U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM

145 posts, read 485,046 times

Advertisements

Hi

Me and the wife will be going to the Tampa/Clearwater/St-Pete in April for a week, we are in our mid-forties.
We are mid-class people, I am on the frugal side I compare everything, my wife is more on the spending side. We like to have fun, love the water,eat drink a little, we are not big on museums or too many kids running around.
I have researched quite a bit but am looking for more ideas.

What we will do

-Go watch the devil rays 1 night (baseball)
-Go see Ybor city (Tampa Cuban section recommended at night by a co-worker. Is that worth it?)
-Go to the beach (DUH!) Any recommendations, i love snorkeling?
-Might go to the water park. (I know lots of kids but it's ok there.LOL)
-Will go to St-Pete's pier.

What else has to be done down there? We are driving from Atlanta for a week long stay.
I don't want to go to Busch gardens nor the Salvatore Dali museum.
Does anybody know of some good tropical/botanical gardens? (I love tropical plants)
Does anybody knows of a good snorkeling spot from the shore (Like st-Andrews park in Panama city)?
Is there an affordable boat ride of the bay or some scenic ride on the water?
Where can we have an affordable dinner (burger/pizza/tacos) while enjoying view on the water for dinner? (We will stay in Clearwater close to St-Pete).
Where can we enjoy a nice happy hour with drink specials and maybe oyster specials?
This one is weird I know:Where can I buy a case of raw oysters here? What is the hot seafood place that is not a restaurant. We both love raw oysters and I chuck them myself back at our rentals.We did it last year in Pensacola with a case purchased at Joe patti's (Oprah orders her seafood only here) and it was half the price for a case of oysters than here in Atlanta and so much fresher.

Anything else you can think of is great.

Patrick & Kris
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM

817 posts, read 2,022,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaindioux View Post
Hi

Me and the wife will be going to the Tampa/Clearwater/St-Pete in April for a week, we are in our mid-forties.
We are mid-class people, I am on the frugal side I compare everything, my wife is more on the spending side. We like to have fun, love the water,eat drink a little, we are not big on museums or too many kids running around.
I have researched quite a bit but am looking for more ideas.

What we will do

-Go watch the devil rays 1 night (baseball) Excellent idea
-Go see Ybor city (Tampa Cuban section recommended at night by a co-worker. Is that worth it?) Yes it is. Eat at the Columbia one night.
-Go to the beach (DUH!) Any recommendations, i love snorkeling? Snorkeling is not good around the Pinellas beaches, honestly. The best beach for hanging out is probably Clearwater, but St Pete Beach is good too.
-Might go to the water park. (I know lots of kids but it's ok there.LOL) It's fun! But lots of kids, yeah.
-Will go to St-Pete's pier.

What else has to be done down there? We are driving from Atlanta for a week long stay. In Tampa-I think the Lightning are still playing then, if you like hockey. You say you don't like to spend, but a trip to Bern's Steakhouse is a Tampa must-do. Keep in mind...it's a pricy place. If you go, get the tour and also go to the desert room. In Pinellas-before the Rays game, eat lunch at El Cap, and then have drinks at Ferg's (it's right outside the stadium). As for beaches, you might get the ferry over to Egmont Key...that's good for most of a day. Google it and make sure you bring a picnic basket. Generally speaking, you might also consider a dolphin-watching boat tour, either out of Tampa or out of Pinellas somewhere. Fishing in this area is really good, if you're in to that.

I don't want to go to Busch gardens nor the Salvatore Dali museum.
Does anybody know of some good tropical/botanical gardens? (I love tropical plants) Sunken Gardens in St Pete is pretty cool, as is the Bok Tower, about an hour east of Tampa in Lake Wales.

Does anybody knows of a good snorkeling spot from the shore (Like st-Andrews park in Panama city)? There really isn't much....MAYBE off the west side of Egmont Key, but it depends on how clear the water is.

Is there an affordable boat ride of the bay or some scenic ride on the water? Yes, LOTS of them. Do a Google search or just ask your hotel for help with that.

Where can we have an affordable dinner (burger/pizza/tacos) while enjoying view on the water for dinner? (We will stay in Clearwater close to St-Pete). Go to Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach.

Where can we enjoy a nice happy hour with drink specials and maybe oyster specials? The Hurricane. Also, Shephards in Clearwater, but it can be party-type place on weekends.

This one is weird I know:Where can I buy a case of raw oysters here? Publix..or a seafood market....do you want to take them back with you? That can be dangerous...

What is the hot seafood place that is not a restaurant. We both love raw oysters and I chuck them myself back at our rentals.We did it last year in Pensacola with a case purchased at Joe patti's (Oprah orders her seafood only here) and it was half the price for a case of oysters than here in Atlanta and so much fresher. Not 100% sure what you're asking with this...there are seafood markets around here...honestly, though...oysters are so cheap, I'd recommend just hitting a decent raw joint and doing beers and oysters there. I always thought Crabby Bill's was good, but I have friends in Reddington Beach that insist that a place called "Neighbors" has great oysters at low prices.

Anything else you can think of is great.

Lots of drinking and seafood.

Patrick & Kris
My answers in pink above.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Kevin

I really appreciate the long detailed answer, you answered most of the questions.
About the oysters that used to be my job to chuck them and order them for years so no worries I know what I am doing.
I just want to buy a case of oysters locally and chuck them at our rental and eat them all while right here, nothing is going back to Atlanta.

Thanks again

Patrick

Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 PM

494 posts, read 1,506,078 times
I agree they are cheap so we eat and drink and they come shelled on ice! Maybe try Wards Seafood Market for a case. Or any other seafood market. I'd check at Publix just to compare the price. I'd be a bloody mess. Costco has crazy cheap mussels when they have their seafood display if you like those. Get some shrimp and more beer. Seafood fest!

Clearwater isn't really a tropical zone. We're not far enough south. There are palms and palmettos tho!

Bernini's in Ybor is great food. If you go to the Columbia you might want to pony up the couple dollars to see one of the flamenco shows. Campy fun.

If you are on the Tampa side. People will argue about this, but I beleive the best cuban is at - Welcome to the West Tampa Sandwich Shop & Restaurant

Hot pressed cuban to go. Not a fancy place.

Might find something you like here -
Tickets & Events : Ruth Eckerd Hall

Or here
City of Largo, Florida | Shows & Tickets

Could always go fishing

Can drive from Clearwater Beach to the Don Cesar if you like the coastline and lots of small places to shop and eat.

Enjoy and bring sunscreen

Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM

Innertuber

Thanks a bunch it's all very helpfull and I check it all out online.

Regards

Patrick

Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM

63 posts, read 95,910 times
Clearwater :http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/4336313542/ (broken link)http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/5023201885/ (broken link)http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/4330752419/ (broken link) St. Pete:http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/4328449715/ (broken link) Largo:http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/4217555188/ (broken link)http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/4216790189/ (broken link)http://www.flickr.com/photos/30759108@N08/4216794717/ (broken link)

Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 PM

387 posts, read 982,197 times
Great seafood at Keegan's, PJ's Oyster Bar and Frenchy's.
We like the two Frenchy's locations at the North end of CWB.
Keegan's & (one of the) PJ's are in Indian Rocks Beach. There is another PJ's in SPB.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,491,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaindioux View Post
-Go watch the devil rays 1 night (baseball) <-- SURE
-Go see Ybor city (Tampa Cuban section recommended at night by a co-worker. Is that worth it?) <-- Not worth it
-Go to the beach (DUH!) Any recommendations, i love snorkeling? <-- SURE, Ft. Desoto Park
-Might go to the water park. (I know lots of kids but it's ok there.LOL) <-- SURE, it's called "Adventure Island"
-Will go to St-Pete's pier. <-- SURE
Does anybody know of some good tropical/botanical gardens? (I love tropical plants) <-- SURE "Sunken Gardens"
Does anybody knows of a good snorkeling spot from the shore (Like st-Andrews park in Panama city)? <-- Not really
Is there an affordable boat ride of the bay or some scenic ride on the water? <-- I am sure there is, dont know of any right off hand
Where can we have an affordable dinner (burger/pizza/tacos) while enjoying view on the water for dinner? (We will stay in Clearwater close to St-Pete). <-- Nothing really affordable. But I think it would be worth your while to visit a place called "Hurricanes" in Pass-A-Grille / St. Pete beach
See recommendations above

Old 03-31-2011, 12:47 PM

387 posts, read 709,945 times
We are going to be visiting the Tampa area for a week as well during the last week of April for Easter break. I was going to make a similar post. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 PM

GA jerk

Thanks I didn't know about these.

Regards

Patrick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or