U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 03:11 PM

239 posts, read 628,685 times

Advertisements

I just returned from another fact finding trip to Tampa--my last actually since we will be moving by the end of the month. We have family there so we are getting up there to continue the search.

Anyway, this is my 4th trip and I have visited about 10 schools and looked at over 50 houses in Pinellas and Hillsborough with an agent. I have been through Palm Harbor, East lake, Countryside, Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, Westchase, Waterchase, Carrollwood, Lutz, Odessa and South Tampa.

(we did not go into St. Pete/Sarasota as I will be working in DT Tampa).

After all that, the only areas that we are considering are Safety Harbor and South Tampa to meet OUR needs. However, I would be happy to share my impressions of any of the areas above. I've looked at the schools and houses so I know what is there. They are all nice areas but with VERY different characters so it depends on what you are looking for.

And no Billy, still no Arlington LOL!!!

oops..can't edit the heading...should be Impressions--no J
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 PM

436 posts, read 1,042,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOnewplace View Post
I just returned from another fact finding trip to Tampa--my last actually since we will be moving by the end of the month. We have family there so we are getting up there to continue the search.

Anyway, this is my 4th trip and I have visited about 10 schools and looked at over 50 houses in Pinellas and Hillsborough with an agent. I have been through Palm Harbor, East lake, Countryside, Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, Westchase, Waterchase, Carrollwood, Lutz, Odessa and South Tampa.

After all that, the only areas that we are considering are Safety Harbor and South Tampa to meet OUR needs. However, I would be happy to share my impressions of any of the areas above. I've looked at the schools and houses so I know what is there. They are all nice areas but with VERY different characters so it depends on what you are looking for.

Haha. So, which are you leaning towards and why?

Old 12-12-2010, 05:09 PM

158 posts, read 269,414 times
Wow this is interesting! I am sitting down in Westshore for some dinner by myself tee hee, and after having visited so many areas today I am pretty set on Safety H. and South Tampa as well. I agree both areas are very different. One thing for sure is that Safety Harbor is more slow paced and has a small town feel while IMO South Tampa is more trendy and people are out everywhere. Both areas very friendly people to talk to.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Awww Jennie. Wish we could join you. Sushi by any chance??

We are leaving Miami to get away from the pretentiousness so we are thinking that South Tampa might not be the best place for us. Been there done that. I want to be able to run out for coffee in the morning without having to "dress up".

Speaking of which, I did see a lady at Starbucks in Safety Harbor in fuzzy red slippers this weekend. Not sure I would go that far but nice to know you can LOL.

That being said, South Tampa is definitely the most trendy place and I would recommend it for singles or couples w/o kids but I think we can go out there when we need that. At this point in our lives, we really want a smaller community feel. Every time I drive around there I see kids out playing and we like that.

We'll see...

Old 12-13-2010, 07:54 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,075,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniegurl View Post
Wow this is interesting! I am sitting down in Westshore for some dinner by myself tee hee, and after having visited so many areas today I am pretty set on Safety H. and South Tampa as well. I agree both areas are very different. One thing for sure is that Safety Harbor is more slow paced and has a small town feel while IMO South Tampa is more trendy and people are out everywhere. Both areas very friendly people to talk to.
I woulda come out for a bite I was in St Pete for "sunday funday" though!

Quote:

Can I ask why you are willing to look at houses in Lutz but not in St Pete? It takes 15 mins to get to st pete from tampa, on one of the more enjoyable stretches of interstate in America IMO (Howard Franklin). But you are willing to drive to Lutz on Veterans every day?

Not taking into account the commute, I'd cut a finger off before living outside of Tampa or St Pete, but I am a people person and thrive on social interaction.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:01 AM

16,252 posts, read 34,824,586 times
Quote:
Awww Jennie. Wish we could join you. Sushi by any chance??

We are leaving Miami to get away from the pretentiousness so we are thinking that South Tampa might not be the best place for us. Been there done that. I want to be able to run out for coffee in the morning without having to "dress up".

Speaking of which, I did see a lady at Starbucks in Safety Harbor in fuzzy red slippers this weekend. Not sure I would go that far but nice to know you can LOL.

That being said, South Tampa is definitely the most trendy place and I would recommend it for singles or couples w/o kids but I think we can go out there when we need that. At this point in our lives, we really want a smaller community feel. Every time I drive around there I see kids out playing and we like that.

We'll see...
South Tampa comprises a lot of neighborhoods, I never thought they were "all" snooty - why do you say that? To me, Hyde Park is by far the trendiest and snootiest, most of the others are just nice neighborhoods. If I were to go back to Tampa to live, I would be looking at Palma Ceia or Ballast Point, maybe even Davis Island.

I do think Safety Harbor is charming, but I guess it boils down to whether you want a bit of a commute from a small town or live a bit more urban. The older I get, the more I prefer more urban.

Anyway, good luck to you, either place can be nice depending on what you want. I just hate to see ALL of beautiful south Tampa being maligned due to one or two "snooty' neighborhoods.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:21 AM

436 posts, read 1,042,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post

Can I ask why you are willing to look at houses in Lutz but not in St Pete? It takes 15 mins to get to st pete from tampa, on one of the more enjoyable stretches of interstate in America IMO (Howard Franklin). But you are willing to drive to Lutz on Veterans every day?

Not taking into account the commute, I'd cut a finger off before living outside of Tampa or St Pete, but I am a people person and thrive on social interaction.
I agree with you about the Howard Franklin. When I landed at TPA, that's the first road I jumped on in order to get to St Pete. I liked that drive.

Lutz is way too far (not to mention I don't care for anything north and inland of Tampa). I don't think she is seriously considering Lutz, though.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:13 AM

Craig....NOOOOO..we are NOT considering Lutz. I totally agree with you. I only mentoned Lutz as a place we had looked at.

During my fist trip (before I knew any of the areas) we saw some houses out there. We wanted a BIG yard/land and our agent had pulled up some listings out there.

Sorry Gypsy. Didn't mean to imply that all of South Tampa was snooty. I really like South Tampa. In fact we haven't completely ruled it out if something we liked were to pop up. I think it is a wise investment. But..we have lived in the "trendy" area before and this time around we really want something different. I'm tired of fighting over parking spaces, slots in schools, etc. Anyway, that is just us. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I highly recommend South Tampa.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:25 PM

158 posts, read 269,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Thanks Craig, it would have been nice to have a bit of company. I rarely eat alone but the bartender kept me company and gave me some ideas about that area. I had some pretty decent fish at Mitchells, maybe you know that place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay