Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
and THAT my friend is because up here is the ONLY place we found a decent school for our kids, (that's clean) and has a slightly better program for my Autistic son which runs out next year. I am not living here because "I want too" believe me! Cow's tail is not my idea of "City Living"!
You don't live in Tampa!?!? You post so much here about Tampa that I incorrectly assumed you lived in Tampa. Do you work in Tampa?

FWIW, I like the greater Odessa area as a horse-farmette sort of place, but if you're the sort of person who would want to live in NYC... wow! You really need to move to a big city that also fits your family's needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:41 PM

113 posts, read 279,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post
You don't live in Tampa!?!? You post so much here about Tampa that I incorrectly assumed you lived in Tampa. Do you work in Tampa?
What the heck? I thought the same thing as you. Maybe some people are on a mission to ruin the city/state.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:06 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
I live 20 minutes north of downtown Tampa, let me correct that, 20 minutes at 10AM on Veterans, not in rush hour and luckily I don't have to drive in that except when I take my son to his therapies......I work all over Tampa from Lutz to Sarasota and beyond, I travel for my work...It is "up here" in Lutz versus South Tampa. LOL

I lived in Europe most of my life and NYC is my favorite city as so far along with DC both are walkable per MY taste and have the amenities I am used to have available. Our family is looking to move up there or as close as we can get to the city, we also have family in that area so for us there are only pluses when we move...I love to walk to things....Odessa is nice, but only from Van Dyke rd down to Gunn HWY, after that not my favorite place....they have nicer horse farms on Tarpon Road...lots actually, and even more mansions around Boy Scout Rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBI View Post

FWIW, I like the greater Odessa area as a horse-farmette sort of place, but if you're the sort of person who would want to live in NYC... wow! You really need to move to a big city that also fits your family's needs.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:15 PM

I responded to this already......and I am definitely not on a mission to ruin anything. But let's stop comparing this area to real cities like Chicago, NYC etc...I read posts asking for the stuff they have there and while I get that people want that in a warm climate, this is definitely not a peer to any of those cities, could it be? ever? maybe....but I don't see it...not meant that way, not physically planed that way.

Tampa/Florida is definitely NOT for everybody. Some people don't agree with that and want everyone to move here and live happily ever after! not gonna happen.....

I am happy for everyone that moved here and is happy! great for them...but don't make that the rule...a lot of ppl move here and then don't know how to move out faster.....we're not ready to retire yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisredfield96 View Post
What the heck? I thought the same thing as you. Maybe some people are on a mission to ruin the city/state.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:27 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
I responded to this already......and I am definitely not on a mission to ruin anything. But let's stop comparing this area to real cities like Chicago, NYC etc...I read posts asking for the stuff they have there and while I get that people want that in a warm climate, this is definitely not a peer to any of those cities, could it be? ever? maybe....but I don't see it...not meant that way, not physically planed that way.

Tampa/Florida is definitely NOT for everybody. Some people don't agree with that and want everyone to move here and live happily ever after! not gonna happen.....

I am happy for everyone that moved here and is happy! great for them...but don't make that the rule...a lot of ppl move here and then don't know how to move out faster.....we're not ready to retire yet.
What is the definition of a real city?

I am sure your answer will be hilarious.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 PM

113 posts, read 279,232 times
Tampa is not even a real city? I will notify Google Maps to make the correct adjustments on their website because their site says it is a city.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Tampa is a Giant suburb! just like Phoenix...it is a place where it doesn't snow and for a lot of ppl that is enough to call it home....is that hilarious enough for you? I wish that weren't true...but it is....because if you read the posts on this board, everyone looking to move here starts a thread on the weather....then moves onto "how the job market" and "schools"!

It really feels like "suburbia & the chains" are slowly swallowing it! soon they'll demolish the downtown for more sub divisions...and more sub divisions and even more sub divisions to accommodate everyone that is allergic to cold! which is fine with me, less crowds for us up north to deal with (yeah, wish that were true)....hell, I hope the cows will eventually revolt and reclaim their land back! hahahahahaha

Hey Mike, didn't you say you were from NY? because if you are really in need to define that, you may have missed a lot....
Attached Thumbnails
My little snapshot view of Tampa-557351566_8221d003dd_o.jpg   My little snapshot view of Tampa-chicago_skyline.jpg   My little snapshot view of Tampa-downtown-miami-9-07.jpg   My little snapshot view of Tampa-07washingtondc.jpg   My little snapshot view of Tampa-philadelphia1.jpg  

Old 12-16-2010, 05:59 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Nice post, but you neglected to define "city" - nice pictures, though. Are large buildings part of your definition?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City#United_States

Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Quote:

First off, you are the only one here comparing the two. Second, you don't have to like Tampa, but you also don't have to bash it by saying its not a real city, and act as if its only for retirees. You want to give your opinion about Tampa without everyone jumping on your case? Than stop being so condescending.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:18 PM

Fine, you're not going to like this but here it goes, you asked for it:

1. 1st and foremost: Public transit, any city without it can't call itself a "city", we could call ourselves "Car World"! and have a giant Gorilla with a Hummer on it as a mascot! or "Dealershipland"! Your choice! since we live in "Theme Park" state! might as well keep up with that trend!
2. Buildings everywhere next to each other not separated by nothing or shacks! or a strip joint!
3. Less dilapidation, and more chick and modern constructions (judging ONLY by Tampa standards, it doesn't look like architects have any freehand, all the shopping plaza's are the same, bland looking waste of construction materials, I would hate to think the architects around are really just that uninspired)! Why does everything has to be this uniform? are we heading towards communism? just curious! none of these have a style other than "let's build something fast and cheap"....I am not an architect, and my hand drawing skills are the same as a bird with bear feet, but even "I" could draw cooler looking buildings!
4. Entertainment, and not a bar a mile or another CHAIN! (Chain, Chain, Chain...Chain of Fools...comes to mind!)....how come all these ppl coming here from "up north" can't bring with them some sophistication & diversity? and I am not talking about "we have a divers selection of chains"!
5. Jobs....not just service industry and insurance....
6. Arts...this area should easily have several ballet companies, several theaters why? because of the weather, when in NYC they go through blizzards, here they hop from AC'd car to AC'D theater, so easy! etc etc etc
7. Nicely looking dressed people (people dress like rag dolls around here? why?)

People coming to Florida should be amazed at how cool and clean everything is...Florida should take advantage of it's geographical location and build sophisticated and colorful buildings, Miami is the only place that does that now...everything else is so "the same" my eyes hurt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay