Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Is it just me or is every one having to deal with the same annoying issues with car repair shops.

In the last couple of month's we had 3 cars brought into either the dealership or a repair shop for an oil change, brakes and tires.

Every time we get a call within 30 min. that something else needs to be repaired. it is always something that will cost between $ 200- $ 300 and really needs to be addressed.

We had some coupons coming in by mail and used them...and everytime the same call. One car had warranty and not much miles on it and of course the call was for something that was not covered under the warranty.

Today we brought one car for 4 tires. We were not shocked to get the call that we now need new brakes, some fluid, etc...when we came they already asked us about an oil change which was done last month. They had an offer for buy 2 get 2 free tires.

If you would double the price of the 2 tires it wouldn't be the same price since they add some road hazard and alligning for 1 yr which makes it closer to 4 new tires without that road hazard and alligning. Since other stores were charging higher we decided to go for the 4 tires...but to get that call again within 30 minutes made me so mad!

I'm done with these repair scam shops. Luckily we are not falling for it, but what about young people who get scared and fall for their non sense and perhaps older couples or people who are easily to get scared.

In some cases there might be a truth to the repair, but in the last few month's we have seen enough of how bad this industry is working and we have not seen one exception....

Sorry but I needed to rant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:44 PM

463 posts, read 1,052,665 times
They will always claim something is wrong with your car. I think for the most part they say partial truth. Every car has something you should fix, but majority of the time, the tiny defect won't affect you for a while until in breaks.
Best way to deal with it, is to know a little about your car and be prepared to say no; do the work i asked to do.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:03 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
There is something that can always use replacing on a car. Dont fall for it. Just get what you needed to have done taken care of. I am mechanically inclined and spent my earlier year building/restoring cars (my teens). I scare shop owners and usually argue with them because some are liers. I did have one lock me in an office before when I was a little younger and more naive and wasnt weight training two hours a day. They forced me to pay in return for my release. They were overcharging me for something I didnt even want to have done to the tune of hundreds of dollars. I am now 6'2" 230 lbs so I feel like I can be a little argumentative and get away with it, and would probably end up beating someone senseless if they tried to lock me somewhere.

All of this said, I will not bring cars to private shops anymore. I ask my friends to look at their car or to go with them when they bring their car in, but one thing I always reccomend first and foremost is to bring the car to a dealership. The techs have no money to lose by being honest. Private shops dishonesty directly leads to the owners ability to put food in his childrens mouths. This dishonsty is rampant in the automotive business because most people do not understand the inner workings of an automobile and rely so heavily upon them.

As a side lesson: You should never rely so heavily upon something you know nothing about. Nothing personal, it is prob 97% of the population.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:17 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,456 times
I used a nationwide brand shop when I lived there. I paid for over 2000 dollars in repairs that I didnt need and I didnt know it until I brought it to my uncle and he was like you didnt need this stuff.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:23 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I used a nationwide brand shop when I lived there. I paid for over 2000 dollars in repairs that I didnt need and I didnt know it until I brought it to my uncle and he was like you didnt need this stuff.
Case and point.

Although a lot of those shops are a nationwide brand, they are still franchises, meaning each shop could be privately owned.

People, please be careful when having work done on your car, these guys can be legal scam artists, and who the hell can stop them? Whos to say they didnt do the work? Whos to say it didnt need to be done. Surely not you, and not the police.

The automobile many times puts us in a situation that we are forced to blow money because there isnt another option. On your way home from having your wallet killed at the shop, you can stop and put $70 worth of gas in your car... why do either? becuase you dont have a choice.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
I am an advocate for local mechanics. Before using one, ask around at the part shops who the recommend and have experience with. Google the shop and check their BBB report. Begin building a relationship with your mechanic. If you build a good relationship you may find that even though the book says a certain procedure will take 3 hours, the mechanic will bill you for the actual time that was spent on the procedure (always is less).

Other things you can learn to do on your own. Not only do you save a bundle but you know it was done right. You can find all sorts of free information and videos online on how to do just about anything.

So far an my van I have changed a a bad coil, struts and shocks. I always change my front brake by myself (disc brakes,... never done drums). I do not change my own oil because its almost the same price to have it done at a shop and I don;t have to get messy or dispose of the oil.

Pretty much, unless it's covered under warranty I'm doing the work myself. Every single time I take my car in to somewhere to get work done I always get screwed. I highly recommend avoiding Just Brakes and Tire Kingdom based on **MY** personal experienced. Both shops have extremely high labor rates and will do what they can to get more money out of you.

I miss my old mechanic for things I didn't want to do myself.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:42 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Is it just me or is every one having to deal with the same annoying issues with car repair shops.
Yes. I use local shops, and the last one I used last week has an A+ BBB rating, but still I'm left wondering whether I'm getting ripped off. Car repairs under $100 are unheard of now days- a basic repair is a couple hundred bucks and it doesn't take much to get over $500 and start pushing a grand.

Places like the oil change chains and the tire chains are notorious for upsells. I buy tires at Costco now because they have nothing to upsell.

I am thinking it might be best to only worry about it when your car starts running poorly or there is a visible problem. Every little recommendation by the shop can really add up. I've spent hundreds if not thousands on taking my car in when the check engine light is on. That light is evil on many cars and I am convinced it leads to thousands of dollars of unnecessary sensor replacements over the lifespan of a vehicle.

I've always been a big car enthusiast but lately I've thought about buying an all-electric car as our second vehicle. I like the simplicity of it vs. a combustible engine vehicle or worse, a hybrid. I doubt I'll bite, although I'd be tempted if they were more affordable.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 PM

48 posts, read 121,412 times
2 words for you...Brazzeal's Goodyear. Go there. They are on Kennedy just south of the Westshore Plaza near Sports Authority. I had an excellent experience of honesty and quality there just recently when I needed 4 new tires. Do a Google search for them and just read all the positive reviews. The price was good too, they beat what Sears quoted me by about $50.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
The story is becoming worse but I'm ready and prepared. We picked up the car and walked around the car before going into their office. Just to see that there are no things from the outside that weren't there when we brought it in.

We noticed new Cooper tires as we agreed upon. At this point I will not disclose the franchise or corporate owned tire company, perhaps later.

The manager is the one who helped us and I have to say I don't like the remarks he made during the morning drop off, picking up, but that aside....("so your like pimping in your 300"...I don't think it is appropriate to say that to a customer that comes to your store for a first time tire purchase)

We drove off with both cars after receiving an estimate for additional things that need to be done to our car (over $ 900) and during the morning call it was "leaking brake fluid", but now it was replacement of fluids for 2 items $ 145 per item, new brakes (replaced over Christmas at a different shop where we usually going and at the dealership we had an oil change also over Christmas just after the brake pads and they didn't mention that item),....and the cars drivers window was opened a little bit. it was left open since it was hot outside and to wait for the A/C to cool the car and then close the window....

The automatic window couldn't be closed anymore. Nothing worked anymore for that window. So i called the shop and explained what was going on and we only left like 10 min. before that. They stated they always open the window for check ups and since they leave the keys in the car. Immediately he told me if I accused him of breaking it on purpose, which I stated "no not on purpose but something caused it not to work during the time the car was at your shop"! We went back as he asked us to and then the manager checked it and stated the window was off the rail. He also stated that it could have happened during the time the car was there but that would be a coincident and not their fault. i explained that this morning at 7.45 am there was a lot of fog and moisture and we had the window open and closed to clean the window a little before driving the car there and it was working perfectly and the window was closed when we arrived. He told me to leave the car there and wanted me to sign a work order. I took the pen and wrote on the paper that the window was in working order when we dropped the car off and now the window was not working again and what he had stated...The manager was asking me if I was going to write a book...I said "No, just stating what happened so we are all clear about it" and then I signed it. Now we have to wait and see what will happen when we pick up the car.

I never thought these shops were franchise, but it could be that this is a franchise.
I understand that shops want to make money but don't they understand that even a person with not much knowledge of cars is not falling for all these B.S. repairs that they tell you. Not once have I been to a shop and they just did what I asked without calling me for more work. If they would tell me when i pick up the car it would be a little different, but within 30 min. after leaving is to me that they are just looking "how to scam me", which if very offense to me. Isn't it normal to do the work first that the shop is asked to do and then perhaps check out the car. I never requested to have the car checked....it started with asking me for the oil change, while the sticker with the date is on the car....dumb, dumb dumb and annoying.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:34 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
I always tell them I am going to sell or trade the car next month and just need X done. Being a woman they always think they can add $$$ to the bill. I had a guy tell me the transmission needed to be replaced because there were silver flecks in the fluid. It is sad but you do have to be sneaky too. Tell them the dealership just did X and you want it in writing that this is a problem so you can take it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay