Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
How are these cameras "CAUSING" any accidents? they are placed high over the Stop Lights.

PEOPLE that are busy "multitasking" cause accidents! Stop Multitasking and not only we'll have less accidents but the State won't get rich on your back either! So, If you don't want extra expenses, put that damn phone down and DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard, that "traffic cameras cause accidents"!

AMERICANS Need to start taking responsibility for THEIR ACTIONS!

It is not the store fault you tripped! watch where you're going! it is not the cops fault you chose to do something else besides driving. Do you have a LICENSE TO TEXT? Don't think so, your license is for DRIVING! Get used to it.
You lost me when you started singling out Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post
Wow, now that's just stupid. I agree with you that those people are morons. Those lights were really red. I'm more referring to the fact that some people have a tendency to slam on the brakes when they're already at the intersection and it has just turned yellow.
So if you 2nd or 3rd car approaching intersection and you see the light yellow, why are you not stopping, no matter what car in front of you is doing? I think the people who end up crashing are the people who see yellow light, speed up thinking that car in front of them will go thru and they still can make to the other side.
Also in Tampa i notice a ton of pedestrian signals that actually count down how long till light change, and they are visible to drivers too. If i see second of two left and i'm no where close the intersection i start slowing down slowly in preparations to stop.

User, thanks for the study link i appreciate that

Algia, it's not americans who own monopoly in stupid driving, although since we're talking about issues in Tampa, it would be fairly safe assumption that most of people on the road are americans.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Well the good thing about higher gas prices is you're going to start seeing people(even in FL) drive smarter.

You get much better gas mileage when you coast to the light when it is in the process of changing.

As Algia said if you're "paying attention" you know what is going on up ahead of you. If the light is getting ready to change, get off the gas.

When gas is $5 a gallon you're going to see more people doing the speed limit and less reckless driving.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 34,515 times
big brother issues aside...

cameras don't cause accidents,
stupid people driving stupidly cause accidents, and speeders cause accidents.

if someone doing 85 in a 45 slams on there brakes and flies through an intersection sideways because they see a camera and panic, then it's not the camera's fault for being there, it's drivers fault for not obeying the law to begin with. it's the same way with speeders on the highway, they cut you off at 95mph just to stomp the brakes right in front of you because they see a cop on the shoulder ahead.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Noticed an oldtimer with a bumper sticker on the back of his car, "Caution: I stop for yellow lights".

Good idea to warn the tailgaters.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Noticed an oldtimer with a bumper sticker on the back of his car, "Caution: I stop for yellow lights".

Good idea to warn the tailgaters.
Railway crossing too?

Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM

515 posts, read 1,347,852 times
It's true that studies have shown that the number of crashes increase at intersections where red light cameras are located, however the cameras do not CAUSE the crashes. The crashes are caused when people come to a stop for yellow lights (which is what is supposed to happen anyway) and those who are following too closely or do not want to stop at the yellow light strike them from the rear. The crashes are CAUSED by the person who is not paying attention to the vehicle in front of them, as if you're following at a safe distance and are abiding by the traffic laws, you won't rear end the car in front of you. The only people who blame the red light cameras for these crashes instead of the driver who actually crashes into another vehicle are those with an agenda against the cameras.

Nobody can dispute that the amount of fatal and serious injury angular/t-bone crashes at intersections where red light cameras are located fall greatly after the cameras are installed. Just like I stated above, this doesn't mean that the CAMERAS reduce the amount of serious crashes, but that their presence makes people more likely to do what the law says and stop instead of running the red light.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:49 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
How are these cameras "CAUSING" any accidents? they are placed high over the Stop Lights.

PEOPLE that are busy "multitasking" cause accidents! Stop Multitasking and not only we'll have less accidents but the State won't get rich on your back either! So, If you don't want extra expenses, put that damn phone down and DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard, that "traffic cameras cause accidents"!

AMERICANS Need to start taking responsibility for THEIR ACTIONS!

It is not the store fault you tripped! watch where you're going! it is not the cops fault you chose to do something else besides driving. Do you have a LICENSE TO TEXT? Don't think so, your license is for DRIVING! Get used to it.
Simple physics...the cameras influence people approaching a yellow to brake hard. There are many Class A and B vehicles on the road that due to their weight are not capable of stopping as quickly as a passenger vehicle. A loaded 18-wheeler weighing in @80'000 lbs can take the length of a football field to come to a complete stop.

If I see a late yellow and my rearview mirror is filled with Freightliner or Peterbuilt or even a B Truck weiging in at 26,000 lbs like those used in airport taxi, I'll glady pay their fine for running red....sure beats the medical bills from whiplash, potential paralyzation, and life in a wheelchair or even death.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Another Big Brother conspiracy theorist... is this really going on in two different threads right now

The ability to have wireless networks along highways that your vehicle connects to is an idea that has been around for quite some time. This will never be.

Who is big brother to you anyway? Are you so important that you think the federal government is tracking you? Guess what, you are right. There is an entire satellite constellation allocated to watch your every move!

Alright CD forum people... lets just break out the tin foil and start making hats... we are having a big old party here today.
Sorry to tell you it's already here. Depending on when your FL liscense was issued, there's a microchip in it....ever see those upside down L shaped things along the side of some roadways, they can read your chip.

It gets better, soon police vehicles will be equiped with electronic scanners that are capable of scanning 1000 vehicles in seconds to identify stolen vehicles, uninsured, wanted individuals, etc.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:03 PM

46 posts, read 159,384 times
I received a red light camera citation a couple months ago. $158. The letter came with a code to log into a website to view a video. According to the 30 second video: I pull up slowly to the light in the turning lane. I wait approximately 4 seconds. I turn right. No cars driving who had the green light until about 20 seconds after I went. No sign that said no right on red.

Though I understand the intentions behind the law, most of the money comes from right on red tickets, and I don't understand how, in cases like mine, a $158 ticket is deserved. I'm sure I'll be getting several more in the mail as time goes by because it seems like every intersection in St. Pete is equipped with these and the three-second rule I thought was good for right on red clearly does not apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay