U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:18 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,308,294 times

Advertisements

As I wrote on a post a few minutes before, we are switching to Fios and I want to ask "you" who have a channel line up book at home if you know the names of the channels that broadcast ballet, classic music concerts etc if any....I have the PDF from treir website but the names don't ring at all....other than Ovation...

Thank you in advance.

P.S Can you start over shows? and if so, can you forward and rewind them or not?

Last edited by algia; 01-03-2011 at 05:29 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM

249 posts, read 412,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
the names of the channels that broadcast ballet, classic music concerts etc if any....
THAT would convert me, maybe not in a TV fan, but at least a once-in-a-while-watcher. But I spend so much time on my computer and in reading

Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM

LOL! me too, I search You tube and watch online most times too as networks are infested with football and other unwatchable programs....

I dream of the day when I can choose what channels I want to watch and pay for those and not 200+ channels I never watch....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
THAT would convert me, maybe not in a TV fan, but at least a once-in-a-while-watcher. But I spend so much time on my computer and in reading

Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM

772 posts, read 1,678,932 times
HI Algia,

I have Fios. You cannot start over shows, they don't have On Demand for many of the channels like Time Warner/Brighthouse does. You can reverse live shows, but you can't foward them unless you get the DVR box and record them and then play them back/time-shift. Their cable boxes also do not have PIP - Picture in a picture for watching two shows or monitoring a channel. However, you can use your computer as a Media Player and distribute videos, pictures, music to any cable box in the house.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:13 PM

Cool, Thank you, I usually record them...it was kind of annoying to not be able to forward or rewind after restarting it....

I like the media player thing, that would work for me especially with the photos and music....and use the surround sound through the entire house...i like that....hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
HI Algia,

I have Fios. You cannot start over shows, they don't have On Demand for many of the channels like Time Warner/Brighthouse does. You can reverse live shows, but you can't foward them unless you get the DVR box and record them and then play them back/time-shift. Their cable boxes also do not have PIP - Picture in a picture for watching two shows or monitoring a channel. However, you can use your computer as a Media Player and distribute videos, pictures, music to any cable box in the house.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 AM

97 posts, read 326,462 times
I have Verizon FiOS.

Here is all you need to know:

1. Best mainstream residential Internet connection you can get in the United States.
2. Best video quality you can get for TV channels. They basically pass-through the channels as they receive them from networks, with no quality reduction or compression.

As for ballet and classical music... no idea. I only watch the HD channels anyway. I know HDNet has some "Concert Series" stuff which is pretty good.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:44 AM

Thank you,

Can you tell me (If you have it) how does the Wi-Fi work? and if it can be used on a Mac?
How was the reception? was it still fast?

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplunk View Post
I have Verizon FiOS.

Here is all you need to know:

1. Best mainstream residential Internet connection you can get in the United States.
2. Best video quality you can get for TV channels. They basically pass-through the channels as they receive them from networks, with no quality reduction or compression.

As for ballet and classical music... no idea. I only watch the HD channels anyway. I know HDNet has some "Concert Series" stuff which is pretty good.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,021,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Thank you,

Can you tell me (If you have it) how does the Wi-Fi work? and if it can be used on a Mac?
How was the reception? was it still fast?

Thanks,
Wi-Fi is a trademark of the Wi-Fi alliance, and a term erroniously used all of the time. Wi-Fi is in fact NOT a technology. You will essentially have a wireless local area network (WLAN) with internet connectivity, which is what you have now, but you are connected by a CAT-5 (ethernet) cable to your modem or router.

Wireless local area networks are viewable and connectable (depending on security) to anything that has a wireless network card like computers, smart phones, playstations, etc. The wireless network is set up using a wireless router as opposed to a standard router. Computers with wireless network cards communicate with a wireless router in the 2.4, 3.6 and 5 GHz frequency bands using over-the-air modulation techniques. A modem is connected to the router and acts as the gateway to the world wide web/internet.

Wireless network cards have been standard on laptops for about five years, and standard on most desktops. Wi-Fi is pretty much a part of life, and I am actually quite suprised to see someone not familiar with it. I am even more suprised that you still have a computer wired to a wall.

So in the end- it depends on your computer whether or not it is "Wi-Fi Ready", if you will. Chances are, it is. If it is not, you are looking at spending about $30 for a wireless network.

Your wireless network will be fast. there are different technologies availible, some better than others. The average, and even advanced users like myself wont be able to determine a difference in internet speed. Even wirelessly, your internet connectivity will be lightning fast. unless you are uploading/downloading, gigabytes or terabites of information a day, you wont notice a difference. It is possible for WLANs to be degraded in a home do to a lot of reasons, but the difference is usually negligable. it is like asking if your leer jet would be faster if you cleaned the windshield before taking off. The particles of dirt you removed might increase aerodynamic efficiency, but you wont notice the difference.

If you are familiar with a "Wi-Fi Hotspot" that places like macdonalds, airports, and starbucks have, that is essentially what you will have in your home. I would tell you to feel special, but you might be the last person in America to have one . I set up a WLAN in my home 12 years ago, when I was 16.

Some more on a WLAN from wikipedia:

Quote:
A wireless local area network (WLAN) links two or more devices using some wireless distribution method (typically spread-spectrum or OFDM radio), and usually providing a connection through an access point to the wider internet. This gives users the mobility to move around within a local coverage area and still be connected to the network.

Wireless LANs have become popular in the home due to ease of installation, and the increasing popularity of laptop computers. Public businesses such as coffee shops and malls have begun to offer wireless access to their customers; sometimes for free. Large wireless network projects are being put up in many major cities: New York City, for instance, has begun a pilot program to cover all five boroughs of the city with wireless Internet access.[

Last edited by craigm1841; 01-04-2011 at 07:56 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 AM

463 posts, read 963,637 times
Hey my computer is wired to the wall and i don't see nothing wrong with it

For 99% percent of the users WLAN will be no difference from LAN connection for later wireless standards, however if you need low latency and you have a lot of wireless noise around your house (cordless phones, microvawes and other electronic protable devices) you might want to keep wired. But then again, then you will be complaining about the dirt on the plane's windshield

Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,021,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Hey my computer is wired to the wall and i don't see nothing wrong with it
Maybe a desktop... but definately not a laptop

I actually prefer my desktop to be wired to the wall as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay