Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times

Advertisements

You can kayak at Ft. DeSoto. You don't have to go by the waves. They have a boat launch that is more calm. I have been to Ft. DeSoto several times and have never seen any sharks or sting rays. Though I would still do the sting ray shuffle while in the water, just in case. I also have never been stung by jelly fish. You can also rent a bike there. May is when the summer storms start. We get some awesome afternoon storms.

My daughters teacher (an avid kayaker) took some students and parents kayaking. It was up by Homosassa. Check out their website: Riversport Kayaks - Kayak and Canoe Sales, Rentals, and Tours :: Home. When you are finished kayaking, there are several good restaurants within a short walking distance. Not sure how many manatees you will see because they usually go inland when the weather is cold and back out as the water warms up.

Have fune!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:15 AM

494 posts, read 1,675,407 times
To get from Desoto to Weeki is a pretty long haul. Homosassa is about a half hour further. Both are beautiful rivers to kayak. Usually Weeki is far less crowded during the week, but since it's winter things are a bit slower. The Hillsborough River would be a good bit closer - it would seem nice if you got in well north of Tampa Bay.

I don't know much about it but the Manatee River looks a lot closer.

Weeki is really nice tho. If you have your own kayaks you can put in at the Mermaid attraction and get out at the Upper Deck. Drop off at Weeki Wachee, drive and park your car at the boat ramp next to upper deck, cab back and hop in. Call cab in advance as it isn't NYC. Weeki Wachee is a water park attraction with mermaids. Fun if you have never been there. It's not like Disney, just a couple slides and a little beach. The spring water is cold and clear. The river is good for paddling and snorkling. The last half you might have some pontoon boats or other watercraft. Nothing over 20 feet usually as the turns are tight and current can send you into the sticks. Parts of it seem very woodsy and secluded. You can hop out and swim most everywhere but the sandy bottoms are easier to walk on than the muck stuff. You can see it. Sometimes the water has a bit of color from all the tanic acid. No big deal. BayPort Inn is a popular place to eat mainly for fried seafood and beer.

Could also hit up Ollie's Oysters in Hudson for oysters and beer. Not fancy but good.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:26 AM

6 posts, read 19,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I cannot address your specific questions regarding fishing and boating, but Ft. DeSoto is spectacular. It is truly one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. Very clean and lots of shells. We were there last July and there were thousands of sand dollars. Make sure you check out the pier. The dolphins swim right up and you can see schools or Jack and Sardines. We checked out the camping areas while there and they are very shaded. There is a small toll to get on the island so make sure you have change available. Have fun! I can't wait to go back.
Milleka - Thanks for the positive review. By any chance would you happen to know what they were catching off of the pier? We were planning on checking out Skyview but if the action is just as good off the Pier @ Ft De Soto, may be tempted to save some $

Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juankim View Post
Milleka - Thanks for the positive review. By any chance would you happen to know what they were catching off of the pier? We were planning on checking out Skyview but if the action is just as good off the Pier @ Ft De Soto, may be tempted to save some $
I know they do a lot of shark fishing off the pier at night. From what I can tell, the sharks they were catching were around 2-3 feet long. People have good luck with Amber Jack as well it seems. When we were there, we mostly saw people casting throw-nets for sardines to sell as bait. I'm not a salt-water fishing expert by any stretch. Someone who frequents the area would be able to tell you more.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM

315 posts, read 1,006,067 times
would there be a chance for us to catch a glimpse or two of the Manatees either around Ft De Soto or other nearby rivers, bays?

Yes on the manatees. There is a restaurant on the way to Ft Desoto on the causeway. I sorry can't remember the name. We were there eating and about four manatees were swimming right out back.
Also kayaking is great there. The water right around the campground is not very deep and the dolphins if in the area will swim right by you. ( this happened a couple months ago when I was there. It was so awesome) You can brings dogs but only on part of the campground so make sure you reserve the right space if you have them. Also they do not allow open campfires but I think they rent fire pits. The beaches there are just beautiful and if you want to fish make sure you have a license. The piers are nice to fish off of. Also they have bike trails so if you have bikes they are plenty of places to ride. Have fun when you get there. ps- The campground does not have a pool so if you want to cool off its off to the beach you go.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 19,218 times
Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions!

We now have a different dilemma - how to squeeze all these activities in a week?!

Speaking of activities, where are good snorkeling spots in/near Ft De Soto to take my boys (youngest will be 3.5 yrs by summer)? Some place w/ calm/no waves but with sufficient underwater scenery (either foliage or fish).

Thanks again!

John

Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
If you are driving down it would make more sense to stop on the way to see the Manatees at Weeki Wachi rather than drive several hours each way once you are at the park. They are usually at the Tampa Electric until mid April, once the water warms up they leave though. I would ask a Park Ranger if they can refer you to a place close by like Little Manatee River.

Jelly fish are in the gulf during the last of summer. String rays are usually close to shore during mating season. Of course, they can be found anytime but if it is bad they will post signs in the park. Just do the 'shuffle' if there are not a lot of ppl around.

There really isn't much to see as far as snorkeling in the Gulf unless you go far off shore.

Here is a link to fishing.. on TBO.com Looks like Redfish and Trout in the area
Sports - from TBO.com Blogs

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
If you are camping at Fordt Desoto watch out for the racoons. They are very cleaver and can get into nearly any cooler at the drop of a hat. Not sure if you are tent camping or RV, but don't leave any food in your tent. I finally got that pont across to my scouts one night when a racoon chewed through their tent to get to some snacks they claimed to not have in their tent. Agree on the Weeki Wacheei area for manatee and good kayaking. My in-laws live up that way and for our wedding in December several people rented kayaks for a day trip and saw a doze manatees.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:36 PM

5 posts, read 26,838 times
I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from enjoying the beauty of our Florida beaches at all. I can tell you though, from my personal experiences, the flags for dangerous marine life are always flying every time I have ever been to Pinellas County beaches. That said, I have seen Jelly Fish in early spring, I have seen visitors (not tourists) stung from them, and I have seen numerous sting rays up close. Go and enjoy the beach but do not let anyone tell you that it is completely safe, I wish it was... but now I have learned and wont go past my knees into the water. Thats what swimming pools are for!!!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
If you are camping at Fordt Desoto watch out for the racoons. They are very cleaver and can get into nearly any cooler at the drop of a hat. Not sure if you are tent camping or RV, but don't leave any food in your tent. I finally got that pont across to my scouts one night when a racoon chewed through their tent to get to some snacks they claimed to not have in their tent. Agree on the Weeki Wacheei area for manatee and good kayaking. My in-laws live up that way and for our wedding in December several people rented kayaks for a day trip and saw a doze manatees.
You're right about the raccoons-they're as big as dogs and aren't afraid of anything. As far as stingrays and jellyfish-don't let them ruin your vacation. Pay attention, shuffle your feet or talk to a life guard if one's available and you should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay