Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 44,968 times

Advertisements

About how many black-owned businesses are there in Tampa? Are they successful and well established?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 11:40 PM

Does anyone have an idea? (In addition to hair salons and barber shops)...Is Tampa a good place for the black entrepreneur?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:55 AM

64 posts, read 233,493 times
I don't know why race would or should be an issue anywhere? Approximately 25% of the population in Tampa and St. Petersburg are black.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 AM

About how many of that 25% are business owners?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly19 View Post
About how many of that 25% are business owners?
Several of my local african american colleagues use the black pages. Maybe you can glean some info there...or am I suggesting something you already know about?

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-09-2007 at 10:26 AM..

Old 12-25-2007, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,008 times
I am also looking for a list of black owned businesses in the area do you know of any or any one else

Old 12-27-2007, 07:33 AM

192 posts, read 1,164,612 times
I feel that Tampa is yet another example of the prevailing open racial climate nationwide.......opportunity is abundant, regardless of one's race and there will always be ambitious people to capitalize on that opportunity. Although I don't know the percentage or number of black owned businesses you may want to do a search on the Tampa Tribune website as there are occasional articles dealing with the subject.

Personally I would never do business with an establishment based on the race of the owners......seems like that would run contrary to Dr. King's "content of character, rather than color of skin" axiom.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
Personally I would never do business with an establishment based on the race of the owners......seems like that would run contrary to Dr. King's "content of character, rather than color of skin" axiom.
http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gif (broken link)

Very well put.

I pretty much lost the thread once I read about the "black pages". I have a feel Dr. King wouldn't have advertised in something that self-segregated like that. I wonder if Tampa also has a white pages? Asian page? etc.

If you're a good business owner who sells a marketable product or service, and you treat your customers right, then it won't matter if you have polka-dots or green ears. If you don't have a marketable product or service, and/or you treat customers with disrespect, then you'll go under. Business-101.. no special colors needed.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,698,277 times
I agree...Race is not an issue here and people are not going to shun a business owner for their skin color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynorie View Post
I feel that Tampa is yet another example of the prevailing open racial climate nationwide.......opportunity is abundant, regardless of one's race and there will always be ambitious people to capitalize on that opportunity. Although I don't know the percentage or number of black owned businesses you may want to do a search on the Tampa Tribune website as there are occasional articles dealing with the subject.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,914 times
Why should race be an issue? Why is race an issue? Is it negative for a certain race to want to help their own people first? Is it ok for every race except the African race? We need to ask the right questions in the right context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: