Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 02:43 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca in Tampa View Post
Good luck w/that REDWINGSFAN! You are moving to one of the most cultural diverse states in the country!

[ (less minorities - which will ultimately make the schools and area better). As for this comment do you not realize out of the 50 states we are like 48 for having the worst schools?

I honestly have never heard of ANYONE moving anywhere close to miami or Tampa w/that in mind. I think you will be highly dissappointed if that is all your decision was based on.

To me trash is trash no matter what the color, I am sure living in Pasco county you will realize this quite quickly!

on a better note, I do think LOL is a nice area to raise a family, It has a starbucks, some good restaurants, a super target close by and soon a mall. Therefore it should be a pleasant place to live.

Rebecca... you have misintrepreted much of what I have said. No major city is free of minorities. I grew up in Michigan, which is highly segregated (which is nice, but the weather stinks). I moved to Las Vegas 9 years ago. This place, and especially the area of town I live in, is mostly hispanic, much of whom are illegals.

I want to live near a major city but want the highest white population I can find. According to the data from THIS website, LOL is over 85 percent white. Sounds good to me...better than where I'm at now.

As for the schools - you should do some research. Florida schools are ranked 36 out of 50 states. Nevada is ranked 49 out of 50...I'll take 36 over 49 hands down. You can see this by research put out yearly by Morgan Quinto
press <http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm>.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Default Pasco-Wesley Chapel

I have heard Seven Oaks is a great place to live, and it is near lots of shopping. Lexington Oaks is also nice, and Quail Hollow area.

Pricing on homes are now down, and I think in LOL and Wesley Chapel you may find a great home under 300,000.
I don't know much about Trinity.
judy

Old 08-29-2006, 03:33 PM

34 posts, read 35,201 times
RedWingsFan, I have two cousins that live in Michigan and they have that same mentality. You'll find that when you live down here, this is not Detroit where you have all the blacks on one side of 8 mile rd. and all the whites on the other side. We are a mixed integrated environment, and I honestly don't fear anyone around here except people that are just stupid (and we have a lot of those, regardless of color).

I guarantee you will have a totally different perspective on that issue when you come to Florida and see tons of white trash in Pasco County. This county is filled with weirdos, drugs, etc. If you want, I could tell you a few stories. This morning I drove down to SR-54 and I saw some old guy all tatted up with his shirt off push a shopping cart right into traffic and get the horn beeped on him. You see all kinds of weirdos here in Pasco County and 95% of them are white. If you want to live in a "white" area, then relocate to where I live in New Port Richey, Pasco County. Small area, 18,000 people, close to the water, and lots of white trash. Land o' Lakes is full of white trash. They have the jail down there I believe. And the education here is very poor. Many days we see kids tossing around the football on our block on Wednesday afternoons or playing with skateboards on Monday mornings. A lot of people don't go to school here and a lot of them get days off all the time. I read in the Suncoast News the other day (a West-Pasco local paper) that an educator from Hudson saying that they didn't value the education here and he thought it was absolutely horrible. But I understand why our kids need to play football because a high-school education in Florida won't get you a good job, but if you are a football player, you could be starting like Drew Weatherford, who is from Land O' Lakes by the way.

So just remember, if you are coming with the mindset of Michigan, it's very different here and your viewpoints will change. Especially with the white trash element.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Once again I tell you all that I've been living in a "culturally diverse" area for over 9 years now (Las Vegas). The area I live in is mostly minorities. I don't want that and nor do most white people. If they did they wouldn't all be moving to the suburbs. The vast majority of white people want their kids going to the "whitest" schools possible. It may not be politically correct to say it but it's the truth. The statistics show that the more minorities a school has the worse it is.

And... I love how the minorities stayed south of 8 mile road in Michigan. I lived where there were NO minorities and went to schools where I didn't have not one minority teacher or classmate. It was wonderful, I just didn't realize how wonderful until I lived in a "culturally diverse" neighbhorhood for so long. Eeeks... that made me really appreciate the segregation. I know it's impossible to find a place all white near a major city (unless I go back to the Detroit area). But I want the whitest I can find. Many people like to live around their kind, I'm one of them. Thank goodness we live in America and can all pick and choose where we live!

I have no problem with people wanting to live in culturally diverse areas. I see people post on it often. They also shouldn't have a problem with me wanting the least culturally diverse area I can find. We all have our preferences and I prefer to be around people of the same race as I am. I'm not alone on this or people would stop moving to the suburbs.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:17 PM

34 posts, read 35,201 times
Pasco is mostly white, but I think what you are looking for is the panhandle. Because it's 2006, and most people down here in Florida are not afraid of someone because they are a different color. But if that's your way of life, then you should go to the panhandle near Pensacola area.

I also think for your information that you should visit Tallahassee to understand that there are areas where all races get along just fine. That area is full of all races and many of the minorities are educated and go to FSU or FAMU.

That may be true in Michigan, but down here the minorities are not really a problem. We have just as many white child molesters on our Bay 9 News than we do black car jackers.

Just for your information, Michigan is a backwards state that's full of segregation and their state has fallen apart (they are always near the top of the list for unemployment). You might want to try a winning Florida mindset instead of the one that messed up Michigan and forced minorities into ghetto districts where they couldn't get any jobs and created crime havens that ruined their state. It is 2006. Good luck in your search for a "majority" population and I really hope you enjoy it (but don't be shocked when you see "white" street gangs in Pasco County or white child molesters).

Old 08-29-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm not looking to pick up on any liberal mindset, thanks anyway. :-)

I realize that many races CAN get along in areas. But I want to live in a suburb of predominatly white. There's nothing wrong with wanting to live around people of my own race. Most people feel the same way but are just too afraid to say it because of the politically correct crap. I'm not afraid to speak my mind and say it. Furthermore, I'm not afraid of them, I just don't agree with the way most of them live.

Michigan having high unemployment has nothing to do with the segregation there, it has everything to do with the outsourcing of the jobs to other countries.

Old 09-26-2006, 07:51 PM

I last commented in this thread before I arrived here. I've now been here for a week and a half and most of my time has been spent outdoors checking out the surrounding areas. My take (coming from being a Michigan native and having just lived in Las Vegas the last 9 years) is this:

New Port Richey - nice, city feel to it, lots of places/businesses around

Land O' Lakes - country feel, like being way out in the country - there are cows and sheep around, and not much shopping at all. I have found one decent shopping center, lots of old run down businesses, nice houses and communities (where all these people are going for shopping/entertainment I have no idea). This is where I chose to live (having never been to any of the areas before) and it's very much a white population, which is a big plus.

Wesley Chapel - lower class just a tad. There are more minorities there, crowded streets, some nice homes

Tampa - I've spent hours driving around Tampa and most of what I have seen is not good, it's dumpy! All major cities have a dumpy ghetto but the one here seems quite large!

Zephyrhills - way out in the boonies and filled with trailor parks!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Default new tampa, wesley chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtofl View Post
Looking relocate to Pasco County , I have a wife and 2 young children looking to spend around 350,000. Whats the best place to be?
check out seven oaks, it seems nice, off bruce b downs.

you need also to check out cd fees etc. Pasco has now lower tax rates.

Home prices are down, so you are in the driver seat.

LOL is also nice, however I live in Wesley Chapel.

good luck
judy

Old 09-27-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca in Tampa View Post
I think since driving time is not an issue, you would more than likely get more for your money in Wesley chapel/LOL area! Trinity housing prices are higher. I think you will get more for your money in Wesley chapel/LOL! There are some nice housing developments up there.
You could also check out the Quail Hollow area, which is of 75 and b downs. it still is somewhat country. I would not rush into paying 350000 for a house in this time. You would be over paying in a down market.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:01 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpooch View Post
there is plenty of shopping (Super Target, Wal-Mart, Bealls, Publix, Marshalls, J.C. Penney and more coming...and restaurants (including NY/NJ style pizza).

So much so, that when family comes down to visit from NJ they ask for Pizzamania! That place is a godsend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay