Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times

Advertisements

If Florida were serious about gentrification, they would've straight up destroyed Nebraska Ave by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
If Florida were serious about gentrification, they would've straight up destroyed Nebraska Ave by now.
And thankfully they haven't!

Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
hahaha, when was the last time you saw a low income family attend an event there?

"Low Income" doesn't just mean $19k a year these days.....FYI... or less...at what things cost, $30k is low income for a family of just 4.

have you been?
Just because someone can't afford to attend an event doesn't mean they have no character. That is just straight elitist talk.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM

51 posts, read 133,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
You can't have one housing community to have young professionals and low income families living together. As sad as it is, higher class don't want to live next to the lover class. On the other hand i don't feel like listening babies crying, kids running or unemployed people hanging around early morning/evening when I'm at home trying to relax after day of work. Once they let lower income people to come in, the professionals will move away to the communities where they don't have to deal with such non sense.
So what you're saying is that if/when these young professionals have children they won't cry as infants and won't run as kids?

Also, how is that unemployed person hanging around their apartment different than you relaxing in your apartment after work? They aren't in YOUR apartment. Does this also apply to people with gainful employment who work different hours than you, are they allowed to be home at the same time as you?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casanova baby! View Post
So what you're saying is that if/when these young professionals have children they won't cry as infants and won't run as kids?

Also, how is that unemployed person hanging around their apartment different than you relaxing in your apartment after work? They aren't in YOUR apartment. Does this also apply to people with gainful employment who work different hours than you, are they allowed to be home at the same time as you?
are you kidding me?

Have you ever driven past a low income apartment complex (south dale mabry, south of gandy comes to mind) and seen gaggles of poorly dressed people just hanging out, chain smoking newports, sitting on milk crates, or garbage cars? Have you really never ever seen this?

I can tell you right now, I have been through low income places before, and hear children crying and dogs barking, but nicer complexes/condos, you dont hear this. I cannot explain the socioeconomic phenomenon that involves barking dogs and crying babies, but it just is.

I dont want to pull up to people sitting on milk crates waiting for their next meth or crack fix (depending on the color of your skin apparently), while their babies cry and dogs bark. It is not fair to me, therefore, I pay more to live in a nicer community because I can- and they cannot. I think some of us are just disappointed to hear that a pretty neat community is going to be allowing low income people to live there.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM

451 posts, read 933,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
I can tell you right now, I have been through low income places before, and hear children crying and dogs barking, but nicer complexes/condos, you dont hear this.
Craig, your experience is not absolute, and your fear here is a bit hyperbolic. I lived in mixed-income housing in Chicago for four years. It was a 17-story highrise in a very desirable area that was mostly commercial housing, but about 20% of the building was Section 8 subsidized with low-income tenants. In four years, I never once had to "pull up to people sitting on milk crates waiting for their next meth or crack fix".

Making room for low-income tenants is absolutely, positively something the city should do if this is a municipally-developed property. If they don't, its a segregationist use of public funds that totally ignores a section of the public this money should benefit.

Besides, this isn't about giving a handful of bums a free ride in a rich community. It's about giving a chance to low-income tenants to take advantage of partially-subsidized rent. This means what might turn out to be a 25% cut in rent costs to qualified low-income tenants. We're not talking felons here, but qualified people who hope to live in a nice community and escape tough alternatives in dangerous places.

When you give people like this an opportunity to live in a special place, they generally don't trash it. They don't sit on a milk crate waiting for a meth fix. The nicer the community, the better tenants like these treat it. This philosophy was a central part of Giuliani's restoration of New York City, a belief that community maintenance and cleanliness was as important to public safety as policing was. The more pride a citizen can take in their environment, the better they will treat it.

Broken windows theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM

17 posts, read 40,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
You can't have one housing community to have young professionals and low income families living together. As sad as it is, higher class don't want to live next to the lover class.
It has been working at Lowry in Denver for over ten years. I'm not familiar enough with Tampa, so perhaps the climate for this is better in Denver?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 AM

463 posts, read 1,052,370 times
Casanova and Think,
I lived in lower income apartment complex with my parents when i was younger, there was a level of noise, that i did not hear in my past few places, where community was geared trowards young professionals with dispossable income. I don't know why that happens, but there is a definite difference and if i can afford not to live with lower income people, i will move away, it's just my personal preference.

Now that said, i DO NOT think that every low income family is a crappy familly. There are quite a few of them trying their best to get ahead in life and actually quite pleasant to live by. I don't mind if there are 10% subsidized units in the complex who are rented to qualifying people, but if they have more, or does a poor job af screening applicants, then the community is going to fail attracting high income residents.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:22 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,706 times
Im not sure Encore is being built to attract young professionals. That is what the condos on Channelside and those high rise apartments near the museums are for. Encore seems to be the city's attempt to turn the projects that once looked like a suburban apartment complex into a true urban community. They plan on bringing the former displaced residents back, as they should, as well as offering opportunities for other residents.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,307,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Im not sure Encore is being built to attract young professionals. That is what the condos on Channelside and those high rise apartments near the museums are for. Encore seems to be the city's attempt to turn the projects that once looked like a suburban apartment complex into a true urban community. They plan on bringing the former displaced residents back, as they should, as well as offering opportunities for other residents.
if this is in fact the case, and the city/county is contributing, then I had the wrong impression. That is fine. I will no longer entertain the idea of moving there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay