U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM

26,825 posts, read 41,610,489 times

Advertisements

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/march/222734/Teacher-tried-to-buy-$4000-worth-of-meth-deputies-said.html

Teacher tried to buy $4,000 worth of meth, deputies said--
A Tampa middle-school teacher was arrested after deputies said he tried to buy $4,000 worth of methamphetamine.

Keith Bernard Jones, 39, was arrested at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday near the intersection of Fletcher Avenue and Dale Mabry Highway.

Deputies said Jones, who teaches at Davidsen Middle School, met with an undercover detective to purchase two ounces of methamphetamine. Jones brought $4,000 in cash with him, deputies said.

Lynne Donahue's son is in Jones' sixth-grade home room class. She said his arrest is very disappointing.

"They should definitely be looking up to their teachers and that's one you can't look up to," she said.

Longtime neighbor David Harkins said he liked Jones and never thought twice about all of the cars that stopped by his house.

"I just thought he had a lot of friends," Harkins said. "I had no idea that he was doing anything illegal. I mean, he was a straight-up guy."

-------------------------------------------

How many teachers have we seen in the past years who either didn't do a good job of teaching....touching students or having sex with them....

I'm glad this teacher will never teach a day in his life!

Tenure cancelled, to me that is great news. Let the good teachers earn more money and the bad ones be outed and replaced.

Every one of us knows good and bad teachers. My kids had some of the best teachers who should earn way more money and they also had some of the worst who are a disgrace to the profession of teaching.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 PM

426 posts, read 1,129,285 times
I'm not a teacher, but in my field I've worked with "kids" who were literally just out of school that were much more professional, productive, etc. than people who had been working in the field for many years. If we didn't pay the college grads what they were worth, they'd go elsewhere in no time, and we'd be stuck with the guy with 20 years experience that is useless.

I've also seen the opposite, of course, which is what the tenure system is fixed around.

Education today is a different animal. Should a bright and enthusiastic 24yr old computer science teacher be making less than a 60 yr old PE teacher who is working on nothing but retirement? Only if you want the comp sci teacher to be working for the IT company down the road next year instead of teaching.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:34 AM

2,727 posts, read 4,631,549 times
If this is the case, it isn't really bad. It gives THREE years for teachers to get their act together
Quote:
The evaluation system used to determine which teachers get merit raises and those who may face dismissal will be based at least half on how much their students improve on the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test and other exams over a three year period.
Hmm I wonder what the other half is.

Source: Gov. Scott signs Florida teacher pay, tenure bill - BusinessWeek

I don't know about you guys but I like the tenure system of the univerisities where you have five years to demonestrate yourself for tenureship. Those who make it are in general the very best ones. If you can't pass, you can stay in the university but as a research professor and now you bring your own money through research grants.

What I worry about this though is that students may just end up being coached to pass those tests for the teachers to get paid and that would be "learning to recall." Well, may be there is no other way.....

Old 03-30-2011, 03:03 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,492,353 times
I think this is bad for these reasons:

1. a teacher has absolutely NO control over the students they get
2. a teacher who is at a "bad" school (read: ghetto or white trash parents) whose parents do not care have limited opportunities to change schools
3. a teacher cannot really punish a kid who misbehaves or just does not care.

I equate it to a manager of a company who has to maintain a high level of production from his subordinates, but did not hire them, cannot fire them and cannot discipline them.

This is not the solution. The solution is to let these kids fail and fail hard, then let them see for themselves how good life is without a HS diploma and no life skills.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I think this is bad for these reasons:

1. a teacher has absolutely NO control over the students they get
2. a teacher who is at a "bad" school (read: ghetto or white trash parents) whose parents do not care have limited opportunities to change schools
3. a teacher cannot really punish a kid who misbehaves or just does not care.

I equate it to a manager of a company who has to maintain a high level of production from his subordinates, but did not hire them, cannot fire them and cannot discipline them.

This is not the solution. The solution is to let these kids fail and fail hard, then let them see for themselves how good life is without a HS diploma and no life skills.
I think it is easy to judge in a "differential" basis the success of a teacher. Not in absolute terms! All of what you mentioned are legitimate but doesn't preclude one to test the effectivness of a teacher. One could assinged it as a "background noise" things that you mentioned no matter what is the origins. So, still you can check the effectiveness of a teacher in a "differential basis."

BTW, I am not sold in what they are proposing but just saying how one could do it effectively

Old 03-30-2011, 04:54 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,661,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/march/222734/Teacher-tried-to-buy-$4000-worth-of-meth-deputies-said.html

Teacher tried to buy $4,000 worth of meth, deputies said--
A Tampa middle-school teacher was arrested after deputies said he tried to buy $4,000 worth of methamphetamine.

Keith Bernard Jones, 39, was arrested at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday near the intersection of Fletcher Avenue and Dale Mabry Highway.

Deputies said Jones, who teaches at Davidsen Middle School, met with an undercover detective to purchase two ounces of methamphetamine. Jones brought $4,000 in cash with him, deputies said.

Lynne Donahue's son is in Jones' sixth-grade home room class. She said his arrest is very disappointing.

"They should definitely be looking up to their teachers and that's one you can't look up to," she said.

Longtime neighbor David Harkins said he liked Jones and never thought twice about all of the cars that stopped by his house.

"I just thought he had a lot of friends," Harkins said. "I had no idea that he was doing anything illegal. I mean, he was a straight-up guy."

-------------------------------------------

How many teachers have we seen in the past years who either didn't do a good job of teaching....touching students or having sex with them....

I'm glad this teacher will never teach a day in his life!

Tenure cancelled, to me that is great news. Let the good teachers earn more money and the bad ones be outed and replaced.

Every one of us knows good and bad teachers. My kids had some of the best teachers who should earn way more money and they also had some of the worst who are a disgrace to the profession of teaching.
So punish everyone because of few dumba$$es.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 PM

18,847 posts, read 33,498,889 times
The best teachers will leave this profession...then what will you do?

Old 03-30-2011, 04:59 PM

426 posts, read 1,129,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The best teachers will leave this profession...then what will you do?
Why will the best teachers leave?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,661,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Because we refuse to put up with the BS anymore. We can go be abused somewhere else for far more money.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka1000 View Post
Because we refuse to put up with the BS anymore. We can go be abused somewhere else for far more money

The best teachers will leave because they are not paid for what they are worth, that's all. It's not a matter of tenure or not (that's just a cover for people who don't understand the whole thing). I have no problem with a strict tenure requirement that will weed out those who are incompetent but pay good to those who deserve and are talented. Otherwise you will get people who have nowhere to go but teaching.......

We have similar discussion here..

Pinellas County getting a 60mil cut in education! WOW! (again)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or