Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 AM

249 posts, read 440,523 times

Advertisements

After reading so many posts.... all with opposite opinions, I decide to ask my question too .

I know now that I want to move close to downtown St-Pete, but what does that means . Looking for a single family home.

I want LIGHT AND SUN (and no, I am not afraid of heat), for what I have seen so far, I don't like the houses in Old NE (too dark... and maybe snobbish). I want to be close to life, I don't mean a mall, but... those who love SP know what I mean.

I like the Crescent Lake area, but there is almost none. So what area could you recommend me? Safe of course.

I just read the "renting in SP" post, that I find positive and helpful... but I want to buy. It is more permanent.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Allwyna, I can't help you because I live in Sarasota and only visit St. Pete. But I will be interested in the responses, because we think it's possible someday we could move there, (not any time soon, however) and I like the same things as you. I do not like those old houses in the NE, not my style.

Maybe Ferret will weigh in, he seems to know the area very well.

Good luck!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
I know now that I want to move close to downtown St-Pete, but what does that means . Looking for a single family home. ... I like the Crescent Lake area, but there is almost none. So what area could you recommend me? Safe of course.
How close is close enough? And does Crescent Lake feel safe enough to you? Does anywhere not feel safe enough to you?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:00 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Allwyna, I can't help you because I live in Sarasota and only visit St. Pete. But I will be interested in the responses, because we think it's possible someday we could move there, (not any time soon, however) and I like the same things as you. I do not like those old houses in the NE, not my style.

Maybe Ferret will weigh in, he seems to know the area very well.

Good luck!
Hah, you spoil me, Gypsy. I don't live in St. Pete (Tampa here), but I like to think that I'm pretty familiar with the South County area.

There seemed to be some ambiguity about Downtown St. Pete's boundaries. It's pretty much bordered by Tampa Bay, 375, 175, and 275. Crescent Lake is just north of 375, one of the city's first streetcar suburbs. It's a relatively safe neighborhood, but you still have to use good judgment at night and not be shocked if you car gets broken into. 4th and 9th Street are the major north-south corridors in that area and a bunch of restaurants and places have opened on 4th Street around Sunken Gardens; it's nothing like the gritty 4th Street of only ten years ago, but some grit remains.

St. Pete is known as the Sunshine City, and it seems to deserve it. I've been in overcast Tampa before, only to drive over the bridge and be in the sunshine. St. Pete will get just as humid as Tampa over the summer, but if you can deal with that, you'll be fine.

It seems like Crescent Lake's streets aren't as tree-covered as Old Northeast's, which might be something you like if you like lots of sunshine.

Crescent Lake is a really convenient area. 4th and 9th Streets aren't all that bad with traffic and 22nd Avenue will take you to the other side of the city, as well as to the mall. Hopping onto 275 is a breeze and you're only about twenty blocks or less from the Central Avenue corridor.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:26 PM

Thanks Ferret

Of course, common sense is always something to go with... and I want a garage. I am from Paris, still have an apartment there.... in a safe area, where there are some harmless homeless people, but my building (we don't say condo there) is next to the police station , also bars, supermarkets, the Seine river, all walking distance. I love this car street in SP, that can take me to the beach.

I love 4th St, I would like to get an opinion of just N of Central. I have seen a house in Highland Ct. very ugly, although a few step from the lake. I know here, nothing is walking distance, but I am tiiiiiired of driving, crossing those bridges all the time is not something I can consider. And in any case, I don't like Tampa (where I have been now for a year). Also, what about the other side of 275? There is some kind of life there, but I went to the Morean museum a few days ago, it was a desert.

As long as you have not lived in Central Africa and Cancun, you don't know what humidity is . Right now, my skin, nails and hair are very dry. There is no mildew in my closets. Toronto was way to dry for my health... and my youth

Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
Thanks Ferret

Of course, common sense is always something to go with... and I want a garage. I am from Paris, still have an apartment there.... in a safe area, where there are some harmless homeless people, but my building (we don't say condo there) is next to the police station , also bars, supermarkets, the Seine river, all walking distance. I love this car street in SP, that can take me to the beach.

I love 4th St, I would like to get an opinion of just N of Central. I have seen a house in Highland Ct. very ugly, although a few step from the lake. I know here, nothing is walking distance, but I am tiiiiiired of driving, crossing those bridges all the time is not something I can consider. And in any case, I don't like Tampa (where I have been now for a year). Also, what about the other side of 275? There is some kind of life there, but I went to the Morean museum a few days ago, it was a desert.

As long as you have not lived in Central Africa and Cancun, you don't know what humidity is . Right now, my skin, nails and hair are very dry. There is no mildew in my closets. Toronto was way to dry for my health... and my youth
I've never driven down Highland Court itself, but the area is fine and Street View shows a pretty nice street, albeit a narrow one. Tampa isn't for everyone, but I'm glad you're giving another (and equally fine) Bay Area city a try. Crescent Lake isn't the most walkable neighborhood in the country, but it's not bad for Florida. Even the grocery stores aren't a far drive, only about ten to twenty blocks depending on where you live in Crescent Lake. West of 275 is a pretty big area. You have everything from the Kenwood neighborhood to rows of 50s-60s tract homes. Central Avenue west of 275 is part of the Grand Central District, which used to be a big shopping mecca in the pre-mall days. There are a few bars and restaurants over there, but it's also noticeably seedier than the portion of Central in Downtown St. Pete. I don't feel uncomfortable there by any means, but stuff can always happen.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 AM

The picture of this house and the Google-video of the street are VERY flattering, nothing close to the reality. This part of Highland Ct is just a back alley with an ugly apartment building across the street (a few feet). And I am wondering where they have found such large front yard...

Don't get me wrong, Ferret, I love the area. Not only I want to give it a second try... but I am jumping from rental to purchase . My community is also nice (near Carrollwood), and not too far from the supermarkets (important at least twice a week), but I love the ambiance of St-Pete, the small boutiques and cafes... after 5pm! a lot of things that can't be explained. Parisian atmosphere?

I just need to find the right realtor who will have the same tastes. And a house in my budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay