U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,455 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I've had enough of Atlanta winters and think I've narrowed a potential move to St. Pete.

Can anyone suggest good (and bad) neighborhoods? How is crime there?

If you hate the place, let me know - if you love it, DO share!

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,440 times
Reputation: 10
Beaches are great, stay away from St Pete south of Central Ave. Crime has risen lots lately with the dip in the economy. On a good note, housing prices have bottomed out so its a buyers market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: Tampa
1,317 posts, read 1,982,879 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriemsmith View Post
I am Carrie McCollum Smith w/ Smith and Associates. We specialize in Tampa/St.Pete please feel free to contact me so I can send you some links on this wonderful area. www.smithandassociates.com carriemsmith.mfr.mlxchange.com cmsmith@smithandassociates.com 813-505-2944



Quote:
Real Estate Agents and other businesses will not advertise their services nor solicit business in their posts. Create a free business profile by going to //www.city-data.com/profiles/add and fill out your forum profile instead. Do not include links to your websites, MLS listings, etc. in your posts. Do not try to push the envelope by attempting to hide your intentions. Do not solicit business by DMs. Show your knowledge about the area and help people and you will get leads naturally. Real estate agents should join the usergroup for them here: //www.city-data.com/forum/profi...editusergroups. It will set your user title and add an icon next to your name, so you will get free advertising with your posts.
Reported.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,329 posts, read 6,017,133 times
Reputation: 5953
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Reported.
That took less than 20 minutes...


Don't believe all the hype about South St. Pete-some of it's bad, some of it's great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Tampa
1,317 posts, read 1,982,879 times
Reputation: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
That took less than 20 minutes...


Don't believe all the hype about South St. Pete-some of it's bad, some of it's great.
i didnt like the advice she gave a couple in another thread here, so i tattled on her.

Besides... I have always been a bit of a vigilante.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 AM
 
12 posts, read 40,244 times
Reputation: 24
north east st.pete is really nice. My sister lives on 1 st n.e. The hershaw neighborhood is nice and safe. off 22nd ave n and u.s 19 or 34th st.any where south of 22nd ave north is a crime ridden place.feather sound is a really nice place to live also. ulmerton rd near the st.pete clearwater airport and 275 access to tampa .tyrone area is also real nice . i moved away from there is 2008 and lived there 45 years before that. i have seen good changes and bad. crime is really bad. .anything south of central ave n is the crime area and has move north bordering central ave to the north. pretty to visit , but watch getting gas and stuff. the homeless population is intense and they will hit you up everytime you get out of your car. Just saw on you tube some vids on the closing of businesses and rundown buildings in and around the downtown area and the city has to go around spraying the alleys to kill the smell of urine from the homeless sleeping in the alleys. But its still home to me and i miss it , but it is much cheeper to live in tenn.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
 
22,452 posts, read 33,288,088 times
Reputation: 21948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaganorama View Post
I've had enough of Atlanta winters and think I've narrowed a potential move to St. Pete.

Can anyone suggest good (and bad) neighborhoods? How is crime there?

If you hate the place, let me know - if you love it, DO share!

Thanks!!
St Pete is a great city with amazing potential that is finally being realized. I think it's a good time to buy as prices have bottomed out in the older housing market (new construction is another story).

Check out the neighborhoods of Old Northeast (quite expensive), Allendale/Five Points (much less expensive yet borders Old Northeast), Crescent Lake (moderate/established/historic) and Tyrone/Holiday Park (least expensive of all mentioned). If you want to look into a developing neighborhood where you're more likely to see sizable appreciation of equity and wouldn't mind a fixer look around the Kenwood and Round Lake neighborhoods. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:19 AM
 
17,804 posts, read 22,197,639 times
Reputation: 36125
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
Reported.

It shows you how desperate the realtors here are. They're like flies on you know what the second someone posts.

The OP didn't even mention wanting to buy anything and is most likely looking to rent an apt...LOL.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Tampa
2,602 posts, read 7,489,672 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum1964 View Post
north east st.pete is really nice. My sister lives on 1 st n.e. The hershaw neighborhood is nice and safe. off 22nd ave n and u.s 19 or 34th st.any where south of 22nd ave north is a crime ridden place.feather sound is a really nice place to live also. ulmerton rd near the st.pete clearwater airport and 275 access to tampa .tyrone area is also real nice . i moved away from there is 2008 and lived there 45 years before that. i have seen good changes and bad. crime is really bad. .anything south of central ave n is the crime area and has move north bordering central ave to the north. pretty to visit , but watch getting gas and stuff. the homeless population is intense and they will hit you up everytime you get out of your car. Just saw on you tube some vids on the closing of businesses and rundown buildings in and around the downtown area and the city has to go around spraying the alleys to kill the smell of urine from the homeless sleeping in the alleys. But its still home to me and i miss it , but it is much cheeper to live in tenn.
This is kind of an exaggeration. To say that everything under 22nd Avenue North is crime-ridden is a real stretch, since that implies that only about 1/3 of the city is safe. I go all over St. Pete on a fairly regular basis, and I've never felt uncomfortable. Granted, I avoid sketchy side streets and I don't hang out at liquor stores on 9th Street South, but that's common sense. The homeless have not been a problem since Pinellas/St. Pete passed the panhandling bans; the police respond to panhandling reports very quickly. Sure, there are still some homeless in some of the fringe areas of downtown, but they're not panhandling and they don't bother me if they're just hanging out around the shelter.

Those videos of the abandoned buildings make everything look bad because all they show is one abandoned building after another without any context. In reality, those buildings are spread out all over town and occupied buildings vastly outnumber the abandoned ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2011, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,329 posts, read 6,017,133 times
Reputation: 5953
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
This is kind of an exaggeration. To say that everything under 22nd Avenue North is crime-ridden is a real stretch, since that implies that only about 1/3 of the city is safe. I go all over St. Pete on a fairly regular basis, and I've never felt uncomfortable. Granted, I avoid sketchy side streets and I don't hang out at liquor stores on 9th Street South, but that's common sense. The homeless have not been a problem since Pinellas/St. Pete passed the panhandling bans; the police respond to panhandling reports very quickly. Sure, there are still some homeless in some of the fringe areas of downtown, but they're not panhandling and they don't bother me if they're just hanging out around the shelter.

Those videos of the abandoned buildings make everything look bad because all they show is one abandoned building after another without any context. In reality, those buildings are spread out all over town and occupied buildings vastly outnumber the abandoned ones.
I'm pretty sure I know what videos he's talking about-the guy who makes them thinks he's a budding journalist. He'll focus on one empty store front and declare the entire city is vacant. I've called him out on it occasionally and have been blocked from commenting further. He's touchy as hell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top