U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM

3,928 posts, read 10,651,033 times

Advertisements

The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) publishes fair market rents (FMR) each year based on the number of bedrooms per unit. For 2011, in the Tampa Metro Area (Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, & Pinellas counties) the fair market rents are copied below. These figures are used as guidelines throughout the industry and actual rents will vary based on many factors.

The Final FY 2011 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA FMRs for All Bedroom Sizes

Efficiency - $714
One-Bedroom - $792
Two-Bedroom - $958
Three-Bedroom - $1,214
Four-Bedroom - $1,466

Some will ask why rent is so high when the economy is struggling. Others wish the guidelines applied to where they want to live. I don't know, but I expect it's a combination of supply and demand along with reserves, replacements, and routine maintenance costs.

You can lookup FMR for any state/county using the following link then clicking on the button:
FMR Documentation | HUD USER

If you've read this far, I hope you've found this useful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM

494 posts, read 1,505,316 times
Useful post TK. Actual rents I've experienced downtown Tampa
1 brdm - $900
3 bd penthouse - $2,000

Another factor in rents is cashflow. Specs bought up Tampa, market tanked, to avoid defaults they rent (or still default). Competition for renters pushes down rent rates. Discounted cashflow of rent stream pushes rental property sales prices downward. Rentals drag homes down with them. Lack of rentals is an indicator of economic growth in an area (i.e., turning around).

Old 03-07-2011, 02:33 PM

3,380 posts, read 8,254,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
The Housing and Urban Development (HUD) publishes fair market rents (FMR) each year based on the number of bedrooms per unit. For 2011, in the Tampa Metro Area (Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco, & Pinellas counties) the fair market rents are copied below. These figures are used as guidelines throughout the industry and actual rents will vary based on many factors.

The Final FY 2011 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL MSA FMRs for All Bedroom Sizes

Efficiency - $714
One-Bedroom - $792
Two-Bedroom - $958
Three-Bedroom - $1,214
Four-Bedroom - $1,466

Some will ask why rent is so high when the economy is struggling. Others wish the guidelines applied to where they want to live. I don't know, but I expect it's a combination of supply and demand along with reserves, replacements, and routine maintenance costs.

You can lookup FMR for any state/county using the following link then clicking on the button:
FMR Documentation | HUD USER

If you've read this far, I hope you've found this useful.

Quick question. With there being talk of eliminating Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, along with 30 year mortgages becoming luxury products, do you think rents will increase once this is done?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,519,135 times
Sounds very fair compared to where I live in Northern Virginia, $1,050 plus electric for an old one bedroom!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,199,952 times
Landlords Raising Rents as Demand Outpaces Supply - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20110311/bs_bw/mar2011bw20110310878610 - broken link)

In 33558 zip code RIGHT NOW rents are up to 2007 levels! I looked because we have to move IN the school boundaries for my son to continue going there and found that for whatever reason rents are wayyy up! NOT FAIR at all.

The rents are back to $1800 plus for a four bedroom! ridiculous! where do these people think we have this kind of money exactly? I don't get why renters who already took a hit and are "renting".....need more punishment! I hope those homes stay vacant! for a very long time.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM

877 posts, read 1,699,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Landlords Raising Rents as Demand Outpaces Supply - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20110311/bs_bw/mar2011bw20110310878610 - broken link)

In 33558 zip code RIGHT NOW rents are up to 2007 levels! I looked because we have to move IN the school boundaries for my son to continue going there and found that for whatever reason rents are wayyy up! NOT FAIR at all.

The rents are back to $1800 plus for a four bedroom! ridiculous! where do these people think we have this kind of money exactly? I don't get why renters who already took a hit and are "renting".....need more punishment! I hope those homes stay vacant! for a very long time.
Fair? What do rental rates have to do with fairness? They are influenced by the market and right now owners can get more money for their rentals.

If you owned rental property right now you would charge $1400 when you could get $1800 because you would want to be fair? Really?

Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 PM

Actually why would I want to strain my tenant financially and LOSE him, just to be another greedy American???? now why would I want to do that?

I am sorry I don't believe in taking advantage of people especially in terrible economic times like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
Fair? What do rental rates have to do with fairness? They are influenced by the market and right now owners can get more money for their rentals.

If you owned rental property right now you would charge $1400 when you could get $1800 because you would want to be fair? Really?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM

515 posts, read 1,083,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Actually why would I want to strain my tenant financially and LOSE him, just to be another greedy American????
False dichotomy. No landlord would rent to someone who can't afford the price in the first place.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:45 AM

149 posts, read 426,503 times
Rents are up b/c everybody went broke and lost their houses, and now those people, +all the renters from before need a place to live. Supply and demand.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:10 AM

So, if someone is broke, he/she needs to be punished by a greedy landlord? sent in the street for loosing a job? hmmm, that doesn't add up well! I am not sure how many people loose their jobs PURPOSELY!

Now we are going to have a large supply and less demand, and apartments are going to be popular again!
That's all this is going to accomplish.

OR........The same Old Florida thing (or US for that matter) where people will end up spending 90% of their income on housing leaving nothing for anything else! Not by choice, but here's an example, if someone rented a property for say $1400, a landlord can't just waltz in and increase that to $1800 on those people...if they do that, then they will put a strain and force that tenant out...ending up with an empty property, so instead of having $1400 a month from that tenant they'll have nothing instead! That's pretty dumb! This is the kind of stuff that makes people angry around here, it seems like the laws are made for the greedy and the honest citizens just have to be abused non stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
Rents are up b/c everybody went broke and lost their houses, and now those people, +all the renters from before need a place to live. Supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or