Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 06:07 PM

7 posts, read 18,402 times

Advertisements

I am trying to find any information I can about the murder of Faith Rinker, daughter of Joanne Rinker between the years of 1977 and 1984. I have done all types of searches and cannot come up with anything. I am sure that it must be in the archives of the Saint Petersburg Times/Independent. I do know her body was found at or around Round Lake which I believe is on the north side of the city.

She had a brother named John Rinker and a younger sister named Laurie Rinker.

One of her girlfriends was named Dianne (Diane) Choate.

The Rinkers lived just west of 28th street No and I think just past either 22nd or 30th avenue.

Thank anyone in advance who can help with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:24 PM

4,996 posts, read 7,192,098 times
Go to a public library that has the St. Pete Times on microfiche. The St. Pete library has it going waaay back. Or call the Times and explain what you want-their web site will drive you nuts trying to navigate it.

Good luck, Wally.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 18,402 times
My niece is living in St Pete and is involved in this search with me. I am sure that either my niece or her friend on the St Pete Police department will come up with some details. Actually it sort of was a shock to know that he did not have instant access to the records of this murder, and he is the head of homicide at the SPPD

I was hoping to find someone I knew back then who might know something to make the search go quicker. I don't have money and live in Dundee, so my hands are tied when it comes to doing much running around, and being 67 years old isn't helping much either.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,846,990 times
There is no way I can remember this case (born in 1979), but this sounds really familiar. I watch a lot of the Investigation Discovery (I.D) channel and remember seeing a show on there about a murder in this area around that time frame. She was found in a wooded area near a lake. The name sounds very familiar too. I searched their site to see if they had anything, but couldn't find anything. It could be someone else completely, but everything you said seems too familiar. Now I am curious if it is the same person.

It may be worth calling I.D. and seeing if the show I remember was about her. They may have it archived. I can't remember the name of the show though so I am sorry about that.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 AM

428 posts, read 1,240,681 times
Google has archived many of the old papers like you'd find on microfiche at the local library- e.g.

Google News Archive Search

They are searchable, but the search is spotty because I'm sure they used OCR which isn't perfect on stuff like this. "Faith Rinker" didn't give any hits but you might want to do a broader search like "murder", or the other names you mentioned, and manually look though the results.

This can definitely work- I was able to find info on a questionable death that occurred in our house back in the 50's. Note that I think you have to do this search from the google news archive page- I don't think the content is exposed to the main google.com search engine.

The two main papers back then were The Evening Independent and the St. Pete Times.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:59 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,284,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Google has archived many of the old papers like you'd find on microfiche at the local library- e.g.

Google News Archive Search

They are searchable, but the search is spotty because I'm sure they used OCR which isn't perfect on stuff like this. "Faith Rinker" didn't give any hits but you might want to do a broader search like "murder", or the other names you mentioned, and manually look though the results.

This can definitely work- I was able to find info on a questionable death that occurred in our house back in the 50's. Note that I think you have to do this search from the google news archive page- I don't think the content is exposed to the main google.com search engine.

The two main papers back then were The Evening Independent and the St. Pete Times.
Definitely try this. I've used the archive to find information on a lot of Bay Area businesses. They changed the interface a few months ago which made searching a little more difficult, but it's still doable. All of the Evening Independent issues should be free, but they'll try and charge you for some St. Pete Times issues, but sometimes you'll be able to get around that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay