Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 07:23 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

I wish everybody a Happy New Year and understand that employees want to go home early but on the other hand I don't understand why the Mall closed at 6 pm!

We went late this afternoon shopping at Brandon Mall and with us many other people arrived late in the afternoon and to our surprise the Mall closed at 6 pm.

Many people were sent away and there were still lots of people in shopping mood.

I thought the stores wanted to make money...perhaps people will go the next day, but others will not go and save it for later which might be a loss for the store right now.

If it was like 20-50 people still in the Mall I could understand but the parking lot was still pretty full.

Sorry but in todays economy I can't understand that this happened.

Other stores outside the Mall that stayed open had plenty of customers...very smart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I wish everybody a Happy New Year and understand that employees want to go home early but on the other hand I don't understand why the Mall closed at 6 pm!
May have been a mall management decision and not the majority of individual stores..

Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 PM

51 posts, read 133,931 times
My company transferred me to a mall store a few years ago, so I can clear this one up pretty easily.

The manager of each individual store doesn't go "hey, there's still tons of people in the mall! lets **** them off and close!".

The mall management sets the hours for the building. All stores are required to be open by a certain time and close by a certain time, or face the possibility of being fined by mall management. The exceptions are generally anchor stores who might sometimes have big sales (macys, saks, dillars, etc. etc.) and video game/record/movie stores who will sometimes host midnight launches of a highly anticipated title. To breach the accepted mall hours a store is required to fill out a form stating what specific days they are expecting to be open earlier/later and submit it to mall management.

Most malls have their hours posted at all entrances to the building (including a calendar of all holiday shopping hours) to inform shoppers what time the mall will be open until. So really, it's quite unfair to be upset at retailers for not being open when the doors you pass through have the malls hours of operation posted on them.

And as someone who works in one of these stores. Yes, I do want to go home when I'm scheduled to go home regardless of how many people are still walking around this place.

If this sounds bitter, I appologize. I spend the entirety November and December having to deal with people who expect me to reopen my locked doors, get my tills out of my safe, turn my lights back on, restart all of my machines and serve them because they think they're special and can't abide by posted hours. This time of year I tend to be a bit jaded and bitter about these sorts of topics.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casanova baby! View Post
My company transferred me to a mall store a few years ago, so I can clear this one up pretty easily.

The manager of each individual store doesn't go "hey, there's still tons of people in the mall! lets **** them off and close!".

The mall management sets the hours for the building. All stores are required to be open by a certain time and close by a certain time, or face the possibility of being fined by mall management. The exceptions are generally anchor stores who might sometimes have big sales (macys, saks, dillars, etc. etc.) and video game/record/movie stores who will sometimes host midnight launches of a highly anticipated title. To breach the accepted mall hours a store is required to fill out a form stating what specific days they are expecting to be open earlier/later and submit it to mall management.

Most malls have their hours posted at all entrances to the building (including a calendar of all holiday shopping hours) to inform shoppers what time the mall will be open until. So really, it's quite unfair to be upset at retailers for not being open when the doors you pass through have the malls hours of operation posted on them.

And as someone who works in one of these stores. Yes, I do want to go home when I'm scheduled to go home regardless of how many people are still walking around this place.

If this sounds bitter, I appologize. I spend the entirety November and December having to deal with people who expect me to reopen my locked doors, get my tills out of my safe, turn my lights back on, restart all of my machines and serve them because they think they're special and can't abide by posted hours. This time of year I tend to be a bit jaded and bitter about these sorts of topics.
I have been in sales for the majority of my life and owned my own stores. I'm glad that we could set our own times. I would be sick if people would be in my store and I had to tell them to leave, specially in today's economy.

I was shopping for just items that would I would like, not really what I need and would have spent more money...now I can say, it saved me money and since I wasn't shopping for things that I had to pay for with a giftcard...I can say the stores missed out of my money which now is their loss...

I'm just wondering how many like me didn't go back yesterday. Over here with the cold days and now nice days I think stores could have made more money.

Ofcourse I know some store employees loved to go home, I understand, but in the end jobs don't come back that way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: