Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 05:16 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
It is a bit of a digression, Bentlebee, but that's one of the reason why I don't use a cell phone here. Not only they charge when YOU call, also when you RECEIVE a call, even more abusive, when you call someone who doesn't take the call (not getting a voice mail of course), they charge at the second ring.

Even in Mexico, they charge you only when you talk to someone.

With the number of calls I make, I would spend a fortune, setting aside that I have 3 phones in my house and only one cell... that is always lost somewhere. Also the fact that so many accidents occur when people are using their cells while driving. You get a high fine in France if they get you talking (even with the headset). It is theoritically forbidden in Mexico too. They are the only countries that I really know.
Thats a great reason to completely avoid an increasingly neccessary technology.

Are you really worried about what might come out to be two minutes a month? I have 900 minutes a month, and thousands of roll over minutes that I will never use, and each year lose a bunch because they go unused. You dont have a cell phone for this reason? It is 2011, we live in a society where there is a reasonable expectation to be able to contact someone at any given point. As a single guy, I use my mothers cell phone as my emergency contact, and I am glad she has a cell phone... um, in case there is an emergency. It never even phased me that some people still dont have cell phones. Personally, I think it is irresponsible to completely disregard the idea of owning a cell phone.

Explain "theoritically forbidden"...

this post is virtually nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:41 PM

249 posts, read 440,523 times
I had not received a notice about your post... as well .

First, I may be much more "technically" and "technologically" advanced than you, we will not discuss about that here, I am sure you feel much superior... but is a cell phone necessary? I am also aware of the dangers of cell phones, that YOU will realize when it is too late! You should open your mind, I know many people who are not cell phone addicted, mostly ITs, BTW!

Yes, anyone calls anyone else just to say "where are you?" "what are you doing?". Is THAT necessary??? It is not 2 minutes a month, it is almost 24 hours a day. If you make a lot of money, I am happy for you, I don't (I have now zero income), so I have to choose very carefully where I put it. I DO have one, not with 900 minutes a month though, and I use it when I really need it.

You mom is very lucky, my children live in Europe, my parents are dead, I am also the only child, so in case of emergency... I think there is a number: 911, for that purpose . How did you do 10 or 20 years ago? I used to live in Africa, a long time ago, I didn't even have a landline, we did without it. You are just spoiled.

And in my opinion, all countries that have a bit of common sense, prohibit talking (even worse texting) while driving. In Mexico, it is forbidden, but you must know that there, you can buy the cops, so if they need money and you agree to give, they close their eyes. I lived there 11 years, so I know what I am talking about.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
RE Cell phones: unless you're in a job where you're on-call or have family members that may need to get in touch regarding emergency, I don't think you should be tethered to one. I travel with one for car emergencies (AAA), but since I'm in control of my life now (not working), the cell stays in the drawer unless I hit the road.

Re: Brighthouse. I picked up TIVo recently and found out that I need a "cable card" to see HDTV on TIVO. Wouldn't you know that BH leases this. Another way to nickel and dime its customers. Maybe I should look on ebay.

Anway, BH failed to show for an appt the other day- actually the tech called after I waited 2 hrs - said he's be 1 1/2 hr late. I wrote a complaint. BH is crediting me $20 for the inconvenience and reschedule.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 AM

463 posts, read 1,047,907 times
We have HDTV on our DVR box for Brighthouse and we don't require a cable card?? I'm a little confused by your statement, do you need the cable card for your BH service or TIVO?

Old 01-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Cable card and tuning adapter is needed for Tivo...at an added costs. They nickel and dime you to death..don't they?

Old 01-20-2011, 04:09 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Cable card and tuning adapter is needed for Tivo...at an added costs. They nickel and dime you to death..don't they?
When the Brighthouse employee/tech advised me to buy a Tivo I started to look into it online and came across all kind of fees, and still you need a card from Bright House...and if the Tivo doesn't work you can't have it replaced you need a new one...so I stayed with Brighthouse...

Old 01-20-2011, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I hope this box lasts over 4-5 yrs (warranteed). I have a lifetime subscription for the box so it'll pay for itself after that time, but the card/adapter will be "leased".

Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 65,912 times
they need to cut the volume down on their advertising spots. sometimes it scares me. and if i were
close to them i'd.....

Old 01-21-2011, 07:52 AM

177 posts, read 685,529 times
Is the Brighthouse internet service reliable enough to use for our only home phone service?

We want Internet and and home phone (either using the Internet providers phone service or something like Vonage) only. But the home phone service has to be almost 100% reliable so that a disabled person could get help in an emergency.

Where we currently live we use ATT DSL and their analog home phone service. The DSL has been down occasionally but the home phone service was only down once in 10 years (after a severe ice storm).

Last edited by dlhanson; 01-21-2011 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: Correct spelling

Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,446 times
Internet phone is good untill you have power in your house and you have connectivity to the internet. If either one of that fails, your VOIP phone will fail too. If it is critical communication channel, keep you analog phone, with the machine that does not require power to run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay