Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I did that, I was connecting through VZ Manager.

Aha, so basically now that they switched to 3G I won't be able to do that anymore? what is the best way to get signal up there now? This place is only 5 minutes up a hill...if I drive down I'll get signal right away...
Now that Verizon offers specific data networks which work seperately from its cellular network, there is nothing you can do. For example, sometimes with my iPhone, I have no data network availible when traveling (3G or EDGE), but I have my basic GSM coverage in spotty areas. I can make phone calls, but not check my email. Years ago, the Data and Cellular networks were one in the same.

They are now two different technologies and sometimes the signal strength is there for your phone calls (CDMA), but not data (3G), hardly ever the other way around. I suspect years ago you could access the internet up the hill before verizon rolled out its data networks, when you could essentially use your cell phone as a standard modem at "dial-up" speeds because you were accessing the internet much the way you would from a dial-up modem at home through a "Public Switched Telephone Network" or PSTN. Now that they offer data networks, more comparable to "broadband" which runs seperately from the cellular network, and on a less strong/consistant network, albeit far quicker and superior, It is likely you are not getting 3G up the hill, which you now need to connect to the internet, whereas a few years ago, the simple Cellular (in your case with Verizon CDMA) which is stronger and more consistant, was able to connect to the internet through a PSTN, thus allowing you to access the web in more places, although slower- and hard on the network.

You are the rare instance where technology has actually limited you (and I cant help but feel this wouldnt happen to anyone else other than you algia ) Until 3G signal is stronger in the area, or they roll out 4G or LTE in the area, you are stuck without service up there. The same signal is still there, they are just no longer offering data transfer other than voice on those frequencies and network.

Last edited by craigm1841; 01-04-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,762 times
Interesting that they split the networks that way. I use, and don't laught, T-Mobile and even without 3G i'm able to check my e-mail or upload that picture to the facebook from my phone. However even with T-Mobile i get good 3G coverage around the city and it wears off only in country.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Interesting that they split the networks that way. I use, and don't laught, T-Mobile and even without 3G i'm able to check my e-mail or upload that picture to the facebook from my phone. However even with T-Mobile i get good 3G coverage around the city and it wears off only in country.
When you are not accessing 3G for data, due to 3G signal constraints in the area, you are accessing the "Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution" (EDGE) network, which is a mobile phone technology that allows improved data transmission rates as a backward-compatible extension of GSM. EDGE is considered a pre-3G radio technology.

My iPhone switches to EDGE when 3G is unavailible. Your phone may or may not have an "E" in place of "3G" when it is doing the same.

T-Mobile is a GSM phone like mine (AT&T), while it works simarly to a CDMA phone like algia's, there are a few differences, this being one of them. For very short periods of time, in rare circumstances, my EDGE will cut out too- but this also usually results in a dropped call. while NOT using 3G, you should not be able to make a phone call AND post to facebook at the same time, as you can with the 3G network, as it is utilizing an entirely different network than the Cellular GSM network. Data other than digital voice is no longer passed through a PSTN from mobile devices.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 AM

97 posts, read 353,191 times
Wow, lots of (probably) unnecessary info in this thread. Yes, Wi-Fi is not the same as using a wireless frequency via a router, but I think we all knew what the person meant, right? Some of you were just showing off

algia: You will be fine with Verizon FiOS. Their modem/router is also a wireless router so you will be able to connect to it with your laptops, without ethernet cables. Best of luck!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
well, I am glad to know that "E" on my ipad stands for EDGE and not error....LOLOL I get that in the middle of nowhere generally and it is slower, but still works.

I stopped using that as a modem after I got the ipad....but now it all makes sense and I hope that the G4 or something else will work up there in the future, I haven't tried AT&T with the ipad yet....next summer unless by some miracle we get there before that....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
When you are not accessing 3G for data, due to 3G signal constraints in the area, you are accessing the "Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution" (EDGE) network, which is a mobile phone technology that allows improved data transmission rates as a backward-compatible extension of GSM. EDGE is considered a pre-3G radio technology.

My iPhone switches to EDGE when 3G is unavailible. Your phone may or may not have an "E" in place of "3G" when it is doing the same.

T-Mobile is a GSM phone like mine (AT&T), while it works simarly to a CDMA phone like algia's, there are a few differences, this being one of them. For very short periods of time, in rare circumstances, my EDGE will cut out too- but this also usually results in a dropped call. while NOT using 3G, you should not be able to make a phone call AND post to facebook at the same time, as you can with the 3G network, as it is utilizing an entirely different network than the Cellular GSM network. Data other than digital voice is no longer passed through a PSTN from mobile devices.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM

all tho....Verizon, and also the specs on my Droid, says that it too can be used as a modem with that VZ manager???? I wonder how that works? considering the above....will it make a difference that it is a smart phone?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
all tho....Verizon, and also the specs on my Droid, says that it too can be used as a modem with that VZ manager???? I wonder how that works? considering the above....will it make a difference that it is a smart phone?
It can be used as a "modem", but it is providing a network connection for the 3G network. The DROID can also be used as a mobile hotspot, in which you can connect additional wireless devices to it via its own WLAN, but again, it utlizes 3G to connect to the internet.

There is a way to get the phone to connect to the internet using standard CDMA to a dial-up network, but it requires you to install software such as "PDAnet". This software is probably tough to get going, I think it costs around $30, and I know nothing about it- so I cant really help or advise on this topic.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Old 01-04-2011, 02:52 PM

Yeah, it was really cool connecting it to my wireless network (the Droid I mean)...

Ok.....

Thank you,

How long does the FIOS install take? we have it scheduled but I was just curious.....

Quote:
It can be used as a "modem", but it is providing a network connection for the 3G network. The DROID can also be used as a mobile hotspot, in which you can connect additional wireless devices to it via its own WLAN, but again, it utlizes 3G to connect to the internet.

There is a way to get the phone to connect to the internet using standard CDMA to a dial-up network, but it requires you to install software such as "PDAnet". This software is probably tough to get going, I think it costs around $30, and I know nothing about it- so I cant really help or advise on this topic.

PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android

Old 01-04-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it was really cool connecting it to my wireless network (the Droid I mean)...

Ok.....

Thank you,

How long does the FIOS install take? we have it scheduled but I was just curious.....
I live in a FIOS only community, so it was ready to go... about 20 minutes, but I have heard it can be 4+ hours for first timers.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Ohh, cool.....Thanks,

Quote:
I live in a FIOS only community, so it was ready to go... about 20 minutes, but I have heard it can be 4+ hours for first timers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay