Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 06:09 PM

23 posts, read 85,797 times

Advertisements

I am all the above, and looking to move to the Tampa area from suburbs of Detroit. I grew up in a middle class african american neighborhood and currently reside in a very upper class (mostly) caucasion neighborhood. I am looking to move a middle - upper middle class african american or at least racially diverse neighborhood in florida. Are there any suggestions? And no I am not interested in a debate as to why racial diversity is important to me. I simply want to know if professional middle to upper middle class racially diverse (with afircan american presence) exists anywhere near Tampa or anywhere in Florida.

P.S. I am in the education field and will be pursuing a Masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,806,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahshidak View Post
I am all the above, and looking to move to the Tampa area from suburbs of Detroit. I grew up in a middle class african american neighborhood and currently reside in a very upper class (mostly) caucasion neighborhood. I am looking to move a middle - upper middle class african american or at least racially diverse neighborhood in florida. Are there any suggestions? And no I am not interested in a debate as to why racial diversity is important to me. I simply want to know if professional middle to upper middle class racially diverse (with afircan american presence) exists anywhere near Tampa or anywhere in Florida.

P.S. I am in the education field and will be pursuing a Masters.
I am not sure about Tampa, but you WILL Find it in South Florida, specifially Broward County in the city of Miramar. Its a black plurality city that, for the most part, is middle class(and upper middle class in the west half), but is not dominated by ethnic group. Its a melting pot of African Americans, west Indians, Latins from various countries, whites, and a booming Asian Indian and Chinese population. The west half of the city is mostly upper middle class and quite well educated, and VERY VERY mixed.

Id say West Miramar overall has a median income of around 70k and going higher and is something like 40 percent hispanic, 25 percent black, 20 percent white, 15 percent asian. Crime rate is low, and school districts are good to excellent.

West Pembroke Pines is also another option that is even more upscale, and is something like 35 percent white,35 percent hispanic, 30 percent black, 10 percent asian. Also low crime. Citys to the south are mostly poor black areas, to the north are a little whiter but still quite mixed and very nice.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:27 AM

47 posts, read 164,690 times
I'm in suburb of Detroit too! I just left Tampa and thinking of moving to the New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area. This is a suburb of Tampa, and appears to be like our Bloomfield area (just more apartments and apartment communities). However, me and my husband loved it. New schools, newer area, lower percentage of african americans but still diverse. I can agree with st fla truth bearer--Miramar is nice. We actually considered it. Very upscale and expensive though. Most homes we seen were $500,000+ (brand new). Because affordability and where we worship (church)...is an important factor for us, we chose Tampa. You may want to look at how much the schools pay for teaching in both areas. To me, Tampa has alot of ghetto areas that reminds you of Detroit, yet suburbs of Fort Lauderdale (Coral Springs, Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Weston, are all upper class & more expensive) but nice....

I have family in surburbs of Fort Lauderdale and have also researched Port St. Lucie, Miramar, and Tampa--if you want to know more..send me a private message...This thread could cause you to be disqualified from posting.

Good Luck!

Old 07-22-2007, 04:31 PM

36 posts, read 219,049 times
Have you considered Temple Terrace, Town and Country, or Carrollwood. All very nice areas with a diverse group of people. Be careful tho, the areas listed are very close to some rundown areas.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:18 PM

23 posts, read 86,135 times
I would agree, Carrollwood or Town and Country might be areas in Tampa for you to consider. I moved from Carrollwood to Wesley Chapel (I don't know who believes Wesley Chapel is diverse, I've lived there 2 years and I have seen little to no diversity!). It is a nice place though. I also second amc11890 to be careful because the CW/TNC areas range from really nice to really iffy on a block to block basis. My vote would go for Carrollwood - Good Luck!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:06 AM

39 posts, read 174,370 times
Hi rahshidak, You should look into Lakewood Estates in South Saint Petersburg (33712 & 33705). It is a golf course community that is very racially diverse and professional (teachers, politicians, business leaders, etc...)

Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,630,605 times
new tampa is where i live and it is very racially diverse. i have neighbors of all shades in my subdivision and have heard a few different languages (mostly spanish). it is very refreshing and everyone seems to get along fine.

Last edited by nicolepsy; 11-22-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay