U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM

7,493 posts, read 10,396,890 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I was just wondering if some S. Florida residents would happen to know why there is such a drastic difference between the cost of rent between Tampa and Miami? Renting seems cheaper in Tampa than Miami. It's just something I'm curious about. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 01:04 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,986,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Hi there, I was just wondering if some S. Florida residents would happen to know why there is such a drastic difference between the cost of rent between Tampa and Miami? Renting seems cheaper in Tampa than Miami. It's just something I'm curious about. Thanks.
because the middle class average income is lower, there isn't much of an upper class in tampa. Tampa primarily consists of working lower, middle, and upper middle class families. I think this offsets the difference in rent. Many might also argue, which I wont refute, that south florida is more beautiful. That it is. Much of what you see drives property values up, and public places that are maintained to a high standard require tax money. The property owners would have to take this into account when renting property. Also, current market values and competition drive prices. This is sometimes due to disireability of certian areas, sometimes due to supply and demand.

Really, there are a lot of factors that play into why certian areas cost more then others. I have barely scratched the surface here.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:51 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,195,738 times
Amenities, come visit Tampa, THEN go to Miami.

Miami Beach alone is gorgeous, not a place to raise kids tho...schools are miserable...but to live if you don't have kids and have tons of fun.

Huge difference but until you see it for yourself you won't understand it.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:11 PM

22 posts, read 34,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Amenities, come visit Tampa, THEN go to Miami.

Miami Beach alone is gorgeous, not a place to raise kids tho...schools are miserable...but to live if you don't have kids and have tons of fun.

Huge difference but until you see it for yourself you won't understand it.

schools there are miserable meaning colleges ?

Old 12-16-2010, 05:14 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,195,738 times
no, elementary through high school, (public) my brother is a professor at University of Miami and that is an awesome school.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM

3,927 posts, read 10,646,817 times
It's simple supply and demand.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:32 AM

2,363 posts, read 4,632,351 times
You must not be from Florida, thats a dumb question to a normal Floridian..but I won't assume you are. Anyway its supply and demand, location (Waterfronts etc), plus land usage. South Florida is about Out of land to the west, now they have to build up which they started and when a city is in the forces of changing into a new generation of development, prices always go up. But Just like apartment complexes may have a $595 Special in june and a $760 special in August., IF You move in June you save $100 and something a month because supply was higher when you moved, You move in august it means demand is higher.. So take into consideration the many empty condos and 4-5 story apartment buildings all around south Florida. Demand is not as high as the supply so there you go.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 AM

26,802 posts, read 41,548,332 times
Miami is almost like living abroad. some areas there are hardly any employees to be found who can speak English...

It is seen as the party city with Miami beach as a high end place to go out....

The airport makes it possible to fly directly to many continents without having to get connecting flights, that makes it also desirable for businesses and people who travel a lot...

Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,632,308 times
Have you ever heard a song mention Miami or seen a show that takes place in Miami? Probably so. How about Tampa?

Old 12-20-2010, 12:34 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,986,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Have you ever heard a song mention Miami or seen a show that takes place in Miami? Probably so. How about Tampa?
A have a few shows that I watch... One of them, "Criminal Minds", they go to a different city/town in the US in every episode. The episode they went to Tampa, there was nothing filmed outdoors, and no relevant Tampa references made, other then that is where they were in the episode.

East Bound and Down, season 1 finale, Kenny Powers was signed to the Rays. He later found out in the episode that he would not be going to Tampa, and that they had made a mistake... but not after some pretty funny tampa references to include mons venus. He ended up in Mexico as a cockfighter in season two, eventually playing Mexican baseball with the "churros".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay