Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Thanks, no you got me a bit worried. lol. I live in Pinellas and my address is designated as no-flood. Should I still be concerned about getting flooded? How do they decide on this designation?
Sorry! Just pay attention to what's coming, that's all.

If it's a cat 5 I wouldn't trust anything anywhere in Pinellas not to flood. In a 1 or 2 you're probably fine. In a 4, you could possibly end up on your own little island, which isn't really a good thing.

They base the evac zones on the height of the land and the distance to the water. Remember, on top of water, you have to think about wind too.

Also remember you could possibly go your entire life and not have a direct hit from a storm. Pack up your emergency kit so you're ready and just enjoy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 AM

121 posts, read 385,662 times
Sorry to break the news...but everything eventually meets its end. Just stay further inland if you want to protect yourself and your family. There's no way in predicting the weather, but you can plan ahead to be safe.

Statically, you are more likely to meet your death from a heart attack than a natural disaster to put things into perspective.

Last edited by starwins; 03-05-2011 at 10:35 AM..

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On-da-Beach View Post
ah yes... another Florida = Hurricanes thread...

I'll prefer this weather to ANYTHING up north where I hear everything is better.

Hurricanes strike all along the coast from Maine to South America so to focus on Florida makes no sense to me. Hugo passed through the panhandle and dumped more rain on Chicago than Florida a couple of years ago.

Make no mistake, hurricanes can be devastating, but to worry about a potential seems foolish to me. I worry more about the other drivers on the road since one of them is more likely to have a negative impact on my life than the weather.

but that's just me...
I agree with everything that you said, except....

Hugo hit South Carolina in 1989. It never hit Florida...or Chicago.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:05 AM

14 posts, read 22,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

I think we may be talking about Hurricane Ike. It hit Cincinnati (and all of Ohio) pretty hard.

Effects of Hurricane Ike in inland North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,347,014 times
We moved here, 10miles inland from Tampa Bay. We figured we get early warning to evacuate in hurricaine season, where in Michigan, where we moved from, we got tornados that did not warn at all. We can still enjoy the pristine Gulf waters, with an just under an hours drive.
We also bought hurricaine shutters for our home even though the neighbors laughed at it "cuz we never get hit" was all they had to say.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:08 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveTheHyatt View Post
I think we may be talking about Hurricane Ike. It hit Cincinnati (and all of Ohio) pretty hard.

Effects of Hurricane Ike in inland North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ike hit Texas, not Florida. He may be referring to Ivan?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:00 PM

39 posts, read 156,391 times
Thanks, guys. I appreciate all your honest input. Some may think "worrying about hurricanes [or any natural disaster] is silly" but, people who've never had any experience, don't know what to expect! We're comfortable with what we're used to! Thanks, again!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
A Cat 2-3 hurricane hit the Bay area directly back in 1985, Elena. It completely knocked down Indian Rocks fishing pier and did major damage throughout the Bay area but mostly on the Pinellas Gulf side. Also the Pinellas coastal area would do virtually nothing to protect Tampa in the event of a major hurrican direct hit.

Some forecast models have the entire downtown Tampa area under up to 20 feet of water in the event of a major direct hit. We've been very lucky but even a Vegas 25 cent slot will spit out a million bucks every great once in awhile.
Not so buddy. It sat well offshore in the middle grounds well over 100 miles away from Tampa. Never even made landfall in the Tampa area. We just got some strong southwest winds about 60mph out of that system.

Better check up on some facts.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:43 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post

I stand corrected...thanks!

was it Ike that skirted the panhandle then turned north and swamped the Mississippi Valley up into Chi-town?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:56 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
My aunt and uncle live in central FL and I know they got a bit of damage with the storms that hit in 2004. Granted nothing like any coast people, but from what they say it was pretty bad.

I don't say this to freak you out and I know smack central FL may not get hit as hard as the coasts, but I also don't think anyone can say it's totally safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay