Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,563 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I just received a job offer (after working closing with the company for some time and expressing interest in joining them). I have been to the Tampa area a few times and spent some time (10-14 days) around Clearwater Beach, Tierra Verde, Pinellas Park (which is where the company is located), and Ybor city.

I am looking for advice on areas to search for an apartment. I would prefer to find a furnished apartment or living space to rent in the short term immediately after my relocation to the bay area, while I'm searching for more long term space and making sure the job will be a good fit.

I am looking to rent only, no current intentions to purchase a house/condo. I like the Ybor/Channelside area and being in a place that is highly walkable would be good but it would be a bonus that would need to be weighed against the downside of the worsened traffic that usually accompanies that.

I am single and in my mid 20's. Schools are not a concern as I have no children.

I have been reading that Hyde Park/SoHo and Palma Ciea are nice areas. I expect to have between $800-$1000 to spend on rent.

Can anyone give some general advice? If you were moving (across the country too) for a new position how would you handle the transition? Stay in a hotel while you frantically look for and subsequently sign a lease for an apartment? Or try to find a furnished place and pay a bit extra for a few months?

I have a nice car paid for and a decent amount saved up so the risks in this are pretty minimal compared to what they could be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 05:39 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,312,358 times
you need to move to SoHo/Hyde Park.

I am sorry, but there are SO many threads on this very topic, from people in your exact position that I have provided extensive advice to. Maybe I am getting lazy, but I just dont feel like doing it anymore. That said, I will tell you to check out the "Post Hyde Park" property (google post properties). Also check out places at the Madision @ SoHo. You will have to craigslist it and rent privately, but the location is prime.

I would be more than happy to address specific concerns and questions.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 AM

463 posts, read 1,053,916 times
This is what i have done when i moved: I stayed in the holet for first few weeks and at the same time looked for apartmetns. Do your research before hand in terms of what are you want to live in (SOHO, Hyde Park, Palm Ceia) and see what are prices for places you want to stay. Just before moving, or right after you arrive here, call and setup appointments to see the places you think will fit best for you. You can sign a lease in about a week or two, depending on condo/apartment rules and regulations. Google maps works great on finding places for rent based on area so you don't have to deal with zip codes and huge apartment listings.

Have fun moving

Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
Where is your employment? Be sure to check out traffic during rush hour if you do not want to have at least an hour drive.

There are extended stay hotels around where you can rent by week.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
He says it's going to be in Pinellas Park, which is great because that's a pretty central location. Hyde Park/Soho and the hip parts of St. Pete would be easy drives.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
He says it's going to be in Pinellas Park, which is great because that's a pretty central location. Hyde Park/Soho and the hip parts of St. Pete would be easy drives.
Correct, its right on the intersection of 49th St N and US19.

I am sorry to have repeated the question asked a lot craigm1841, I greatly appreciate the help and insight though. Like I said I have been reading many threads with similar topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay