing the Dead... been a couple of years here, but, you may have just got me heading back over sooner than then... to sum it all up: Go To Skippers Smokehouse.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:26 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
I LUV Skipper's Smokehouse.....

Old 07-17-2007, 09:42 AM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
Yep, I totally agree... Hot Tuna is playing there next month... Red Stripes, oysters, incense, the other incense sometimes, good food, peaceful people... its like Key West crashed into Haight Asbury... Thursday night is the best "regular" night... Uncle John's Band playing the Dead... been a couple of years here, but, you may have just got me heading back over sooner than then... to sum it all up: Go To Skippers Smokehouse.
My xhusband's played in Uncle John's for the past 12 years & Estimated before that! I love those guys....I was thinking of going up to Hot Tuna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: