Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 15,395 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on Dunedin vs. Seminole? We're a family of 4 with a 6 and 11 year old and we're considering a move. We'll be commuting to Tampa and St. Pete's.
We're looking for school quality, cultural/artistic "feel", safe community, friendly atmosphere. We'll be renting for now. Any exceptional neighborhoods to look at? Condo, townhouse or single family house is ok. It would be nice to be in an area with other families. Any info you can provide would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 PM

471 posts, read 1,660,787 times
Safety Harbor is another excellent area for families. About equal commutes to downtown Tampa and St. Pete.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:50 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafam View Post
Any thoughts on Dunedin vs. Seminole? We're a family of 4 with a 6 and 11 year old and we're considering a move. We'll be commuting to Tampa and St. Pete's.
We're looking for school quality, cultural/artistic "feel", safe community, friendly atmosphere. We'll be renting for now. Any exceptional neighborhoods to look at? Condo, townhouse or single family house is ok. It would be nice to be in an area with other families. Any info you can provide would be helpful.
Well, we lived in and my wife taught school in Seminole and my mother did both in the Dunedin area... From what I can tell both have very good schools by Florida standards. I'd say Dunedin has more of the cultural/artistic "feel". "Safe community" is difficult to gauge depending on where in Seminole you're looking (you are comparing a town with an entire county after all).... A lot of the better neighborhoods in Seminole seem to be people closer to retirement than those with families, but there are both around (and this is where I can't provide any more info on Dunedin since I didn't actually live there, sorry). In Seminole it really depends on how much you can spend as far as neighborhood are concerned. My favorite has always been The Highlands off of 434 as they did a wonderful job keeping the landscaping and it's beautiful with nature trails in the woods, a community pool and tennis courts etc. Word of caution there would be to find out what the plans are with the Winter Springs Golf Club as the course weaves through the neighborhood and was recently purchased and closed down..... If they have any intent on tearing it up and developing on the land steer clear because it will be a mess for a long time and destroy YET ANOTHER beautiful community in Florida.

Good Luck

Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
"Safe community" is difficult to gauge depending on where in Seminole you're looking (you are comparing a town with an entire county after all)....
I may be wrong, but thought the OP was referring to the town of Seminole in Pinellas County.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:50 AM

5 posts, read 15,395 times
Default Seminole, Pinellas County

Yes, we were looking for info about the town of Seminole in Pinellas County, not the county of Seminole.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 AM

Using the qualities you mentioned in your 1st post, I would rank
1. safety harbor
2.dunedin
3.seminole.
Seminole has some very nice areas, but it also has an "urban sprawl" look. Probably most affordable, if you are on a tight budget, though there is not as significant a difference in rental costs.
Dunedin has charm, artistic/cultural feel in the downtown waterfront area, and more scattered urban parts, as you go east towards 19.
Safety Harbor is smaller than Dunedin, and has all the qualities you mentioned.
It would be my first choice to look, although I would live in any of the 3 areas if I found the home I wanted.

edit to add: except that I wouldn't choose seminole if I had to commute to Tampa

Old 07-20-2007, 10:21 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,291,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafam View Post
Yes, we were looking for info about the town of Seminole in Pinellas County, not the county of Seminole.
Oh......... Well then bite me.....

Old 07-31-2007, 08:07 AM

84 posts, read 384,338 times
I would say Dunedin, but of course I am biased. Safety Harbor is pretty but kinda snobby, Dunedin is younger, hipper and more things to do. Great programs for kids, good schools, community center, and library. They are building a first class skateboard park, have a wonderful summer program at the art center and Honeymmon Island and Caladesi are ranked #1 in the nation right now for their beaches. Housing is still affordable and the downtown area is the best! At Christmas time they have an "Old Fashioned Christmas" with horse drawn carriage rides, wandering carolers and barber shop quartets. It has a real hometown feel but very hip at the same time. I sell real estate down here and I have lived all my life in Pinellas County. I have lived in Seminole and it always semed like a retirement village. Much older and more spread out. Just email me if you have any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay