Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 PM

794 posts, read 1,856,240 times

Advertisements

My lease states that I need to maintain the lawn. However, when I moved into my rental in April of 2010, the lawn was a mess and still is. The whole thing is dead with sandy spots.

The homeowners association has now forced the landlord to put in sod in the spring. Now the owner wants me to water the lawn everyday and pay for periodic treatment of insecticide. Why should I pay for that? Shouldn't they allow me to deduct this from the rent? In my opinion this is structural and NOT basic lawn maintenance (mowing, trimming). Do I need to pay for Fertilizer as well?

None of this is specified in the lease.

Thanks
Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,275,174 times
My hubby maintains the lawn here, occasionally, like once a year, he buys a bag of fertilizer, $20 some bucks...watering it should not be an issue his lawn should already have sprinklers, if it doesn't he needs to pay to install them. Just use a timer and water it at night so it doesn't evaporate as fast.

Owner pays monthly himself if a company is hired....it is NOT your responsability to pay maintenance on his lawn unless you want too. My husband is obsessed with his precious lawn so for some unexplained reason he takes care of ours witout complain! but we don't pay any outside maintenance, like I said once a year he buys a bag of fertilizer...

thankfully with all the rain we got in the summer we didn't even need to water it much, which was nice on our water bill since there is no reclaimed water for the lawn where we live except for the common areas.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:05 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,301,801 times
You need to maintain the lawn to the standard the landlord has set, by whatever means neccessary. It is in your lease. If you dont like the fact you have to now maintain a nice lawn and want the dirthole that you rented at one point, it is time to look for a new rental property and move out when your lease is up... OR renegotiate lease terms at the end of your lease.

Maintaining the lawn, especially if it is specified in the lease, pretty reasonable. If you move out and the lawn is garbage, your security deposit could be used to re-sod or fix the lawn.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,646,405 times
Recently the law has changed for tenants and LL regarding yard and maintenance.

If it isn't clearly stated in the lease the tenant can't be held responsible for it other than the usual maintenance.

The lease has to state if bushes need to be trimmed when getting higher than certain demensions and trimming of trees, which is usually for the LL.

There are County ordinances in most counties for watering the lawn and I don't think Pasco or Hillsborough County is allowing watering the lawn daily due to the amount of rain we had...or better said "didn't have"!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone; just to be clear i'm talking about very frequent watering during the initial installation of a SOD lawn. This is sometimes twice a day everyday for weeks. I shudder to think what my water bill will be.

I already water the lawn twice a week uncontested in accordance with HOA rules/water restrictions.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,664,186 times
If you live there and enjoy the place just work with him and maybe ask for a reduction of rent if
your cost goes up more than it should.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:15 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,301,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone; just to be clear i'm talking about very frequent watering during the initial installation of a SOD lawn. This is sometimes twice a day everyday for weeks. I shudder to think what my water bill will be.

I already water the lawn twice a week uncontested in accordance with HOA rules/water restrictions.
your water bill might go from $30 to $45. I dont really see the problem with your water bill. Panhandlers in Tampa make $15 every 4-5 minutes when the light at their intersection turns red.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
your water bill might go from $30 to $45. I dont really see the problem with your water bill. Panhandlers in Tampa make $15 every 4-5 minutes when the light at their intersection turns red.
Holy smokes, that's $180 an hour or 7200 per week or $360,000 per year. I think I should quit my job a stake out a red light somewhere!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,275,174 times
I am sure some have PhD's and figured they make a better living doing this than teaching or having a practice and pay lots of taxes, rent etc........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Holy smokes, that's $180 an hour or 7200 per week or $360,000 per year. I think I should quit my job a stake out a red light somewhere!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:50 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,103,418 times
Our front lawn is a mess, but since there is no water faucet in the front of the house I have no desire to drag a house around from the back and water the lawn. I do mow it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay