Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2011, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,246 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I have enjoyed reading all of your posts over the last few months about the Tampa Bay area. My wife and I are moving down there for my job in mid July. We are very excited about the move and have begun looking for homes, or more specifically neighborhoods, online (realtor.com). Like many others who have posted on this board, I am hoping some of you locals can help me narrow down a neighborhood or two that we should look at.

We are both in our late 20s, we are looking to buy a home in the $150,000 range. Would like to limit our mortage payment (w/insurance and taxes) to roughly $1,000 -$1,100 per month. We are not into the bar scene. We're pretty quiet people. We do like to eat at local restaurants (non-chains) and go to the movies. My wife is into Jazzercise. We'd like a house built in the last 10 years or so, 3-4 bedrooms, 2+ baths. I will be working downtown and am looking to keep my commute within 25-35 minutes each way. Also, we have some family in Lakeland, so we don't want to be TOO far from them.

I've been looking in Brandon so far. Is this a nice area? What about schools? We don't have children yet, but plan to in the next few years. I've read a lot about some places up north (i.e. Land o' Lakes) but those seem to be about 1:30 minutes or so from Lakeland. Plant City is probably too far from Tampa.

Anyways, I appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Where exactly will you be working? You say you have a job in the "Tampa Bay area" but that's pretty broad. It will help us to give suggestions based on your optimum commute time.

If you are working downtown, I have to say it is going to be a little tough, I think, even in this market, to find a 3/2 house built within the last 10 years within 35 minutes of downtown. You may luck out with a short sale. I don't know what the schools are like in Brandon but I think that's actually a pretty good place to start. Also look at Riverview. If your budget was a little higher I would suggest Westchase, but unless you stumble across a decent foreclosure there I'm not sure $150K is realistic for a 3/2 single family home in that area.

If you would be willing to consider a condo then Westchase may work. There may even be a condo in that range that you might like in South Tampa. South Tampa is great for young people and has great schools. But no way you'll get a 3/2 built within 10 years for $150K in South Tampa.

Also, I would seriously consider renting first so that you can get a better feel for the areas and make a more informed choice. I rented for about 7 months and I ended up buying in an area I don't think I would have considered when I first moved here.

Good luck!

Last edited by CrowGirl; 01-08-2011 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Forgot an important point.....

Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,541 times
If you go on realtor.com you can find a ton of homes under $150K. Try Wesley Chapel. That might not be too bad.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:19 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,519 times
Check Old Seminole Heights and Hampton Terrace around the Lake Roberta area. Idlewild/Roberta/Powhatten. Stay south of Hanna and north of Hillsborough. Stay West of 13th or so and east of the River.

It's a fun little pocket although they are arguing about historical designation.

But it's old homes and if you want new there are a few, but all in all it's older.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay