Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:33 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

I would suggest you try and find a place that is not a long commute. You might want to check out Riverview. I wouldn't suggest Holiday as it is more of a retirement community.

Just remember what one person considers safe or a nice place another may not. Wesley Chapel is very family oriented. Land O lakes is also very nice and safe. There is also Trinity which is near Land O Lakes. There are a lot of places just be careful and don't use Craigslist to find a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
we are 6 on 39k and barely make a living here
no wonder you hate tampa so vehemently

Old 12-31-2010, 11:42 PM

451 posts, read 933,826 times
I live in a very, very desirable part of South Tampa in a 3 bedroom house with a fenced yard for right around what you want to pay. For $1000/month, you can absolutely find a nice place to live in the Tampa Bay, and you can live above the poverty level for that expense. You just gotta dig, friend. You'll find what you're looking for.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
no wonder you hate tampa so vehemently
Agreed. I think you've discovered the crack in Tampa City Data's most annoying broken record.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
you CAN find places for $1000, but they are not all safe as you imagine.....
Complete and utter nonsense. Your experience is not universal, Algia-- from what I gathered, your experience is very, very limited and overstated. Where you live and what you experience is not indicative of the wider lifestyle in Tampa. I live in a terribly desirable, safe, hip and growing neighborhood in South Tampa. I pay that very number you mentioned above for a three bedroom house with a fenced in yard. I could leave my front door wide open, leave for a weekend and return to find nothing missing. I know my neighbors by their first names and they know me the same.

Your experience may completely suck where you are. I'm not going to question that or try to take that away from you. But other people, namely me, are having amazing experiences in this great city and wish for others to have experiences similar to my own. If your own reports of Tampa were indicative and conclusive of what Tampa is, I wouldn't want to be here either. But you clearly don't know my Tampa. I'd venture to guess that you're miles away from downtown and south Tampa. From where I sit, I'm happy to avoid where you live as well.

I tell you though, if I lived where you did, and things were as bad as you claim they are, I sure as heck would love it if I could focus your uncontrollable frustration on making my area better. Have you done that for yourself?

Old 01-02-2011, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 21,129 times
The towns I mentioned are the ones we were more familiar with. I said we weren't familiar with Tampa proper, which means Tampa, not the areas around it like the ones I mentioned.
Safe means a safe reputation,not a run-down or up and coming neighborhood that isn't that great now but has potential. Family friendly means a family neighborhood as opposed to one that draws a lot of singles interested in a nightlife and clubs and trendy hotspots.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:35 PM

7 posts, read 21,129 times
Thank you. I have faith!

Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
There are plenty of areas all over Tampa Bay that fit your needs. S. Tampa is one. Homes are older but the feel of the area is great IMO. There is a small area in SoHo where there are nice restaurants and bars, but the area is mostly families.

Honestly you can find many fun things to do. My opinion is if all you do is look for the bad that is all you are going to find.

Tampa Bay performing arts Center has Broadway plays and other cultural events. There are art shows every spring all over the downtown area. There is the Renaissance festival which is a lot of fun plus the Strawberry and State Fair every year. I love to go to Ybor's Fresh Market on Saturdays. Go for Cuban coffee and toast in one of the cuban restaurants. Stroll around check out the casitas. Ride the trolley, go to the Aquarium, to the zoo.
You can find lots of things to do if you just look.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:42 AM

69 posts, read 86,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
Complete and utter nonsense. Your experience is not universal, Algia-- from what I gathered, your experience is very, very limited and overstated. Where you live and what you experience is not indicative of the wider lifestyle in Tampa. I live in a terribly desirable, safe, hip and growing neighborhood in South Tampa. I pay that very number you mentioned above for a three bedroom house with a fenced in yard. I could leave my front door wide open, leave for a weekend and return to find nothing missing. I know my neighbors by their first names and they know me the same.

Your experience may completely suck where you are. I'm not going to question that or try to take that away from you. But other people, namely me, are having amazing experiences in this great city and wish for others to have experiences similar to my own. If your own reports of Tampa were indicative and conclusive of what Tampa is, I wouldn't want to be here either. But you clearly don't know my Tampa. I'd venture to guess that you're miles away from downtown and south Tampa. From where I sit, I'm happy to avoid where you live as well.

I tell you though, if I lived where you did, and things were as bad as you claim they are, I sure as heck would love it if I could focus your uncontrollable frustration on making my area better. Have you done that for yourself?
Well said..

Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
You can find homes for around $1100 in Land O Lakes and Riverview. Be careful when looking at homes to rent listed on Craigslist. If it is too good to be true it probably is. Make sure you get the landord's name and look up the info on the property at the tax collectors website. Make sure the name of the property owner and the landlord you are speaking with are the same person. This is just one step you can take from renting a foreclosed/scam landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay