Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 AM

269 posts, read 607,683 times

Advertisements

Is there any plans on development of the Tyrone area?

With the Tyrone area, i mean all the way from Target and Walmart, Tyrone Square mall and down to Tyrone Gardens. Are there any major plans for the area?

But the heart of the area is of course the square mall.
They are talking about a new pier and a new stadium but i dont hear anything about Tyrone Square Mall.

Wouldnt it be nice if it was more like "international plaza"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:03 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Simon Management (the mall management company that runs Tyrone Square) isn't known for their massive redevelopment efforts, although the mall appears to have not let itself get raggedy. The presence of Bonefish Grill and Borders on the mall's perimeter has helped it compete IMO. Another management company would have to step in with a new center or an existing center (Crossroads?) to spur any significant redevelopment of Tyrone Square.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:48 PM

I have a theory that is the following. If a mall works today, dont change it for gods sake because then it could be bad instead. Could i have a point?

And when it start to goes bad, they tear it all down and build something new somewhere else. Then the ground stays empty for 10-15 years and then someone builds "new mall" and it gets popular.

This dont seem to be the case of Tyrone because it seem more popular then ever. New stores opens in the area all the time. A publix for example.

It is strange actually though how long Tyrone could stay on top?

Old 12-15-2010, 07:28 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Tyrone has been a major destination since it opened. Ten years ago, Pinellas County had about eight indoor malls; now there are only two in the whole county (three if you count Seminole). I really don't know what else needs to be developed there. The retail scene at that intersection has been evolving for the last few decades. I don't know if the Bay Area can support another International Plaza store-wise, but if you were talking about Tyrone adding an outdoor portion like International's Bay Street, I think it all comes down to how much room they have left on the property.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,225,857 times
What, exactly, are you talking about? The Tyrone area has everything anyone could need. Please name one specific business or chain store that you find necessary that isn't already there. Believe it or not, you can't have everything at your doorstep-sometimes you have to make an effort and actually GO to where the business you desire is located.
Besides, the area is built up enough and successful as it is.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Tyrone has been a major destination since it opened. Ten years ago, Pinellas County had about eight indoor malls; now there are only two in the whole county (three if you count Seminole). I really don't know what else needs to be developed there. The retail scene at that intersection has been evolving for the last few decades. I don't know if the Bay Area can support another International Plaza store-wise, but if you were talking about Tyrone adding an outdoor portion like International's Bay Street, I think it all comes down to how much room they have left on the property.
I mean that Tyrone Square Mall could refurbish the main building.
For example build on a few extra floors. Purhaps with a nice and beautyful open corridor between the shops. Then they dont need to take ground from the parking lots or buy additional land. International is in two floors if i remember correctly.

Which were the other malls?

Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
What, exactly, are you talking about? The Tyrone area has everything anyone could need. Please name one specific business or chain store that you find necessary that isn't already there. Believe it or not, you can't have everything at your doorstep-sometimes you have to make an effort and actually GO to where the business you desire is located.
Besides, the area is built up enough and successful as it is.
I think that the main building is not so fresh. I refer to my other post with changes that i think could be interesting.
The other buildings in the area is much more fresh.

Also, since it is a central location for buses. When the light rail come to the area could it be nice with a integrated light rail stop inside the building so you dont have to walk outside during hot summer days.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 AM

Am i the only person who thinks that the Tyrone Square mall could be freshen up?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
Am i the only person who thinks that the Tyrone Square mall could be freshen up?
Looks like it.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Looks like it.
I dont complain about the surrounding stores. Just the main mall. i am surprised that people seem that it dont need change.

There were a movie theatre on Tyrone a few years back. They closed it to build a movie theatre that was supposed to be twice as big.
How is that going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay