Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 47,214 times

Advertisements

Property is cheap in South side St. Pete and Tampa right now and I want a cheap house, hopefully without being burgled, mugged, or shot at.

I work from home, so no commute. I can easily avoid driving through any known bad areas and I don't plan to go jogging downtown at 2:00am.
At present, my house budget is under $17,000. I intend to buy a fixer and renovate it with money I'm otherwise wasting on rent.
No kids, so schools are not a concern.

I find conflicting reports - "you must be crazy...", "the south side is crime ridden...", then other reports are all "I love St. Pete - it's great here, etc..."

What is the racial makeup of the South side? What is the racial climate and race relations like on the South side? (I'm white male.) I don't mean to sound racist but I want to know if there's any racial tension in the area. Is the area heavily segregated?

I'm leaning toward St. Pete as the streets and houses mostly look very clean and well cared for and I hear there are some safe areas there. From what I've seen of Tampa you'd think it took a direct hit from a hurricane.

Can anyone recommend any other areas in Florida with property as inexpensive as South St. Pete?

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2010, 10:30 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
From what I learned, MOSTLY Black. I'm black and I don't want to go to South St. Pete when I move to The Bay. I heard and read way to much about it. I see so much everyday on Bay News 9.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:15 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,628 times
To answer some of your questions....

What is the racial makeup of the South side?

It is almost entirely black.

What is the racial climate and race relations like on the South side?

I have never encountered any problems in the times I've wandered into that area (I'm also a white male), but there are racial tensions there. There have been riots in the past over police altercations. Race relations are not great, although a lot of that is flamed by a fringe group called the Black Uhurus.

I wouldn't go into that area at night. I wouldn't feel comfortable living in south St Pete. I know I wouldn't feel safe.

Is the area heavily segregated?

Yes. There are almost no white or hispanic people in the area.

Can anyone recommend any other areas in Florida with property as inexpensive as South St. Pete?

Rural areas. Inner city areas of larger cities.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:21 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
Yes, a large portion of South St. Pete is black. I don't know if there is any tension down there, as I only drive through, but they had a race riot back in 1996.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 PM

Thank you for the advice. St. Pete is one of several options I have in mind. I hear Charlotte County has great real estate deals right now. I'll likely wait and save for a few more months anyway, until I can afford to buy something nicer. I would rather avoid a completely run-down house. I only hope the market doesn't rebound by then.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,302,847 times
I mean, why are you focusing on South St. Pete? Surely there are other areas in Pinellas that, while not being the fanciest, certainly aren't crime-ridden and overpriced?

Old 12-21-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
why are you focusing on South St. Pete?
The $14k houses. Where else in Florida can I find houses at these prices but without risking my life? I think Punta Gorda is a candidate but the same questions apply - crime rate, etc.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
The $14k houses. .
You wont get much if anything for $14k, maybe a older mobile home in one of the many trailer parks scattered around Pinellas Park..
Heres some economical foreclosures but still out of your price range..

http://www.realtystore.com/search.do...unty=Pinellas&

Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 AM

436 posts, read 1,120,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtuoso View Post
The $14k houses. Where else in Florida can I find houses at these prices but without risking my life? I think Punta Gorda is a candidate but the same questions apply - crime rate, etc.
While looking on Zillow, I saw some cheap (small) condos around that price up around the northern end of St Pete. They may have been a bit over (27K or so) but I'm not sure.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:38 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I actually found a few that the OP was referring to that aren't in any war zones. At that price range one isn't going to find the ideal neighborhood, however there are developing neighborhoods where one can realize a significant return on investment if in it for longer than short-term. One listing for $17,500 is located across I-375 from St Anthony's Hospital where there has been steady improvements. Another for $19,900 is located just south of Central in Kenwood. Yet another (at $15,000) is available in Gulfport, which is known as an up and coming neighborhood.

I give props to the OP for considering it. St Petersburg is full of great neighborhoods waiting on redevelopment, but sadly few are considering it. I hope to start myself once I get established financially to the point where I can begin flipping. At the risk of sounding like a "know-it-all Northerner" (even though I am a native Floridian), I wish Floridians could learn how to fix what's broken versus fleeing to something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay