Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 AM

5 posts, read 5,674 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I've just been notified I'll be heading to MacDill for a 6-month stay. I've been looking at extended stay apartments off base and could use a little advice. From what I've read here I'd like to stay N of Gandy. I'd like to have maybe a 20 - 30 min commute tops, be in a safe neighborhood within walking distance of a few restuarants. I not looking for the party scene, just looking for a quiet, safe place for six months. My family will visit and I'd like (the feeling) to think they'll be safe. Based on what's available to me (corporate housing) I found the following apartments:

Camden Westshore
Marriott Execustay - Mainsail South
Grand Key

Possibles:
Casa Bella
Camden Bayside/Preserve
Hyde Park Walk
Post Hyde Park

I'm leaning towards Mainsail South or Grand Key based on the central location and short commute to the base. Casa Bella/Camden Bayside/Preserve area doesn't look like it's the best and Hyde Park Walk/Post look too far. Plus I've read the area has a large college presence and isn't that quiet at night (just what I read).

Appreciate any information or suggestions. I've read tons of great things about the area and look forward to visiting.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Using Gandy as a dividing line can be a little flaky, since there are good parts on both sides. Casa Bella and Camden Bayside are very close to the base and seem to be well-maintained. Unfortunately, when it comes to walking to restaurants and stuff, you'd probably be limited to the Hyde Park locations, which are still pretty close to MacDill. The Hyde Park area will have some college kids, but it in no way resembles a college town-type atmosphere.

Mainsail and Grand Key are in good locations, too. If you go with Grand Key, you'll be across the street from Britton Plaza, which is a large shopping center with a Publix, Burlington, and a bunch of other stores. As far as restaurants go, you have a Taco Bell, Arby's, Chinese buffet, Estella's Mexican Restaurant (great food), Pizza Hut, and a Cuban café. There's a bus stop in front of Grand Key and you can take a bus to MacDill, which is a mile or two directly south.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Using Gandy as a dividing line can be a little flaky, since there are good parts on both sides. Casa Bella and Camden Bayside are very close to the base and seem to be well-maintained. Unfortunately, when it comes to walking to restaurants and stuff, you'd probably be limited to the Hyde Park locations, which are still pretty close to MacDill. The Hyde Park area will have some college kids, but it in no way resembles a college town-type atmosphere.

Mainsail and Grand Key are in good locations, too. If you go with Grand Key, you'll be across the street from Britton Plaza, which is a large shopping center with a Publix, Burlington, and a bunch of other stores. As far as restaurants go, you have a Taco Bell, Arby's, Chinese buffet, Estella's Mexican Restaurant (great food), Pizza Hut, and a Cuban café. There's a bus stop in front of Grand Key and you can take a bus to MacDill, which is a mile or two directly south.

Thanks for the info. Any idea how far the commute is from the Hyde Park area?

Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Not including the complexes already in Hyde Park, the rest of them are about fifteen to twenty minutes away in normal traffic and usually less at night.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
From what I understand and the little I've seen, there's very little north of Gandy.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:15 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
From what I understand and the little I've seen, there's very little north of Gandy.
Huh? Most everything is North of Gandy (NOG).. South of Gandy is a very small area which includes MacDill. There are some areas near Robinson HS that are sketchy but it isn't all bad.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Huh? Most everything is North of Gandy (NOG).. South of Gandy is a very small area which includes MacDill. There are some areas near Robinson HS that are sketchy but it isn't all bad.
Exactly! There are some cute houses, newer townhouses and a few condos in the Interbay area (zip 33611) that are in good locations and very convenient to downtown, MacDill AFB and Hillsborough Bay. I'd suggest when researching South of Gandy to look East of Dale Mabry Hwy.

OP: If it were me, I'd avoid Grand Key, Hyde Park Walk, and Camden.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Exactly! There are some cute houses, newer townhouses and a few condos in the Interbay area (zip 33611) that are in good locations and very convenient to downtown, MacDill AFB and Hillsborough Bay. I'd suggest when researching South of Gandy to look East of Dale Mabry Hwy.

OP: If it were me, I'd avoid Grand Key, Hyde Park Walk, and Camden.

Can you give specifics why to avoid Grand Key and Hyde Park Walk (location, condition of condo)? Grand Key was a finalist!

I've looked everywhere for something east of Dale Mabry/south of Gandy and can't find anything. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the info....

Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
That's what I meant...

Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the info. I've been in touch with a corporate housing company and they recommend Madison SOHO and Grand Central in Hyde Park and Harbour Island Walk, Harbour City Homes and the Ventanna. It also states these Harbour Island properties are only a 20 - 30 min drive to MacDill and the Hyde Park area is 10 - 15 min from base.

Can anyone confirm this...it looks much further on the map.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay