Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,198 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a place not to far away; for my 2- 14 year old granddaughters and a 9 year old girl also. Looking for a hangout for them; someplace they can pick the music. Or they can just chill on a sofa or beanbag chairs and watch movies. Try maybe cooking treats; something. They are bored. They dont care to go to the local movies, did that last night. Dont care to go the the bowling alley, they think it is for old people. Dont care to go the the skating rink; too many Little Kids (5 to 10 age) there. No local skate park around here that I know of. So what are we to do, anyone have any suggeations? Thanks, Granny In Need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,214 times
My 15 year old likes to go to Citrus Park Mall. You can bring them there. They have a play area for the little ones, while the older ones walk around. Give them a few dollars to buy something. Then take them out for lunch/dinner in one of there restaurants. You may even try Westshore Plaza Mall. They have all kinds of restaurants like the Cheesecake Factory.

There is an ice skating rink in Brandon off of 60. They also have a lazer tag game upstairs. For rollerskating, there are a few places. One on Busch, near Busch Gardens. Another one called Skate America (I think that is the name). There are a few video games for them to play. You probably will have to go out skating with the 2 year old.

Any neighborhood kids close to the 9 and 14 year old? Maybe take someone with you, so that they can meet someone new.

Go for a hike at Brooker Creek Preserve http://www.friendsofbrookercreekpreserve.org/ . They also have a very nice nature center. Lettuce Lake Park http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/parks/parkservices/regionalsites.cfm?facilitydetailid=524 (broken link) is nice for a short easy hike along a large lake. They have a nice playground. Bring a picnic and some park games like ball, freesbee, etc. Lettuce Lake Park also has a nature center, but no where as nice as Brooker Creek

Everyone may enjoy Lowry Park Zoo http://www.lowryparkzoo.com/, Florida Aquarium http://www.flaquarium.org/ (they have a water splash area that the 2 and 9 year old would enjoy on a warm day), MOSI http://www.mosi.org/. MOSI has an IMAX theatre the two older ones would enjoy while you and the 2 year old are in the Kids In Charge area. Then they can explore the rest of MOSI.

There is one day left for the Florida State Fair. Also bring money and lots of it.

You're in a tough spot to have such a large gap between the youngest and oldest. What do they do for fun at home? Are they on winter break from up north? Maybe take them to the beach. The water may be too cold to go in, but just to walk the beach looking for seashells in the warm temps may be enjoyable. Bring a pail and shovel for the little one. If you do go to the beach (Clearwater), the 9 yand 14 year old may enjoy a parasailing experience. Bring your money though. It isn't cheap.

Hope this helps. Give us some idea of what they do like, maybe we can help you more.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:03 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,337 times
We NEVER went to bowling alleys before moving here....but now we go to Splitsville in Channelside on occasion....teen daughter loves it there. They have pretty good pizza/sushi/etc that you can dine on as you bowl which makes it fun/different. http://www.splitsvillelanes.com/

Big Cat Rescue is near Citrus Park Mall and is a fun place to visit and see the tigers/lions/etc that have been rescued from around the country. http://www.bigcatrescue.org/site/

Have you heard of You Do the Dishes Kids can paint their own pottery, great creative activity that you can participate with as well. I am sure there are other ones besides this one around town as well.

Ybor has Gameworks (large arcade) that teens enjoy.On Saturday mornings there is also a fun market in Ybor that the girls may enjoy.

Also, Caledisi Island can be reached via ferry and its a fun place (we kayak there but here is a link for the ferry). Lots of birds, shells to be collected and much more natural than most beaches: Welcome to Florida State Parks

Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,565 times
Smile Sabrina's kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlaverneb4 View Post
I am looking for a place not to far away; for my 2- 14 year old granddaughters and a 9 year old girl also. Looking for a hangout for them; someplace they can pick the music. Or they can just chill on a sofa or beanbag chairs and watch movies. Try maybe cooking treats; something. They are bored. They dont care to go to the local movies, did that last night. Dont care to go the the bowling alley, they think it is for old people. Dont care to go the the skating rink; too many Little Kids (5 to 10 age) there. No local skate park around here that I know of. So what are we to do, anyone have any suggeations? Thanks, Granny In Need
Hi, I have a suggestion: Your grandchildren is welcome to meet up with my 4 children ages are 14 and 7 yr. old boys/11 and 9 yr. old girls we enjoy watching movies,playing the wii,going to the beach,going out to lunch,going to the aqariums etc.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,076 times
The library, it meets all of your criteria, specifically Largo Library, they have a teen section with bean bags in corner areas, very nicely put together.

Largo also has a lovely skate park, which I noticed you mentioned, so does Palm Harbor/Oldsmar.

What area are you looking for specifically?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay