U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:54 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,228,770 times

Advertisements

My daughter is a freshman in Freedom High School. She is not allowed to take AP classes this year, just honors classes. Next year she is allowed to add one, maybe two AP classes in either math or science only. The honors classes are super easy. I hear the AP classes are much more demanding. I am looking into the possibility of not enrolling her in AP classes, but to have her do dual enrollment instead. Land O Lakes High School has the IB program, if he/she qualifies. That is a rigorous program. My daughter is also taking high school credit foreign language with Florida Virtual School. Florida's virtual school is one of the top virtual schools, so I hear.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:37 PM

26,824 posts, read 41,603,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
My daughter is a freshman in Freedom High School. She is not allowed to take AP classes this year, just honors classes. Next year she is allowed to add one, maybe two AP classes in either math or science only. The honors classes are super easy. I hear the AP classes are much more demanding. I am looking into the possibility of not enrolling her in AP classes, but to have her do dual enrollment instead. Land O Lakes High School has the IB program, if he/she qualifies. That is a rigorous program. My daughter is also taking high school credit foreign language with Florida Virtual School. Florida's virtual school is one of the top virtual schools, so I hear.
My son was accepted in the IB program but we declined for several reasons. Most important the traveling which is every morning 1 hour and in the afternoon another hour to get home...second AP is in many school higher valued than IB...

He has taken some FL. Virtual School courses and some were harder than others. We had a good experience with them during Summer break. Last Summer he did Dual Enrollment as a Freshmen. Also a good experience, but AP is more challenging.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 PM

19 posts, read 88,376 times
I went to Plant High School when the AP courses were just starting out. I also was not too challenged by the honors classes. In my junior year I took one AP course, AP Chemistry. The class was quite demanding, but I was able to earn the college credit. I remember that other students were taking 5 or 6 AP courses a semester to bump up their GPA. However, some became overwhelmed with the course load and in the end did not end up passing the tests. I would recommend the AP courses only if your daughter is really interested in the subject. I then completed my senior year of high school at HCC. The credits applied towards my high school degree and my college degree. Best of all, it was free!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:31 AM

26,824 posts, read 41,603,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyTPA View Post
I went to Plant High School when the AP courses were just starting out. I also was not too challenged by the honors classes. In my junior year I took one AP course, AP Chemistry. The class was quite demanding, but I was able to earn the college credit. I remember that other students were taking 5 or 6 AP courses a semester to bump up their GPA. However, some became overwhelmed with the course load and in the end did not end up passing the tests. I would recommend the AP courses only if your daughter is really interested in the subject. I then completed my senior year of high school at HCC. The credits applied towards my high school degree and my college degree. Best of all, it was free!
Our sons school is recommending only to take AP and/or Dual Enrollment if the student is serious and has a good work additude otherwise it can be very bad for later in College since the grade will count and be seen forever...

Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 AM

769 posts, read 1,885,033 times
IB is much better than AP, for the record. Students that graduate with an IB Diploma can get into Ivy League and other prestigious universities much easier than a student from a regular high school around here, even if they took AP courses. I was in IB for a year before we moved to Pasco county and the courses were much harder than AP. In a lot of courses we completed an entire textbook/an entire year's worth of education in one semester. I spent on average 3-4 hours a day doing homework, working on projects, and studying. In addition, many IB courses qualify students to sit for the AP exam in addition to the IB exam if they choose to. Any student that has the chance to go to an IB high school would be silly to turn it down unless they really feel they are not up to the challenge. It is a great experience and students have the opportunity to really study with the brightest kids around. I've heard some people say they want their kids to have a life in high school, but I assure you the IB students were for the most part very active in school sports and other activities.

Now that I've cleared that up- AP classes are great IF the student is going to be interested enough to study for the AP exam, and they have a teacher that is going to help them. Getting an A in an AP class does not do you any good if you do not pass the AP exam. And keep in mind that while the passing score for an AP exam is supposedly a 3, for many subjects the universities are requiring a 4 or even a 5, since it is up to them to decide what score they will accept for college credit. Between my AP classes (I passed all my exams) and 3 CLEP tests I took I was able to skip an entire year of college, and therefore save a lot of money. I ended up with 36 college credits before I even started.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,843 times
We are relocating to Wesley Chapel in June/July timeframe - I have a 9 year old as well. My concern are the high schools. I know this sounds a bit crazy but I really don't want to have to jump around and make her make friends over and over again. I have heard very bad things about the high schools (bomb plots, more serious than most with drug activity and gangs/sexual harrassment). Any insight?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 AM

17 posts, read 66,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Floridian View Post
The schools in Florida do not measure up to the Northeast, because we follow the Northeast and the employees are paid very low. At the same time, the Midwest and texas are chasing Florida and trying to model Florida's education. I am a teacher who has taught in both places and I can tell you the Midwest is way behind Florida and Florida is behind the Northeast. So do not sell Florida short. For the amount of tax money spent, Florida is getting an outstanding deal on education.
I completely agree with you about FL schools. My husband & I are from the northeast and moved to Florida for college. We stayed there for many years, got married and had a child who attended 2 years of school in FL. Then got transferred to California. Coming from the northeast we thought FL's school system was bad until we moved to the west. Now we're trying to move back to FL because CA's schools are so far behind FL (at least a year) and you pay so much in taxes. FL is a great state because no state income tax but good schools, second to the northeast.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:20 PM

77 posts, read 127,000 times
I am hoping the Florida schools are more challenging for my daughter. We currently live in Arizona but my daughter is almost entire year ahead of herself. She is a third grader that reads on a fourth grade level but I feel her current teacher is not challenging her at all. I feel like she is holding her back. My daughter is looking forward to going to a new school

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM

42 posts, read 112,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbye NJ View Post
We are looking to move from NJ to Seven Oaks, Wesley Chapel. We have two children ages 7 and 9 and would like to know a little about the schools... are the staff and kids friendly to newcomers, how are the classes? We would also like to know if the people in the development are friendly too. We have been there and love it but it was summer time and could not go into the school to peek around. Thanks for your input.
OMG, all I can say is this might be the biggest mistake of your life. I grew up in NJ and moved to Pasco County FL when I was 30. Lived there for 10 years. Biggest mistake of my life. I'm now in TN. If I had it to do over, I would have moved here from NJ. If it's not too late, trust me, SKIP FL. SO many people have done what I did and realized their mistake and they move back north to TN or NC. Hope it's not too late for you to benefit from the mistakes we've made. Good luck to you.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:44 PM

42 posts, read 112,860 times
oh, and about the schools in Pasco County... you don't want to send your children to them. They are no where near the quality of NJ schools and there is an awful drug problem. Avoid the area like the plague if you have children!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or