Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:54 AM

436 posts, read 1,121,078 times

Advertisements

Looks like the final decision was made: No high-speed rail for Florida; Court rules for Scott, feds move to give money to someone else - St. Petersburg Times

What a shame. Florida had a real opportunity to start joining the rest of the modern world in regards to transportation. I guess the money will go to another state with a more intelligent governor and government officials.

I was hoping to be able to ride the rail from Tampa to Orlando someday.

I'm scared for the state while Rick Scott is governor. Hopefully this will be his one and only term.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:59 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbillyx View Post

I'm scared for the state while Rick Scott is governor. Hopefully this will be his one and only term.
He can do an awful lot of damage in the next four years. I hope it's not irreparable.

He's an official fascist ruler now, with the full support of the courts behind him. He has offered no explanation for his actions and will not answer questions. Repeating the same sound byte over and over again is not answering anything. That is not the behavior of someone who represents the people.

I wasn't even sure where I stood on the rail. But I feel absolutely sick to my stomach that one person has unquestionable power.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:02 AM

177 posts, read 685,763 times
Thank you, Governor Scott, for saving the state of Florida millions of dollars (in the long run). "High speed" (it's not really high speed) rail is an answer to a question that the United States does not have.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:04 AM

257 posts, read 470,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
Thank you, Governor Scott, for saving the state of Florida millions of dollars (in the long run). "High speed" (it's not really high speed) rail is an answer to a question that the United States does not have.
What do you mean?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:06 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
What do you mean?
Yes, please do elaborate dlhansen. I would love to hear when and how the taxpayers will be on the hook. I've seen documentation that says otherwise. Now if there is something to show the opposite, I'd like to see it. Nothing has been offered thus far.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
It's a crying shame. While I personally would have probably never used it, it would have been a shot in the arm for our economy, and I believe it would have brought new business. Not to mention Tampa as a city would have come up several notches in so many ways. Rick Scott is definitely a fascist governor who absolutely does NOT have the best interest of Florida residents at heart. He is a multi-millionaire who made his money questionably, and is now running the state in a questionable and secretive way. I just hope he doesn't do us too much damage before his term is over.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM

257 posts, read 470,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
It's a crying shame. While I personally would have probably never used it, it would have been a shot in the arm for our economy, and I believe it would have brought new business. Not to mention Tampa as a city would have come up several notches in so many ways. Rick Scott is definitely a fascist governor who absolutely does NOT have the best interest of Florida residents at heart. He is a multi-millionaire who made his money questionably, and is now running the state in a questionable and secretive way. I just hope he doesn't do us too much damage before his term is over.
I totally agree, although I would have ridden the train myself. It would have been nice to be able to take a train to Orlando for a day trip. Scott has promised 700k new jobs for Florida in four years and he has now turned down at least 10k jobs that we weren't even going to be paying for. I really don't understand how this crook was elected in the first place.

Everybody knows that this rejection of federal funds was a Tea Party political move, and I think this will be a blunder that people in Florida will remember for a long time. Polls showed that the majority of Floridians were in favor of the high speed rail, yet Scott does not care. He is not a people's governor. I wish we could recall him.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well said. By and large, it appears the people of the state wanted rail. Citizens wanted it for a variety of reasons important to them: environment, jobs, tourism, elevating Florida's image, convenience, etc.

Rick Scott shot down rail due to his own agenda. Task forces were formed and it was agreed that taxpayers would not be on the hook for any additional costs. Still, in the end, he decided to act like a child, rather than the governor.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhanson View Post
"High speed" (it's not really high speed) rail is an answer to a question that the United States does not have.
Do you even know what you're talking about?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp01358 View Post
I totally agree, although I would have ridden the train myself. It would have been nice to be able to take a train to Orlando for a day trip. Scott has promised 700k new jobs for Florida in four years and he has now turned down at least 10k jobs that we weren't even going to be paying for. I really don't understand how this crook was elected in the first place.

Everybody knows that this rejection of federal funds was a Tea Party political move, and I think this will be a blunder that people in Florida will remember for a long time. Polls showed that the majority of Floridians were in favor of the high speed rail, yet Scott does not care. He is not a people's governor. I wish we could recall him.
You're definitely right. I would have also loved to have been able to take the rail to Orlando for the day. I was looking forward to seeing friends and catching a Magic game, while leaving the car at home.

The promise of new jobs has turned out to be a con. He's proven that he's nothing more than a puppet for big business. He's not looking out for the everyday citizens of Florida. He's more interested in cutting more deals for big business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay