Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:50 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,537,403 times

Advertisements

TAMPA --
A 20-year-old woman was killed in a crash on I-75 after investigators said she was distracted by a cell phone.

According to reports, Carisa Loraine Herald, of Trinity, was driving a Toyota 4-Runner on I-75 shortly before 2 p.m. Friday, just north of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, when she was distracted by a cell phone.

Fatal crash on I-75 blamed on cell phone distraction

--------------

Sad that a cell phone had to end her life and caused the passenger to be in serious condition.

When will people learn. Perhaps changing the law and getting tickets will make them learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,264,236 times
While I wish the driver didn't die, it's just another case of Social Darwinism at work. Any moron who drives and texts/talks on the phone--on a freeway, especially--deserves whatever they get. At least she didn't kill an innocent motorist. I hope the passenger survives.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,806,673 times
^^^
Yep!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:27 PM

463 posts, read 1,048,022 times
Tickets or laws won't do anything to reduce use of the cellphones in the car. What we need is better driver education system where people know that they are wielding 2 ton lethal weapon flying 70 miles an hour and having chat on the phone or writting text messages are not recommended activities at that time.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,842,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewas View Post
Tickets or laws won't do anything to reduce use of the cellphones in the car. What we need is better driver education system where people know that they are wielding 2 ton lethal weapon flying 70 miles an hour and having chat on the phone or writting text messages are not recommended activities at that time.
Hey! Now you are probably going to tell me that I shouldn't be eating a bowl of steaming soup and reading the newspaper (up in front of the windshield completely blocking the view) while driving on 19 in rush hour. How dare you tell me how to drive.

I actually saw this happen. You can't make this stuff up. I was also rear-ended by a guy who was reading a book.

While I agree that cell phones are dangerous while driving, people do stupid things with other objects in the car too. I thought they passed a law a few years ago about distractions while driving. I can't remember the wording of the law and can't look it up right now, but I would think that law would cover cell phones too.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM

463 posts, read 1,048,022 times
I've seen quite a few people reading and/or eating while driving. I think that states are trying to pass a law, but catching people talking or texting on cell phones is pretty hard so it will be one of those laws that are barely enforced.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
If lawmakers ever wanted to curtail cellphone use in moving vehicles i dont think it would be hard for technology to be installed in a car that would make cellphones inoperative when the engine is running.
Unfortunately the trend in the auto industry seems to be to add more distracting technology into cars rather than less,amazes me how any one has time to look at the road these days, along with cell phone distractions that these days are basically mini pc's
you have complex music systems,sat nav systems(GPS),satellite radios,OBD2 onboard diagnostic computers that will give you the ability to read dozens of engine operating parameters while moving,Various ipod systems.all whilst roaring along at 80+

Old 01-31-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
In Europe the ticket is $ 125.- for first offense and you hardly see any one on the phone....so it helps if you have to pay a high fee!

I usually don't like to ticket any one but if it saves lives....specially of the ones who didn't do anything, than I'm all for it.

Kids always think they can do anything....speeding, calling, texting so this will help them from being stupid...

Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I've seen quite a few people reading and/or eating while driving. I think that states are trying to pass a law, but catching people talking or texting on cell phones is pretty hard so it will be one of those laws that are barely enforced.
Easy....just hand over the phone and phone will show the time you were calling or txting!

That is used to figure out what happened during a crash.

Our family member is going through a court case and the lawyers from the ins. company are trying to find anything to blame guilt to my family members but they were not at fault. One of the questions was if they had a cell phone, used it and which carrier....they already tracked the records and at that time we didn't even had txt on the cell phone and no phone was used...so that theory fell apart for their trying to blame my family for what the other party did....

That is also how they knew what happened during the crash....

Old 01-31-2011, 03:32 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,842,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If lawmakers ever wanted to curtail cellphone use in moving vehicles i dont think it would be hard for technology to be installed in a car that would make cellphones inoperative when the engine is running.
It is funny that you said this because I had this exact argument with someone last week. I said that they should install something in the cars that make cell phones shut off if the engine is running. They were arguing about the possibility of needing to call 911 (maybe a crazy person was hiding in the back seat and now they are being kidnapped, or their accelerator is stuck and need to call for help). Anyways, I think they could have it to where your cell phone will only call out to 911 when it is running. No other calls or texts can be sent or received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay