Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:06 AM

9 posts, read 11,437 times

Advertisements

As I read the posts of all those who are seeking advice regarding moving here, especially those who want to come without having secured a job; those who want to live near the beach; those who want to know about housing, schools, health care, transportation, etc...

Can anyone who made the transition post real life stories about making that tough decision to move and relate their experiences during those crucial first months to help those who are seeking to so the same. Some thoughts regarding some of the questions that you should answer;

1. What made you decide to move?

2. What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, pet)?

3. Did you have a job already when you moved?

4. Where was the first place you lived? how much did it cost?

5. What was your anxiety level like when you moved here?

6. Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy?

7. When did you start making friends?

8. Did you move from your first place?

9. Did you stay in your first job, or are you still looking?

10. How did you manage the first 3 months, being away from old friends, etc?

11. In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again?

I am hoping that this thread will provide some real life experience of what to expect. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,162 times
1. What made you decide to move? Family, weather, job

2. What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, pet)? Yes, all of that. The furniture part was a complete nightmare. Do your best research on moving companies before deciding who to go with, if you use one.
One car, one mini van. I drove one, DH drove the other.
One cat~ he did fine.
Small children. They did better than I thought they would. We drove for three days, rather than two very long days, so they would get more breaks. That worked well for us. We also got a DVD player for the van, which helped a bunch, although I got so sick of hearing Fraggle Rock I was nauseous.

3. Did you have a job already when you moved? Yes. IMO, in today's economy, moving anywhere without a job is not a good idea. Maybe if you are young and single and no one relies on you, but not with a family (unless you have boatloads of money already, of course).

4. Where was the first place you lived? how much did it cost? A house in mid-Pinellas. It was 1300/month. We wanted to rent until we knew the area better, and until we sold our house up north (we still haven't sold it, but we rent it out).

5. What was your anxiety level like when you moved here? Pretty low. I felt very good about moving here.

6. Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy? The culture is different here. It's subtle at first. I like it. Others don't.

7. When did you start making friends? I'm very social, so we were out meeting the neighbors within the first couple weeks. I met one of my good friends and her family within the first month. I also was fortunate to already have a very good friend not too far away already, and some cousins and uncles.

8. Did you move from your first place? Yes.The Landlord was absolutely awful. We had a leak in the roof for months, and mold started growing inside the house because of it. My kids and I were constantly sick. (btw, this isn't a "Florida thing", just a terrible LL. That was just one of countless issues with the house.)

9. Did you stay in your first job, or are you still looking? I work for myself, so that's not an issue for me. Dh is doing the job he came here with.

10. How did you manage the first 3 months, being away from old friends, etc? It didn't bother me too much. I adapt pretty well.

11. In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again? It was exactly the right decision for us.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,610 times
I moved here about month a half ago so i though i could share the experiences:

The company i was working for had a new job opportunities here in Tampa, and i decided to give it a shot and move here for a little different career path. So far it's working out better than i expected, at least for a job department.

Since it was my second move in 6 months, i did not have much of a furniture, no pets and no kids. I decided to get moving company to do my work, since i though it would be difficult to haul bed and sofa by myself. The moving company was OK. Actuall driver and movers were good, but their corporate customer service was bellow average. The communication between customer and their dispatch lady was terrible and the only way i could get anything out of her was to call and demand it over the phone. Had i knew that, i would have started to push them earlier. If you want more details/company name send a PM

I had a job with the company but not actuall position. But as previuos poster mentioned don't move if you don't have a job, it's pretty difficult to find one

I stayed in a hotel for two weeks, just because the place i'm in now was not available till 10th of december (stupid condo association approval process). Now i live in a 1bd condo next to bay and so far it's going great. Paying 700/month for the place.

I was excited more that anything i mean new city, new opportunity and so on.

No snow during christmas. People are friendly, also now i have to drive everywhere, but i guess i was too attached with walk-everywhere college lifestyle

Still trying to do that. Joined volleyball league which starts later this month, so i kidna hope it will work out well. I'm not the person who could go to the bar/restaurant and strike up a conversation so making friends is a little difficult for me.

not yet and i don't think i will for a while.

I'm with my job still, and don't plan on leaving anytime soon

Facebook stalking In all seriuosness, we just keep contact with each other via texts/calls/emails so i don't really feel alone.

In a heartbeat. This move opened so much career opportunities that were not available in my old position.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,357 times
Weather, Location, What I could make in relation to cost of living- I have a high income with a relatively lower cost of living. If I lived in DC, I would have a higher income, but a much higher cost of living. Same thing holds true for a few other places I could have moved.

Everything I own. In a 40 Ft Penske truck, with my car on a trailer. Had my dog in the truck with me.

I was looking at jobs. I had been in talks with a few prospective employers, but no offer letter. I made the decision to move regardless. About five weeks later (and a week before I was to depart for Tampa) I got my offer letter.

Estates at Tuscany Ridge. Tampa address, but really in Brandon. I hated brandon with a passion, but it was just me living in a 2 bed/2 bath with an attached 1 car garage (it was a two level apartment). It was brand new, and I was paying about $1175/mo

I had a little anxiety, but it was related to getting out of the military. I had actually moved everything I own to Tampa the weekend before I discharged. I left for Tampa about an hour after discharging and taking my uniform off for the last time. My awesome planning skills made for an easy move, and I was only moving from about six hours away. When I actually came to tampa for good, my apartment was put together, I had food in the fridge, had my cable/phone/internet hooked up. Making the previous weekend a "working weekend" then actually making the move to settle in the following week was an incredible idea and I am so happy I did it.

Outstanding nightlife, and the abundance of things to do where I came from. Savannah, GA didnt have a whole lot going on. Tampa has nightlife, great resturants, pro sports, concerts, theme parks, etc.

As a single, decent looking guy, naturally I started meeting women pretty quickly, but it was tough to make real "friends", especially guy friends. I was more concerned with getting a good friend base rather than dating or hooking-up. I made a good guy friend about four months after moving here. I have been here for over two years and we are still in touch, albeit not as often as we were when I lived in Brandon. I went through a few groups of friends that weren't my speed, they just happened to live at my apartment complex when I moved into Tampa proper last year. We got along, but I never felt close to them. Still no real good guy friends at that point. I also hung out with a coworker a bit. I ended up going to a party that this particular coworker threw at his apartment complex in st pete and met the most awesome group of people ever. They are all good looking working professionals, all within 3-4 year in age, incredibly fun to hang out with, and super down to earth. It is tough to meet people in Tampa, and I consider myself extremely fortunate. I can honestly say that I absolutely love hanging out with these people and they make me a better person. I dont care what city you move to or who you are, finding a group of friends like this is damn near impossible. I dont think my experience should be used as any sort of premise on what it is like to meet people in this town, but it is my story.

No. I was in the Army, Lived in three different places in the states.

I have had two jobs here. I got laid off from my last job in June, I was given a few weeks. Through extensive research and determination I found another job that day with a comparable salary and actually turned in my letter of resignation rather then wait out the period in which I would meet my demise on my last day of employment.

I am extremely unhappy with my career, and I will likely be throwing away my near six-figure income to attend school full-time in the spring, while gigging (I play guitar and sing) at local bars to offset my income. For those who say I am crazy, I say you cant put a price on your soul, and that is what I am selling every day when I walk into my office and sit here miserably. I am 28 and I may never land a job with a salary like this again, and I have accepted that. I got to where I am by 25, and it'll be gone just as quickly at the ripe old age of 28.

It is always hard leaving friends behind. I missed them very much, but I loved moving here. Especially my first move out of the Army. It was very liberating and It gave me a pretty significant sense of accomplishment. I actually forgot how good it felt until I started typing this very paragraph.

It was a great decision to move to Tampa. It was pretty awesome to be a single guy with no kids, making what I make. I really got to experience Tampa with no chains. Ate at the best resturants, partied at the best clubs. I am over all of that now, and I am ready to return to school. I will likely stay in the Tampa area as I am now a Florida resident and it is cheaper to attend school. I will spend the next 9 months or so saving pretty heavily. Will I enjoy Tampa as much on a budget? Maybe not- but I know i'll be better off here than many other places.

I have a lot of good things to say about Tampa. I encourage people to move here, but you really need to line up some work prospects before moving. I was at least in talks with two comanies before I pulled the trigger.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:52 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,211,966 times
I had reached the limit of my tolerance for the working conditions at my previous job and moved to Tampa to accept a new job. That was about 2 and a half years ago.

I don't have any kids but I brought everything else (car, furniture, pets, everything I owned)

Yes

I first lived in Hyde Park - great decision. I loved it there. I rented for about 7 months as I decided where I wanted to live permanenelty. I can't remember exactly what it cost, but I think rent was $1200/month (2 BR / 2.5 BA townhouse with dedicated carport).

Moderate. There's always some anxiety when moving to a new place, but since I was so miserable in my old job the anxiety was tempered considerably.

Not thatIcan think of off the top of my head. I only moved from the East Coast of Florida so it was not asmuch of an unknown as when I first moved down to Florida in the first place.

LOL...still working on it. I have casual acquaintenances but still nobody I would feel comofrtable when I was broken down on the Gandy Bridge at midnight, if you know what I mean. I've found making friends here to be harder than in any of the (many) previous places I have lived.

Yes. I now own a house in Carrollwood. I couldn't justify the prices in Hyde Park for owning.

Still at the job that brought me here.

I was very busy moving in, getting adjusted wit hthe job, etc. I started volunteering very quickly, which helped. Also, since I am only 3 hours away from where I previously lived I can see old friends from time to time.

Yes, on the whole, and yes.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM

64 posts, read 205,069 times
In response to your post,I will be moving soon,I can imagine what a nightmare it will be,espically with 2 big dogs and a cat.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:47 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
1. What made you decide to move? Weather, cost of living, bright futures program

2. What did you bring with you (kid(s), car, furniture, pet)? Brought 1 car, 2 dogs and 3 kids. Used ABF Upack filled up 14' lineal feet. Brought some furniture, but sold most everything off before moving. It's expensive to ship stuff from Alaska.

3. Did you have a job already when you moved? Yes, same employer

4. Where was the first place you lived? how much did it cost? Pinellas county, about 2 miles from the beach. 3br, pool + florida room $1300/mo

5. What was your anxiety level like when you moved here? Little to none, it was a fun adventure. Whatever happens is going to happen, why worry?

6. Were there differences that you found interesting or noteworthy? Winters are colder than I thought. Most people are very nice. Most homes are single story.

7. When did you start making friends? Been here since mid July. Still working on it.

8. Did you move from your first place? Still living in my first place.

10. How did you manage the first 3 months, being away from old friends, etc? My wife is my BFF and the kids keep us busy. Plus we have had a lot of visitors.

11. In retrospect was it a good decision and would you do it again? Yes and of course I would do it again

You can read my blog on here to read about our adventure of driving 5000 miles across a continent to get here.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:17 AM

62 posts, read 114,299 times
~Very great thread with minimal bitching. I'll be watching it closely as my family and I plan our own move to the area.~

Old 01-11-2011, 04:35 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymas View Post
As I read the posts of all those who are seeking advice regarding moving here, especially those who want to come without having secured a job; those who want to live near the beach; those who want to know about housing, schools, health care, transportation, etc...

Can anyone who made the transition post real life stories about making that tough decision to move and relate their experiences during those crucial first months to help those who are seeking to so the same. Some thoughts regarding some of the questions that you should answer;

5 months of winter and health of my Mom living in Florida
I edited quite a bit of belongings and bought a lot of new furniture upon arrival. My two four-year-old cats made the trip as well.
I did not have a job lined up and would not recommend duplicating that. Luckily I had substantial equity in my home otherwise I would not have moved without a job first.
I bought a 1150 sq foot 2/2 condo in East Lake Woodlands in Oldsmar for $62K
My anxiety level was on high alert. My Mom had a stroke a day two days before my closing/settlement day, followed by two days in a rental truck with freaked out cats in very bad holiday traffic on I-95.
Coming from Philadelphia (Filthadelphia) I found everything startling clean, including the air. People here in general are nicer and less tense
I haven't actually lived a day in my new home as I've been staying at my Mom's house in Seminole County with the cats since she's been in ICU for the past two weeks. However when moving my things into the condo in Oldsmar, two neighbors came by to introduce themselves.
No
Will start looking when things settle down
Email and Phones still work
Great decision, wish I had done it sooner. Life is too short to not have tried at something you dream of.
I am hoping that this thread will provide some real life experience of what to expect. Thanks in advance.
Good luck!

Old 01-11-2011, 06:37 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,279 times
i hope to fill this questionnaire soon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay