Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 PM

36 posts, read 112,572 times

Advertisements

Thinking about moving to St. Pete. What kind of change can I expect, except weather can I expect (people, culture, cost, quality of life)? I'm 39 year old Airline pilot (Not a rich one) leaving Minnesota. Love sailing and St. Pete looks nice. It's either Tampa-St. Pete or San Diego.Any Minnesotans that have made the change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,704,961 times
I know this isn't what you'd like to hear, but check out other st pete posts! I have been to the area six times in the past year. Absolutely love it and will be interviewing for jobs in St Pete and Miami once my military enlistment is up. Beautiful place, lots to do, close enough to other major cities. Low pay, traffic and crime seems to be the only major negitives like most of FL. However, if I could swing San Diego, I would...Usually no humid, never too hot or cold plus a tremendous job market. I've had several people tell me in the Clearwater/Tampa/St Pete area tell me job down stands for: "Just Over Broke". Although I'll assume you can simply transfer to the airport. I have read a few articles stating San Diego is the most desirable place to live in the US.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 PM

36 posts, read 112,572 times
I think the cost of living has been a big issue between San Diego and St. Pete. I think that is one of things I will have to decide on.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 AM

17,546 posts, read 39,171,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypton727 View Post
Thinking about moving to St. Pete. What kind of change can I expect, except weather can I expect (people, culture, cost, quality of life)? I'm 39 year old Airline pilot (Not a rich one) leaving Minnesota. Love sailing and St. Pete looks nice. It's either Tampa-St. Pete or San Diego.Any Minnesotans that have made the change?
I would think St. Pete is better for sailing - we have the most beautiful beaches and water here. If you have a good job, your quality of life will be excellent in St. Pete/Tampa Bay. San Diego from what I have heard is a very nice city, but it is expensive. And while people are always touting the nice weather in Southern Cal., everyone forgets to mention the constant horrific wildfires they have out there every year.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 8,093 times
San Diego is safer. I lived in California for 4 years you can't afford a house there. People either love it or hate it. I have lived in West Palm Beach, Florida for a month now to help out my dad. In my time here every day I turn on the TV there is another shooting/stabbing or crazy person. I know there's crazy people everywhere but being here is different and the unemployment is going up. I lived here almost a month and can't find a job even minimum wage jobs. Times feel pretty hard out here in Fl. There's pros and cons to San Diego. I lived in Orange county. I can tell you about there. It's hard to come from out of state people don't socialize with people not from there. Many of my friends were people not from there. The culture is fast pace and people can become offensive mostly only talk. Like all places they have crazy people. I didn't here about many shootings like what I've heard about down the street from me in Florida. Most adults act like children In California. So keeping me job was not a issue for me it was easy. I always felt safe there compared with other states I lived in (Texas Oklahoma Idaho). I would say it was the safest. I lived in Huntington Beach and Mission Viejo, CA. I never had money problems but I rented rooms. From what I have seen in San Diego I felt they where a little bit more friendly than orange county. It is a little more layed back, down to earth kind of people. The biggest difference is the scenery. California has a lot more to offer. Scenic drives Mountains, ocean, rivers, lakes, sand dunes you can do just about anything you could think of. All the cities have different styles they are all unique. Both states I don't think I would live in right now. Right now I'm traveling to find a place to live. I think in Florida you might get laid off easier. On the other hand you could afford a house if you can keep your job. Don't worry about the fires they don't affect most people. You can smell the smoke and see the ashes from about 50 miles away. In California the earthquakes and tsunamis are what you should fear. I don't know much about Tampa to say its the same as West Palm Beach but I have driven through most of Florida it feels very slow like there's no jobs. The cities I have been through are pensacola, panama city, orlando, cape canaveral, cocoa beach, and now west palm beach.

Last edited by stephook79; 11-22-2008 at 12:34 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,704,961 times
I have friends who live in the town/city of st pete beach...I have also read lots of post on here, there is a lot of crime in st pete. The majority seems to be in the bad areas and drug related...The consensus seems to be the police is super undermanned and somewhat corrupt. I'd say search for "pete" and "crime" with in the tampa sub forum to see for yourself...

IDK, maybe take a look at vegas and arizona before you commit to anything...

Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,221,924 times
I spent two months in San Diego looking for work. The cost of living is VERY and the wages are very low. I also heard many people from Los Angeles who might consider San Diego always found it to be a huge drop in pay from what their current salaries, but the cost-of-living didn't go down.

San Diego IS a great city, and ideal in nearly every aspect, but sadly, it isn't affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay