Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 21,997 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any discounts for the 2011 Fun pass to Busch Gardens. The cheapest I can find is $75 with AAA. Looking for anything better. Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 07:26 PM

26 posts, read 83,810 times
Did you or your spouse graduate from USF? USF Alumni get a discount but I am not sure how much.

This page (scroll down to the entertainment section) gives more info:

http://usfalumni.org/s/861/internal.aspx?sid=861&gid=1&pgid=331 (http://http://usfalumni.org/s/861/internal.aspx?sid=861&gid=1&pgid=331 - broken link)

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Busch Garden Tickets.

Thank you for your response, however, I did not graduate from USF> I currently am working for Americorp in Tampa and was hoping there was some discount for this type of service, but so far can not seem to find one. With the small stipend we are paid, purchasing the tickets is not easy.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:42 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabeck1 View Post
Does anyone know of any discounts for the 2011 Fun pass to Busch Gardens. The cheapest I can find is $75 with AAA. Looking for anything better. Thanks a bunch
Not much of a discount, eh? It's $78 from Busch Gardens directly. It sounds like maybe you aren't an official Florida resident, in which case you won't qualify for the fun pass anyway and would have to buy a season pass instead. I am pretty sure that they have payment programs available for the season pass if you can afford a small amount each month rather than having to come up with it all at once. I don't think that option is available for the fun pass but you could check if you have the required proof of residency.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 PM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times
We received fun passes from someone as a Christmas gift.

The very first thing I remember seeing after driving into the parking lot was $13 for parking. Ugh. I think the normal season pass includes parking?

Anyway, sort of the unfortunate thing about having a pass (especially the fun pass) is that you don't just go on a whim-or at least we don't- because there are still costs involved. It starts with $13 for parking. While you're not forced to buy food inside, most people/families will end up spending money on at least one meal. Maybe you can take a picnic lunch in but I sort of doubt it. You could always go back to your car and eat I guess.

Don't get me wrong, $50 for parking+food beats $300 for tickets+parking+food each time you go. I imagine the fun passes are *very* lucrative for the park. They know FL residents probably wouldn't pay to go more than once in a calendar year anyway. So, let them come back all year for free, and rake in the parking and concession revenue.

At least for $13 parking, they appear to have decent security- lots of guys up in watch towers. Makes me wonder if it is preventative or if they've had problems in the past.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM

I actually am a resident of Florida, just became one yesterday. Just searching for other discounts than AAA

Old 02-09-2011, 04:51 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
We received fun passes from someone as a Christmas gift.

The very first thing I remember seeing after driving into the parking lot was $13 for parking. Ugh. I think the normal season pass includes parking?

Anyway, sort of the unfortunate thing about having a pass (especially the fun pass) is that you don't just go on a whim-or at least we don't- because there are still costs involved. It starts with $13 for parking. While you're not forced to buy food inside, most people/families will end up spending money on at least one meal. Maybe you can take a picnic lunch in but I sort of doubt it. You could always go back to your car and eat I guess.
I know exactly what you mean. We got Fun Passes for Christmas 2009. I thought that it would be great and we would go several times to really take advantage of them. Unfortunately it is so expensive after we are there, that we could only go once the entire year. Walking that much, I needed a lot of drinks. Besides that, we had to eat lunch there (or waste an hour of the day walking all of the way through the park, to the shuttle, out to your car, eating the food we brought and then going all of the way back in. After parking, food and almost constant drinks (went in July), we spent around $100 (probably more) not counting the tickets that were bought for us. We couldn't find another chance to go that year because we couldn't afford the food. I was really disappointed that I couldn't go more.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Mel's hotdogs ain't what it used to be, but it is still relatively cheap eats walking distance away. There's also an IHOP right across the street. Although for me, going to Busch Gardens without eating at the Stanleyville Smokehouse is unthinkable.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM

428 posts, read 1,242,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Mel's hotdogs ain't what it used to be, but it is still relatively cheap eats walking distance away. There's also an IHOP right across the street. Although for me, going to Busch Gardens without eating at the Stanleyville Smokehouse is unthinkable.
Yes, we ate at the Smokehouse when we went last month. Definitely not your average theme park food! We split a sampler- it was a *huge* plate of food. We also bought a couple of the refillable cups, hopefully those will pay off on subsequent visits.

In regard to the OP's question, I check my company's employee discount site and they had discounts for every other major theme park except Busch Gardens. That, combined with the small AAA you saw, combined with the fact that they're treating a single day ticket as an all year pass, makes me think they're probably not inclined to offer deeper discounts to anyone right now.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM

371 posts, read 1,190,596 times
If you get the FUN CARD, make sure to upgrade one person in your family to the next regular level of ticket so that it includes the parking and the food/shopping discount. The upgrade will pay for itself very quickly with just the free parking alone!!! Upgrade whoever is the most likely to go the most or most likely to be the one taking the kids, (In our family it was me, the mom).

We figured that one out way back when BG offered the Bronze pass (basically a 'fun card'). We have been platinum pass holders since that option started which has paid off for us visiting Tampa and Seaworld so often.

Last edited by It's Cin!; 02-10-2011 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: spelling 101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay