Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:54 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Have you lived in NYC during the month of August?
I've lived in both,...NO COMPARISON. Yea, it gets hot up north, then a front comes through and its nicer, then hot..In Florida its the same every day .....HOT/ HUMID. No relief. Stop comparing them..its ridiculous.

Problem is there is a need to justify Florida's weather as so "great" when its far from great to anyone who hates being hot.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM

229 posts, read 573,828 times
I think of Florida often, although I can't afford to move there - can't find a job here, and have heard it's just as bad there.

Sometimes tho, the familiar IS more comfortable. I like our health care plans for those who are having financial difficulty and I like that my entire block got involved with the last snowstorm and all of us were out there shoveling/snowblowing each other out. Also, not sure how I do it, guess I don't mind cold so much, but my utilities run $70 month on the budget plan. BUT - I know my neighbors are much higher so who knows - I'm probably conservative. I did live in San Francisco for 3 years and until I learned how to dress for it, froze during the summer!

I've only visited Florida in the winter but I loved it there. Wish I could afford to move there - maybe when I finally retire (if I ever even find a job) in 5 years.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:04 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,875 times
chiming in from dc.

we didn't get hit *quite* as hard as new england, but the storm came out of nowhere. started with freezing rain during the wednesday evening commute and quickly, very quickly, turned into a thundersnowstorm. i've lived here all my life; never seen snow fall so fast. not even in the 2 blizzards we had last year. i was lucky in that i got home before the roads became treacherous. people were stranded all over the highways... mostly rear wheel drive mercs and bmws driven by morons with summer tires. the park service had to shut down the northbound lanes of the gw parkway yesterday morning because it looked "like a bmw dealership." there were reports of some people enduring 12 hour commutes to go 15 miles. my coworker had to abandon his car a mile from home and walk after a 6 hour commute.

all the while, my desktop weather widget taunts me with "tampa - 70 degrees"

be there soon.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:31 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryolson929 View Post
I think of Florida often, although I can't afford to move there - can't find a job here, and have heard it's just as bad there.

Sometimes tho, the familiar IS more comfortable. I like our health care plans for those who are having financial difficulty and I like that my entire block got involved with the last snowstorm and all of us were out there shoveling/snowblowing each other out. Also, not sure how I do it, guess I don't mind cold so much, but my utilities run $70 month on the budget plan. BUT - I know my neighbors are much higher so who knows - I'm probably conservative. I did live in San Francisco for 3 years and until I learned how to dress for it, froze during the summer!

I've only visited Florida in the winter but I loved it there. Wish I could afford to move there - maybe when I finally retire (if I ever even find a job) in 5 years.

HAhaha...well, EVERYBODY loves it there in the winter...!@

Don't fall into the trap..visit in summer. If you love the heat its for you..

Old 01-28-2011, 01:38 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Don't fall into the trap..visit in summer. If you love the heat its for you..
Very true! Although I get very tired of all the complaining about the heat (It's Florida. It's hot. Have you heard?), I can understand how it might happen that one only visits in the winter and doesn't understand the summer weather. So, Yes! visit in the summer first.

I love the heat, and the humidity. There is plenty of it in the summer, but from my perspective, it isn't May through October; the temps are only extreme for a few months.

And in reference to the OP: Yes the snow certainly does make me appreciate the weather here! I tend to whine about the cold, but there's really nothing to complain about compared to much of the rest of the country!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:39 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
all the while, my desktop weather widget taunts me with "tampa - 70 degrees"
We didn't decide to move to Tampa because of the weather, though it was certainly on the list. But recent weather events here in NYC are not causing me to question said decision.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
They dont have a clue
Up here in the Northeast its going to be some of the best skiing of the season this weekend.
Oh baby what a rush
They've invented this thing called an airplane to get to any ski resort I want to go to all around the USA. I don't need to live right next to the mountain. BTW, 75-degrees here today.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:51 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
??? so you are saying its worse in NY in August heatwise...? Baffling ....

Are you kidding? we go to florida in august to ESCAPe the pollution and heat of NYC. I'M NOT KIDDING

Old 01-28-2011, 01:53 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,949 times
Default We certainly do not sit inside in

Florida in the summer. We are at the beaches, at the pools and we even jog early in the mornings.

Try the 7 train, 6 train or a walk through 42nd Street in Manhattan in August. You will need an extra shirt when you arrive at your office.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Airplane travel is miserable these days, I rather walk to the nearest mountain, than get into a plane (and this coming from someone (me) who traveled the world BY plane! (of course before 9/11).....You can't pay me to "fly" anywhere now...they've become ridiculous, from the fees to the entire "experience"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
They've invented this thing called an airplane to get to any ski resort I want to go to all around the USA. I don't need to live right next to the mountain. BTW, 75-degrees here today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay