Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM

8 posts, read 10,373 times

Advertisements

We rented in 7 Oaks for a year and didn't buy there simply b/c of the downward trend of housing prices in that neighborhood and logistics....commute to work and we were committed to private school b/c as you've heard the schools here simply are not what you might be used to. But, the community itself is filled with wonderful people. It is by far the friendliest community we've experienced in Tampa Bay (after 8 years of moving around). That said, be careful about buying there. Much of it was built and sold during the boom. Many, many short sales and foreclosures. I have several friends significantly underwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishbert View Post
We rented in 7 Oaks for a year and didn't buy there simply b/c of the downward trend of housing prices in that neighborhood and logistics....commute to work and we were committed to private school b/c as you've heard the schools here simply are not what you might be used to. But, the community itself is filled with wonderful people. It is by far the friendliest community we've experienced in Tampa Bay (after 8 years of moving around). That said, be careful about buying there. Much of it was built and sold during the boom. Many, many short sales and foreclosures. I have several friends significantly underwater.
Don't just focus on people underwater...because almost everybody's value all over the world is less than it was a few years ago.

Only the ones walking away are the so called "losers" the rest of us that isn't selling will get their values back. And on top of that the so called loss is only on paper...unless you sell you don't lose anything...but pay less property taxes.
Look at the housing market over the years and some people are already getting their values up!

Only losers look at the glass half empty.

I own a home in Seven Oaks, have no mortgage and I'm not complaining and see what a beautiful community it is.

There are students of schools around here that have gone to very good Universities, so to say how bad the schools are is also exaggerated.
My kids have been in private schools in Florida and in public schools and I can easily say that the public schools were way better since they have to proof themself while the private schools can do whatever they want with their grades!

To me the most weird thing is that you kept renting in a market that was going down...I guess your credit score wasn't too good or you just haven't got the money...otherwise you would have been smart and bought a good deal and there are plenty of them out there.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,842 times
To say that public schools are better than private schools is ridiculous. Maybe if you send your kids to a really small school at a church that's the case, but you can't compare schools like Academy at the Lakes and Saddlebrook to Pasco county public schools. Many of my friends had 3.5+ GPAs in high school and yet they struggled through college or even flunked out. Homework was rare and the review for your exam was often times the exact same as the exam itself. We also watched movies all the time in high school. It was like daycare for 16 year olds. I graduated in the top 5% of my class and can honestly say I didn't have to work very hard for it.

The top private high schools in Tampa Bay have 100% of students going to college, compared to half of that for public schools. I have heard that elementary schools are much better, but I only attended high school in Wesley Chapel so I cannot comment.

Last edited by newyorker24; 04-05-2011 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
To say that public schools are better than private schools is ridiculous. Maybe if you send your kids to a really small school at a church that's the case, but you can't compare schools like Academy at the Lakes and Saddlebrook to Pasco county public schools. Many of my friends had 3.5+ GPAs in high school and yet they struggled through college or even flunked out. Homework was rare and the review for your exam was often times the exact same as the exam itself. We also watched movies all the time in high school. It was like daycare for 16 year olds. I graduated in the top 5% of my class and can honestly say I didn't have to work very hard for it.

The top private high schools in Tampa Bay have 100% of students going to college, compared to half of that for public schools. I have heard that elementary schools are much better, but I only attended high school in Wesley Chapel so I cannot comment.
To say they are worse is also not true. I have friends on Long Island who are very wealthy and have their kids in the public schools because the schools are very good.

My kids were in Bradenton in big Private schools and the Public schools in Wesley Chapel have been proven to be better.
My eldest graduated at 15 and the younghest could graduate next year but will only be a Junior at that time. He has successfully passed AP courses and Dual Enrollment while being in Public school.

The private school gave him very high grades but when we moved and put him in a private school he was far behind.

For all the money they charge in Private schools, I have myself enough proof that if the student is willing to go the extra mile they can do just as good or even better and they are prepared to face evn more than being protected in a private school, for later in life!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
To say they are worse is also not true. I have friends on Long Island who are very wealthy and have their kids in the public schools because the schools are very good.

My kids were in Bradenton in big Private schools and the Public schools in Wesley Chapel have been proven to be better.
My eldest graduated at 15 and the younghest could graduate next year but will only be a Junior at that time. He has successfully passed AP courses and Dual Enrollment while being in Public school.

The private school gave him very high grades but when we moved and put him in a private school he was far behind.

For all the money they charge in Private schools, I have myself enough proof that if the student is willing to go the extra mile they can do just as good or even better and they are prepared to face evn more than being protected in a private school, for later in life!
AP classes were a joke at WC High. Getting an A in the class is easy. The truth comes when the student takes the official exam. Most of my peers failed them. The ones that passed (very few), like me, bought review books and studied on their own. It wasn't the teaching that led us to pass. Sometimes the AP and honors students actually sat in the same class, did the same homework and took the same tests.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 PM

And as far as your friends in NY- the public schools there are 100 times better than the ones here as far as quality of education. My brother went to a public school there that is consistently ranked among the best public schools in the country.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker24 View Post
AP classes were a joke at WC High. Getting an A in the class is easy. The truth comes when the student takes the official exam. Most of my peers failed them. The ones that passed (very few), like me, bought review books and studied on their own. It wasn't the teaching that led us to pass. Sometimes the AP and honors students actually sat in the same class, did the same homework and took the same tests.
What if a freshmen passed the AP test with a high score...are you still saying the same thing...

Stop comparing everybody while you have no clue about other people. You make it look like Florida is such a stupid place.

You rented for 7 years in Seven oaks, must be a reason you couldn't buy, because there were great deals out there. For example a home build in 2005, 2070 sqft for $ 199 K or 1954 sqft for $ 154 K...

I guess you had not too good credit otherwise you wouldn't have thrown away seven years of rent instead of owning a place...

Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
What if a freshmen passed the AP test with a high score...are you still saying the same thing...

Stop comparing everybody while you have no clue about other people. You make it look like Florida is such a stupid place.

You rented for 7 years in Seven oaks, must be a reason you couldn't buy, because there were great deals out there. For example a home build in 2005, 2070 sqft for $ 199 K or 1954 sqft for $ 154 K...

I guess you had not too good credit otherwise you wouldn't have thrown away seven years of rent instead of owning a place...
You have no idea what you are talking about. I have never rented in Seven Oaks. I have owned my house in WC for 4 years, and my credit/income are great.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,092 times
I regret ever moving to Tampa. I took my child out of one of the best schools systems in the country and placed in the loving care of the Pasco school system. What a mistake! a mistake that my child will have to live with. Now that Governor Snot wants to cut funding even further to an education system that is living on the the financial edge the future victims of the Pasco school system will suffer even further.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk Eastman View Post
I regret ever moving to Tampa. I took my child out of one of the best schools systems in the country and placed in the loving care of the Pasco school system. What a mistake! a mistake that my child will have to live with. Now that Governor Snot wants to cut funding even further to an education system that is living on the the financial edge the future victims of the Pasco school system will suffer even further.
Don't blame any one else other then you and your child...blaming others is not helping and if your kid is a good student it will do well any where.

History has proved it!

On top of that a few of the smartest and welthiest people havened even finished College and some have been refused at the best schools.

This POTUS went to the best schools and it doesn't seem he learned much..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay