U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,205,103 times

Advertisements

ALL the restaurants feature: "New York Style Cheescake".....or Italian stuff...really? every restaurant serves brownies? why? there are a million other deserts to be made! is the an explanation for this? we have "New York Pizza" , "NY cheescake..." as if we cater to all the NYers coming down! ridiculous!

Are there any restaurants around that dont serve that damn brownie and cheesecake? are these restaurants buy the deserts at Publix? Marchello's pizza is buying their Tiramisu from Publix....terrible!

300+ million ppl living here on two deserts! and if anyone wants something different we're told to move elswhere!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM

463 posts, read 949,397 times
Someone needs a slice of cheesecake. I kid! I kid!

Try a meat market, there are plenty in the area that offer a variety of desserts. There's also a lovely bakery in Largo called Frida's Cafe and their desserts are simply sinful.

Wedding Cakes Catering Bakery Cafe - Frida's Cafe And Bakery - fridascafe.com

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM

2,602 posts, read 7,505,532 times
There are a couple of German places scattered around. I know there's one on 4th Street north of 30th Avenue North in St. Pete. I don't know if Schiller's in South Tampa does desserts. I think there's an Austrian place in West Tampa on Tampa Bay at Habana (that one might be gone, I don't know). A lot of the Cuban places should have flan.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:25 PM

451 posts, read 847,466 times
The Cuban Sandwich is native to Tampa.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:56 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,437,728 times
What are you looking for (foodwise) that's original to Tampa?

Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM

hm....weird, since the first word belongs to a completely different country! "Cuba"!

I will check those out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
The Cuban Sandwich is native to Tampa.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:07 PM

I am looking for diversity, not the same food under different names, every restaurant we've been so far and I'm thinking Bern' is the same, they all offer the same deserts!...

Considering this is part of Florida, i'm thinking that we should be able to have all sorts of exotic deserts here all over and definitely more than just 3 choices on the menu!

Publix has more deserts, all crappy infested with that white icing.... Whole Foods has the best at their bakery counter...at least there's a choice......but when I go out and spend money at some restaurant I definitely want something different and not the same damn overpriced lava brownie I can make myself much better than them at home! or freakin cheesecake! get a cook book they have a million deserts... I almost want to mail them one for reference!

How is it that with so many cook books and recipes around, ALL these restaurants stick with 3 deserts on the menu? we should have at least 10 choices, and all different, not different flavor cheesecake! They have Cheesecake Factory, THAT is where I expect Cheesecake! But not at Outback, Chilli's, Bern's and everywhere else in between!

I have to drive around like an idiot to find a good bakery and end up empty handed because nothing's fluffy and light...croissants are so heavy that I can poke a whole in my windshield with them! everything is made with so much flour it becomes inedible!

Very disappointing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
What are you looking for (foodwise) that's original to Tampa?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
hm....weird, since the first word belongs to a completely different country! "Cuba"!
Just like French fries are from France, right?

The name comes from the fact that the sandwich was a common lunch item for Cubans who worked in the cigar factories.

On that note, try some deviled crabs while you're at it.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,637,341 times
Actually, I don't think Tampa even has cigars anymore. The last one made here was the Hav-a-Tampa which was on par with Swisher Sweets and Black & Milds - not something you'd read about in Cigar Afficianado, know what I mean? But I'm pretty sure that's gone now. We do have the Thompson Cigar distribution center here, though. They ship all over the country and have all the best cigars.

I'm not sure that it's native to here, but Tampa is known for the Cuban Sandwich. Order it "pressed, all the way"

We also have the Taco Bus, which is better than it sounds. I'm so excited he just put one over on my side of the bridge in St. Pete! It's BYOB.

http://tampatacobus.com/

Old 02-09-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Actually, I don't think Tampa even has cigars anymore. The last one made here was the Hav-a-Tampa which was on par with Swisher Sweets and Black & Milds - not something you'd read about in Cigar Afficianado, know what I mean? But I'm pretty sure that's gone now. We do have the Thompson Cigar distribution center here, though. They ship all over the country and have all the best cigars.

I'm not sure that it's native to here, but Tampa is known for the Cuban Sandwich. Order it "pressed, all the way"
J.C. Newman over on Columbus is the last factory. That's what years of aggressive taxing and a declining customer base do to a place. Hav-a-Tampas were outsourced to Puerto Rico a year or two ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or