U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,805,472 times

Advertisements

Out near 7th Ave, kinda headed in the N Nebraska area between Downtown and Ybor, I see theres barriers up with banners like new condos are gonna be built in that empty area there. The first thought that came to my mind was, a new boom? A new city condo housing boom coming soon? It looks like they are gonna build over there. I noticed this last week while in town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,187,846 times
You probably saw ENCORE! - Downtown's Tempo District

Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,187,335 times
it's been there for a while, not sure why it takes so long to get it up....I am curious to know what's the hold up...that Entire area is absolute Prime RE considering proximity to downtown and could easily be a smaller Manhattan considering the placement of both Nebraska and Florida Ave.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,490,341 times
I have mixed opinions. Since they tore down the projects to build it, I think they're supposed to have a certain number of low-income units set aside. If I understand the project, "regular" people will be able to rent in the complex, too. I just don't know how many professionals would willingly move into a partly low-income complex. I hope the retail portion succeeds, but who knows. I know that when they tore down the projects on North Florida, they replaced it with detacted units (I don't know if any non-low-income people live in there) and some buildings with retail on the first floor, but as far as I know, the storefronts are still vacant.

I want this project to succeed, but I'm just a little skeptical. Maybe I totally misunderstood the project and my guesses are completely wrong. Who knows?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM

2,363 posts, read 4,627,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post

Is this like Orlando's Creative Village?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 AM

3,380 posts, read 8,241,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
it's been there for a while, not sure why it takes so long to get it up....I am curious to know what's the hold up...that Entire area is absolute Prime RE considering proximity to downtown and could easily be a smaller Manhattan considering the placement of both Nebraska and Florida Ave.

I pray it does not become a smaller Manhattan. It needs to have a personality of its own.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,983,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I have mixed opinions. Since they tore down the projects to build it, I think they're supposed to have a certain number of low-income units set aside. If I understand the project, "regular" people will be able to rent in the complex, too. I just don't know how many professionals would willingly move into a partly low-income complex. I hope the retail portion succeeds, but who knows. I know that when they tore down the projects on North Florida, they replaced it with detacted units (I don't know if any non-low-income people live in there) and some buildings with retail on the first floor, but as far as I know, the storefronts are still vacant.

I want this project to succeed, but I'm just a little skeptical. Maybe I totally misunderstood the project and my guesses are completely wrong. Who knows?
I, for one, will not live in a building which has units set aside for low income families. It may sound a bit elitist, but I have worked very hard to get where I am, I deserve to live in more exclusive communities. That is just how the world works. I get rewarded from working my ass off, they do not. And I dont come from a privelaged childhood, so save your lectures. I have full intentions of moving to Encore in a few years when it is done. I will not be if this is truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
Is this like Orlando's Creative Village?
ENCORE is going to have more of a music/artsy vibe as oppesed to a Tech vibe that Creative Villiage has. As a musician, I welcome more venues for young musicians to express themselves and for local residents to be entertained.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:26 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,187,335 times
Of course it needs to have it's own personality....if it were me, I would have that entire area done Art Deco which is totally Florida style.....But then again, I am a small fish....who's going to listen to "me"! LOL

I mentioned "Manhattan" regarding the number of buildings, businesses residences etc to fill out that enormous gap that exists there now and make it look like a real city/part of downtown where middle class incomes can reside comfortably.

Yeah, considering the "LOCATION"....next to downtown, where qualified/educated people work, I don't think this should have any "low income" housing mixed in, that will keep the area low on Quality...Unfortunately. & Tourists away.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I pray it does not become a smaller Manhattan. It needs to have a personality of its own.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I would have that entire area done Art Deco which is totally Florida style
This would be great. I really don't care as long as it's not more stucco and Spanish tiling.

Quote:
I don't think this should have any "low income" housing mixed in, that will keep the area low on Quality...Unfortunately. & Tourists away.....
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it will have to have low-income units since the Tampa Housing Authority is involved.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 PM

18 posts, read 45,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post

I am Under the same impression has you, Hopefully once they get this up and going it'll help Ybor regain some of it's former glory and some of the Riff Raff will go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or