U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 05:15 PM

19 posts, read 43,787 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to Tampa. I was thinking of Wesley Chapel. But we now discovered New Port Richey. Any advice on that area? Nice neighborhoods? Average insurance? Average home price? Jobs? Safety? Distance to beach and boat launch? We really love New Tampa but we are debating if we would want to be closer to the beach.

We also thought about Carrollwood, Temple Terrace and Town n Country but we were told these were older areas. Does anyone have any advice about these areas?

If you were moving to the Tampa bay area and were looking for a house between 120,000 and 180,000, what would be your top neighborhood choices? We would like to find a pretty new home maybe 2000 or newer. We would be willing to buy an older home if it was in excellent condition. A home with a screened in pool would be great but we would also consider a community pool. We are thinking we should hope to pay 3,000 or less for taxes. We would like to be somewhere within driving distance of Largo and New Tampa to see family. But are looking for a nice neighborhood to move to and start a family.

In your opinion, What are the greatest places to buy a home in the Tampa Bay area for a middle class couple in their early 30's?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM

436 posts, read 1,010,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycac View Post
I am planning on moving to Tampa. I was thinking of Wesley Chapel. But we now discovered New Port Richey. Any advice on that area? Nice neighborhoods? Average insurance? Average home price? Jobs? Safety? Distance to beach and boat launch? We really love New Tampa but we are debating if we would want to be closer to the beach.

We also thought about Carrollwood, Temple Terrace and Town n Country but we were told these were older areas. Does anyone have any advice about these areas?

If you were moving to the Tampa bay area and were looking for a house between 120,000 and 180,000, what would be your top neighborhood choices? We would like to find a pretty new home maybe 2000 or newer. We would be willing to buy an older home if it was in excellent condition. A home with a screened in pool would be great but we would also consider a community pool. We are thinking we should hope to pay 3,000 or less for taxes. We would like to be somewhere within driving distance of Largo and New Tampa to see family. But are looking for a nice neighborhood to move to and start a family.

In your opinion, What are the greatest places to buy a home in the Tampa Bay area for a middle class couple in their early 30's?
Town 'n' Country has some crime problems. I'd steer clear of it.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM

13,772 posts, read 35,178,231 times
Where is work and what is an acceptable commute time. Living in NPR can be a LONG commute every day but then Wesley Chapel can be too, it all depends on work location and commute hours.

There are parts of TnC that have problems especially the area around Webb Av. There are some areas like Country Way that are fine and have newer homes

Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 AM

4 posts, read 5,227 times
If I were to choose, it would be Tampa over New Port Richey. Simply because I have lived in both areas and know there are safer neighborhoods, better schools, more shopping selections, shorter drive time to the famous Clearwater beach (If living close to I-275), and many more general opportunites.
The property taxes would be about $3,000-$3,400.
With that price range, I would say Town n Country in Countryway and Temple Terrace would be the areas for you. There may not be so many new homes but you can find a lot of them in excellent condition and with pools. Also you could travel south on the Veteren's Expressway to visit your family in South Tampa and Largo.
I hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:45 AM

494 posts, read 1,506,602 times
Are you working?

Regarding the boat ramp and your particular boat do you want access to the Gulf or the Bay. If it's the Gulf I'd be looking from Hernando Beach south to Dunedin. Just snoop along the water. There are TONS places for sale and things to explore. Stay west of US 19.

If you are working anywhere much other than NW Tampa I'd ignore the above.

If you want the Bay then I would draw a circle about 5 miles radius from where you work and start with that. Why sit in traffic if you can get it right from the start?

If your going to drive to a ramp then what's the difference between 3 or 6 miles. No big deal. You can rent a slip or boat storage also.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM

26,825 posts, read 41,617,822 times
Check the sheriffs website if you like an area before you are making your decision.

Every city/town you mention has the good and the bad areas...it is basically just as like every where else.

There are pretty good deals out there and you have to take in consideration that Pasco County has a lower property tax than Hissborough County....that nasty taxes comes back every year and will go up in the future when the values go up.

Gas prices are high so if you like the beach then move closer to the beach...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or