Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:17 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The automatic window couldn't be closed anymore. Nothing worked anymore for that window.
I had a car once that had a chronic issue with a related problem. With that car, if you slammed the door while the window was down, the window would never go back up again w/o repairs.

I imagine you would have realized it by now if your car had that problem. However, it is still possible that one of the mechanics slammed the living crap out of the door while the window was cracked and that triggered something. Hard to prove obviously... your best bet at this point is probably to steer clear of this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:55 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Update;

They just called and we picked up the car...I guess that by writing the entire story down on their own paper might have helped...they fixed the window claiming on the paper it was a $ 189 repair.

They didn't say anything about what was broken, only that the window was working and again some jokes from the manager that to me are improper (asking if we came to pick him up for dinner, while there were 4 other men waiting in the shop)...the guy who helped us was friendly and joking about drinking beer, etc...a joke is not bad...

Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I went for an oil change a couple months ago to the local shop near my house. The owner then told me I needed new tires and rear brakes (over $800.00). I wasn't interested in paying anymore money so I said no. He then proceeded to try to sell me a "coupon book" for $40 that would "save" me money off these and other type repairs in the future and said I "would be crazy not to buy it." Well, call me crazy but I did the math in my head and no, it would NOT save me any money, it would be a wash at best. And I felt insulted at his comment.

I agree, so many of these mechanics are scam artists. I miss our old mechanic in Lakeland, he was great (and honest!)

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM

I forgot to mention that in the last 3 month's we had to go to the Dodge dealer twice for recalls that we received....and of course twice we were called within 30 min. that we were advised to have work done on our car....amongst the work were oil changes, etc..all for a total of the great price of over $ 800.-

We went for the oil changes shortly after when the Dodge dealer mailed the flyers with approx. $ 20.- for an oil change, incl new filter and tire rotations....

So we received these calls after both recalls, when we went back for the oil change and since we received 3 of these flyers and own the same amount of cars we used one for each car...and for all cars we had these calls with different repairs. The one car which still had factory 36 miles warranty had a few items that we wanted to be looked at....and that was done but they didn't were that upbeat writing it down as when they were making that 30 min. phone call.

Really, really do these people think they are doing us a favor and are good business people? IMO they insult my intelligence and they are annoying.

The very down side is that we have no clue when to trust them, even if it would be in our best interest to trust them...

We take very good care of our cars and change tires on time.

English visitors - Niveauplus | Een beter milieu begint bij de oliepeilstok-sensor

This website is started by the previous owner of Castrol Oil in The Netherlands who made a lot of money by promoting oil changes....after he retired he stated that the truth is that cars don't need an oil change so often and that people are over paying for oil changes they don't really need.

Basically it is not bad to drive longer without an oil change as long as there is enough oil, so don't forget to check it out...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,809 times
if there is something wrong with your car for real, and they reccomend getting it fixed and you decline, they are supposed to put it in writing on the invoice stating "customer declined", which you will sign. This way if they reccomend new brakes and you say no, than you rear end someone 20 minutes later, they cannot be held accountable. Same thing as if they reccomend anti-freeze and you decline, and then your car overheats on the way home, they cant be held accountable.

If they reccomended a bunch of things, you declined, and when you got your invoice and none of it was on there, they were lying to you. If they put it in writing and it is a lie, it could be a little self-incriminating.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:46 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
TYPICAL! Tell them to take a hike and stick to the issue at hand. We had the same problem.

They're desperate as people are starting taking care of their own issues considering what they charge these days!

Quote:
Is it just me or is every one having to deal with the same annoying issues with car repair shops.

In the last couple of month's we had 3 cars brought into either the dealership or a repair shop for an oil change, brakes and tires.

Every time we get a call within 30 min. that something else needs to be repaired. it is always something that will cost between $ 200- $ 300 and really needs to be addressed.

We had some coupons coming in by mail and used them...and everytime the same call. One car had warranty and not much miles on it and of course the call was for something that was not covered under the warranty.

Today we brought one car for 4 tires. We were not shocked to get the call that we now need new brakes, some fluid, etc...when we came they already asked us about an oil change which was done last month. They had an offer for buy 2 get 2 free tires.

If you would double the price of the 2 tires it wouldn't be the same price since they add some road hazard and alligning for 1 yr which makes it closer to 4 new tires without that road hazard and alligning. Since other stores were charging higher we decided to go for the 4 tires...but to get that call again within 30 minutes made me so mad!

I'm done with these repair scam shops. Luckily we are not falling for it, but what about young people who get scared and fall for their non sense and perhaps older couples or people who are easily to get scared.

In some cases there might be a truth to the repair, but in the last few month's we have seen enough of how bad this industry is working and we have not seen one exception....

Sorry but I needed to rant...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
LOL, My right door window motor is broken, they want $500 to fix it!!!! No need to open that window anymore! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I had a car once that had a chronic issue with a related problem. With that car, if you slammed the door while the window was down, the window would never go back up again w/o repairs.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
The best way to avoid these ripoff repair bills is to do the maintenance as stated in your driver manual. Once you follow that, unless you notice your car behaving badly do not fall for the "you need to fix this" call.

If someone says you are leaking a fluid, go check the fluid level yourself. If the fluid level is not low, you are not leaking. If you think they may be removing fluid to make you think it is leaking, fill up the fluid and keep an eye on it.

Also, if you get a call saying you need to change out a fluid, google it or look in your manual. It will state how often and which fluids need to be changed.

If you have a check engine light on your dashboard go to Advanced Auto Parts and have them scan your car and give you the error code. Go home and google that error code and get educated on what the issue is. Then call your mechanic and tell them what is wrong with your car using the technical terms you just learned. Example

I had a bad coil on my car which made it stutter, run rough and idle very roughly. There was little power and my wife thought it was the transmission. (when I drove it, I knew it was no the transmission but had no idea what it was) I had the check engine light scanned, got the code and googled it. The code was for a misfire on Cylinder 4. Google told me the misfire is due to the coil. Google also showed told me how many labor hours are involved in changing the coil, or if I wanted how to change it myself and order the part.

I;m telling you this because if I didn't find out what the issue was I very well could have taken it to a shop and they could have said I had a bad valve, bad transmission, o2 sensor or who knows what and I would have never known. BTW, it too me 1 hour to change out the coil and the part was $60. I always call and get a quite just so I know how much money I am saving. It would have cost $260 to get done at a repair shop.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
if there is something wrong with your car for real, and they reccomend getting it fixed and you decline, they are supposed to put it in writing on the invoice stating "customer declined", which you will sign. This way if they reccomend new brakes and you say no, than you rear end someone 20 minutes later, they cannot be held accountable. Same thing as if they reccomend anti-freeze and you decline, and then your car overheats on the way home, they cant be held accountable.

If they reccomended a bunch of things, you declined, and when you got your invoice and none of it was on there, they were lying to you. If they put it in writing and it is a lie, it could be a little self-incriminating.
They didn't ask me to sign....I understand what you are saying. To me it was very fishy that they told me over the phone the rear brake fluid was leaking while we had the entire week that the car was in our driveway not one drop of fluid (the driveway was recently pressure washed) and it wasn't mentioned on the statement he gave me. Only the fluid needs to be changed.

When we were bringing the car in that morning he had us wait due to calling another customer with all kinds of items that needed work on their car. That client declined and he told the employees to check that car again.

I would trust it more if they wouldn't do it on every visit. It started when we bought our first car in the US and ever since then every time you step onto a car dealers premises for a repair or service they will always claim other work.

That is not what I experienced in Europe....but the difference might be that over here they work on commission.

I like the US system way better except for this!

Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Quote:
They didn't ask me to sign....I understand what you are saying. To me it was very fishy that they told me over the phone the rear brake fluid was leaking while we had the entire week that the car was in our driveway not one drop of fluid (the driveway was recently pressure washed) and it wasn't mentioned on the statement he gave me. Only the fluid needs to be changed.

When we were bringing the car in that morning he had us wait due to calling another customer with all kinds of items that needed work on their car. That client declined and he told the employees to check that car again.

I would trust it more if they wouldn't do it on every visit. It started when we bought our first car in the US and ever since then every time you step onto a car dealers premises for a repair or service they will always claim other work.

That is not what I experienced in Europe....but the difference might be that over here they work on commission.

I like the US system way better except for this!

Ive noticed since Ive moved home and go to independently owned shops I have not had this problem. I wish I could have found independetly owned shops close to me when I lived in Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay